· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default RE: Fin problem and Sideways list

0 Not allowed!
    Hiya...

RE: Glofish tetra - 4 years old

Ive got a problem now with my other Glofish tetra....actually two.

Problem #01: Fin Rot

I noticed it about a week ago. They're deteriorating. Well, only his Dorsal and Anal fins are. All others are fine.

I have the sequence here. The pictures are from current to oldest. Around 3 days ago a strange "something" showed up on his Anal fin.

https://app.photobucket.com/u/John_J...3-4bee1f05b878

01/03/21 - Picture shows that "something" is gone, leaving a big chunk missing in his Anal fin.

Backstory:
    I had originally thought that the damage was due him jumping over a tank separator, a couple times, about 3 weeks ago.
    Then I thought that the problem was due to depression or stress because his tankmate of 4 years had passed away, two weeks ago.
    Now, I think that it is some sort of fin rot. But not the kind from a poorly maintained tank. His is well maintained.

Treatment:
    Two days ago I started him on Kanaplex, via tank water. 2nd dosage was today.

Problem # 2 - Sideways list.

For this one, basically he rolls over, slowly sideways. It's an infrequent thing, but I've seen it 3 times over the last 4 days. Its like he'll be floating there fine, and then slowly list sideways till he's flat...then he'll snap out of it and right himself. It's almost like it happens when he dozes off, because all the time before he had no problem swimming around or holding himself in position. And then I wont see it again for a long time after. He only sinks a little bit before he snaps out of it.

For a demo, hold your hand out sideways, fingers extended... in front of you, with your thumb pointing up, representing his dorsal fin. Now just slowly, lazily, rotate your hand to the left, lowering it a little bit, as you rotate it. Go till your thumb is now pointing sideways. Then suddenly snap your hand back up to the upright position. Thats basically it.

Maybe this is swimbladder related. But being that 99.9 % of the time he swims around or can hold himself in position normal...I dont know whats causing it.

So there's his problems. It should be noted that before 2 weeks ago ( When his tank mate died), I dont believe he had either of these two problems. I was at the tank constantly, trying to help his tankmate.

Like i said, I originally thought that he was experiencing some sort of depression from the loss of his buddy. To counter that...I did get him a new tank mate a week ago.

I 'm sure its not the tank conditions. It is well maintained. He has been living this way for the last 4 years. His appetite is not affected. You can see from the pictures that, other than the fin rot, he looks in good shape.

A depression might explain whats happening to his fins, but i cant explain whats happening with the Sideways list.

Your advise is welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    What other tankmates are in the tank? New fish can bring in unwanted pathogenic bacteria, hence the need to quarantine for a few weeks to months.

Fish don't experience depression. Shoaling fish do get skittish and stressed out in reduced numbers.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Hello Rocksor,

Thanks for your reply.

He has one other tankmate in there. Yes, I do believe that stress was involved. His mood changed after his tankmate of 4 years died. Then after a few days, I got him this new one.

Pllease look thought the series of photobuckett pictures. Specifically
    RaspberyFin03a and RaspberyFin03b

Originally I had thought that his fin damage was due to some kind of damage, then I thought that maybe it was stress due to the loss of his friend. Then when I saw the "something", which I circled on the pictures, I didnt know what was going on. What do you think that something is?

Someone else who also saw the pictures wasnt sure, but added that due to that his other fins (other than the dorsal and anal), dont have damage, that maybe his condition isnt fin rot.

Ideas?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like it's being attacked from a specific direction.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yes. Yes it does.
    Questions are.....What is it and what can I do about it?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    If you figure out who the culprit is, then you need to physically separate them from each other.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry....Huh??

Who the culprit is? He is not being attacked by his tankmate. Because of his "condition", there is currently a tank separator keeping them apart.

The culprit is some kind of fin rot that only affects two of his fins, or some "growth" that causes damage...or some other condition.....that I need to find out...and how to treat it before it gets worse.