· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first Barb of many. - Strider199   Have another barb ;-) - steeler58   

Default Moving out of a 65 gallon tank

0 Not allowed!
    Good-day I have a well established 65 Gallon tank and have an opinion question I know bigger is always better I do have a question where bigger may not be the best option in my case.

I have a 65 gallon tank which I want to basically breakdown as I need the space to open up my living room and put a couch where the tank sits I have a slate platform which is on one side of my room where my wood burning stove sits we have had the stove since we bought our house about ten years ago and rarely use it with my wifes asthma its just hard to use it for any prolonged period of time plus it gets the house so hot with that being said I want to remove my stove! this leaves a nice big platform where I would like to place a fishtank the back drop is a beautifull rock wall that sits on the back end of the platform which would look gorgeous behind the tank.I can move the 65 gallon onto this platform but being I am moving the tank anyway I figured why not upgrade the problem I am running into is deciding on whether I want to go with a 75 gallon tank or 90 gallon tank the floor should hold without any issue as I have extra support in the basement already for the platform and stove as is!the problem or Dilema I am facing is the height. a 4 foot tank would fit perfect up against the back wall so longer is always better for the most part when it comes to aquariums going from a 65 to only a 75 may seem silly as its only 10 extra gallons but I think the extra foot and width would be beneficial when landscaping with my plants less depth for my lighting and more swimming room lengthwise for my fish.I would love to go with a 90 but my fear is that even though its only 3 extra inches it may not look right sitting up on the platform the platform sits about 8-10" high as is then add the height of the stand and the tank it just may not look right sitting on top of the platform.it may sit up too high plus I do not have have very high ceilings at all they are drop ceilings which would make it look even more crowded and sitting up too high if I went with a 90!

I know its only 10 extra gallons but I think adding the extra length is going to make a big difference I know its not really necessary but I plan on running two cannisters versus one on the new tank I am going to take some media from my current cannister and jumpstart the cycle with that in the new cannister then add my existing cannister when I move the fish and plants over I am also going to be running two circulation pumps as these have been very beneficial in my current tank so those will be moved over as well.

my current inhabitants are as follows

7 diamond tetras
    5 border loaches
    7 platy's
    1 rubbernose pleco
    1 albino bristlenose pleco

once the new tank is established I would like to add about 6-7 odessa Barbs I think they would look nice with the Diamonds although they do make me a little nervous I would not want them to start eating my plants.Though I did have tiger barbs at one point and they did not seem to bother them much.

I know this question is open for alot of opinion and debate I just wanted to get some opinions on this matter of going from a 65 to only a 75 or go with the 90 will there be much of a difference between the 75 & 90 other than those 3 inches and of course about another 200-250 lbs of weight.I honestly think it may sit too high but I am not quite sure I was thinking of building maybe a dummy cardboard model with stand & tank height of the two to really get a visual.

I am not very tall so as it is when having to reach the back or bottom of my tank now I need to stand on a stepladder so it would be probably about the same with a 90 its just longer than a 65 i think its the same width im not 100% sure on that! I could shoot some pics of the platform if it helps to better visualize

thanks
    Last edited by magic8; 12-30-2020 at 07:50 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Just to update though I have not gotten any responses yet I found a 75 gallon very clean looking tank with stand and versa hood for a really good price which I am heavily leaning pulling the trigger on still a little unsure if this is the right move I strung some lines along my back rock wall at heights of 49 1/2" (height with stand of 75) & 53" (height with stand for 90) I am 65" tall I did not realize my stove platform sits as high off the floor as it does it sits 16" off the floor so this puts the 75 top of the tank right at eye level while standing in front facing it the 90 would sit a few inches higher than eye level when standing so while standing I would slightly be looking up at it and a little more so while sitting on our couches!if the tank was not going on top of the platform A 90 would be a no brained but with the tank going on my platform this makes it a very difficult decision.if I go with a 75 which like mentioned I am heavily leaning towards I was thinking of possibly adding a canopy on top which would probably be another 3 inches or so this may complete it as I really like the look of a canopy I feel a canopy on the 90 if I would get a 90 would definitely make it look way too high!the only con with the tank & stand I found a small con but a con is its black I prefered a cherry or wood grain but for the price I hate to pass it up!

Such a tough decision it's really a great deal & price for the 75 gallon set up I came across I really hate to not pull the trigger and not get it in favor of a 90 then the 90 just sits up too high on the platform this is a tough decision!
    Last edited by magic8; 01-01-2021 at 05:00 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Get the 75G.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    ^agree!

The 75 that you found is calling your name, for sure. I hope you will get it.

I've personally chatted with more than one 90g tank owner who told me they wish they'd have gone with a 75.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last pic is the one of my current tank just had to throw it in there!!!

So I took some shots of the platform and rock wall backdrop try to look past the stove as I have not removed it yet!with the two measuring points obviously the higher one is the estimated 90 height not exact and the lower is the 75 a friend of mine brought up a good point not sure if you can tell from the pictures but I have a low ceiling and while cleaning a 90 galllon tank even though it's only 4" higher but there could be a chance I could rap my head a few times on the low drop ceiling being short when cleaning the bottom of my 65 and scraping I do need to use a step later I may or may not bang my head on the ceiling but chances are greater with that extra few inches.I really want to add a canopy so though it's a few inches shorter I think adding a canopy to the 75 would really complete the tank adding it to a 90 may push it too close to the ceiling and just make it look off

Thanks for your advice it's good to hear some other opinions if it was not going up on this platform I would probably go the 90 gallon route but where it is being placed I think the 75 just makes more sense just found out tonight that the person I'm getting the tank setup from is throwing in the filter a Fluval 406 for $50 so I think it's a great deal basically in a nut shell I'm getting the tank stand versa hood the filter plus a light which I probably won't use I have a better light but they have a marineland light for it I'll probably give it to a friend who can always use it as she's constantly upgrading tanks I think she has 5 or 6 right now I can't keep track she has wild kingdom over at her place with tanks & lizards

Thanks again for your opinions & advice
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by magic8; 01-02-2021 at 02:55 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    If you read back through your own posts, all of your arguments were FOR the 75g and AGAINST the 90g. Not a difficult decision - get the 75G.

You should also be able to transfer your existing canister filter as is and all stock to the new tank in the same day you set up the 75g. It's supporting your stocking now, it will do so with 10g more. Add the 2nd filter too, and wait a few months before adding new stock.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks Sue I planned on hooking the second cannister up to my existing tank about a week before I transfer everything over to the new tank & seeding it so I can move everything over in one shot.anyone using Carib sea eco complete substrate my neighbor started using it in one of her new set up’s for her planted tank & raves about it I’ve always used sand but she loves the eco complete for her new planted tank

Thanks

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   You need a friend for Beauty, since Ghost was a meany - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Second the Eco complete, it is fantastic for plants and so much easier to siphon through. I switched out some tanks to sand (due to cost of using Eco on all my tanks) and maintenance has been more difficult and its hard to avoid a sink of sand after cleaning, no matter how hard you try. Also Eco is forever, a great investment!

Good choice with the 75, as Sue said I also know of people who got a 90 and hate the extra height.
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you so much for your help,input,opinions and thoughts you guys are always there to help with any questions anyone has not just for myself but for anyone who asks you are all always very eager to help and give an honest straightforward opinion from your personal experiences you guys are great thank you again