· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    You will always see nitrates if ammonia drop to 0ppm is due to bacteria.

Watch the nitrite test for 5 minutes. Do not leave it. When nitrites are really high, it will change to the highest color, and then back to light blue within 5 minutes. Some folks miss seeing that because they walk away, and wait for the timer. The change from dark to light blue is an indication that nitrites are way too high to be read.

Ammonia will not evaporate. It's best that you don't dose ammonia above 1ppm. The tank will cycle with that much low ammonia.
    Thank you for the information! Today Ammonia is still a solid 1ppm, so I didnít test nitrates today. It seems to be dropping every 7 days so I would expect to see it drop again in a day or so. Nitrite reading is still 0ppm. Iíve read that itís important to watch the nitrite vial to see if the color changes at all. I watch it for the entire 5 minutes every time and I never see it change even slightly purple. I didnít know that if the color changes from dark to light blue could indicate the nitrite is too high. Iíll retest nitrite today and see if I notice a change of any kind. Is there anything I can do to calculate the actual nitrite reading in the event it is too high to be read? The testing instructions donít really say that you should shake the bottle violently like with the nitrate bottles. I shake the nitrite bottle but wondering if Iím not enough possibly?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I retested the nitrite just now, watching it for the full five minutes and it never changed color. It stayed the same light blue the whole time. Never darker or lighter and never purple. I was just curious because my ammonia is clearly dropping but Iím not seeing nitrites or Nitrates. My tap water has some nitrates in it already so to not have any being picked up on the test of my aquarium now is odd. Iíve even tried doing the test on my aquarium and then right after testing my tap water to make sure the kit isnít expired or I did something incorrectly. The kit picks up the nitrates in the tap but shows zero when I test the aquarium. I feel itís a accurate but itís confusing.

The ammonia must be going somewhere. Is it possible that the ammonia is being changed to nitrite and then to nitrate but the water evaporation is eliminating enough of the nitrate to not be detectable with the kit? Is that possible?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jgoldbergru View Post
    I retested the nitrite just now, watching it for the full five minutes and it never changed color. It stayed the same light blue the whole time. Never darker or lighter and never purple. I was just curious because my ammonia is clearly dropping but I’m not seeing nitrites or Nitrates. My tap water has some nitrates in it already so to not have any being picked up on the test of my aquarium now is odd. I’ve even tried doing the test on my aquarium and then right after testing my tap water to make sure the kit isn’t expired or I did something incorrectly. The kit picks up the nitrates in the tap but shows zero when I test the aquarium. I feel it’s a accurate but it’s confusing.

The ammonia must be going somewhere. Is it possible that the ammonia is being changed to nitrite and then to nitrate but the water evaporation is eliminating enough of the nitrate to not be detectable with the kit? Is that possible?
    DO you have a planted tank? Plants will eat ammonium before nitrates.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I did not have any plants at that time. I posted a new thread because the situation has changed.
    Thank you though!