· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

Default Thinking about a rice paddy

1 Not allowed!
    So, we are leaving Badger Manor next month for assorted reasons; for now, suffice it to say it is a good thing.

Once we've made the move, I am thinking about making a nano (5-10 gallon) rice paddy tank. A Sumatran rice paddy, to be specific. Blue rasboras, dwarf rasboras, shadow catfish (if I can find any) or kuhli loaches (if I can't), amano shrimp, and hopefully a breeding pair of licorice gourami, sparkling gourami, or betta imbellus.

I want to plant it with rice plants (open top, obviously), along with arrow root, christmas moss, and assorted aquatic weeds of a rice-paddyish type. This leads me to my problem. Aquascaping is one of my joys; I love arranging rocks, branches, and such. But there just doesn't seem to be much going on hard-scape-wise.

Any thoughts?

T
    Friends don't let friends use clown-puke gravel.
    www.whistlingbadger.com

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I'd suggest a minimum 10g to support that many different species but also consider a 20g long. This would give you much more room for aquascaping. I'm not sure what you mean when you say "there just doesn't seem to be much going on hardscape-wise". Going on where? Do you mean what's compatible with your rice paddy idea?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

1 Not allowed!
    No, I want this to be a small tank, less than 10g, long and shallow. I will probably custom build the tank to fit the space I have available; I'd like a fairly good-sized footprint, maybe 25" x 11", but only 6" deep. All the species I'm considering are very, very tiny, but I will definitely keep an eye on the overstocking risk.

By "not much going on hardscape-wise," I meant that rice paddies don't have any rocks or tree branches in them.
    Last edited by WhistlingBadger; 10-16-2020 at 02:31 AM.
    www.whistlingbadger.com

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   You need a friend for Beauty, since Ghost was a meany - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Oh wow I didn't even know this thread was posted. Rice paddy tank sounds neat in building it yourself that long it's pretty cool. I really can't wait to see it.

And another note I hope your move is going well, or went well and you guys are adjusting to city life, LOL.
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    Yeah, Nat, we got it done! The day before our scheduled move, we discovered that this house had hardwood under the carpet. So, yeah, what the heck, let's rip out a thousand square feet of carpet on top of everything else. ha ha ha

But we got it done. We're out of the country place; going over tonight to clean up the outside, grab my archery targets, all that stuff. New house looks like the aftermath of a natural disaster but we are gradually creating little pockets of calm amid the chaos. At least we have places to sit, shower, and sleep now. :)
    www.whistlingbadger.com

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   You need a friend for Beauty, since Ghost was a meany - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Great news! I love fixer-uppers, we have bought one too, just waiting on the actual close date for this house as it is up in the air now.

How is Bagerling liking town life?
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Great news! I love fixer-uppers, we have bought one too, just waiting on the actual close date for this house as it is up in the air now.

How is Bagerling liking town life?
    Oh, she's cool with it. She has to be the most adaptable of any of us. It helps that her best friend lives a block away now, not that we can do anything about it as her family is all sick. But the idea is nice. Yesterday, I did something I hadn't done for a couple decades: Walked home from work!

I was pretty sad to say goodbye to the old place, I'll admit. But I'm excited to have a garage to work in and a music studio in the basement. Once all the boxes are unpacked and put away--hopefully around Thanksgiving--I'll start planning some aquarium projects. The rice paddy is probably going to be in either a 20 long or, hopefully, in a custom-sized tank I'll build myself.

The paludarium will go in the old 29 gallon. I'm thinking of doing a "Wyoming desert spring" 'scape: A land area with a little waterfall, lots of rocks, prickly pear, stonecrop, and whatever other native plants I can find, populated by a few sagebrush lizards and boreal chorus frogs; a water area with a few plains killifish, a couple stone rollers or mountain suckers, and a crawdad. I won't be able to do that one until next spring when I can get up in the hills and harvest some plants.

I'm also thinking about doing an invert refugium to grow scuds, water fleas, seed shrimp, tubifex worms, and whatever else turns up in the local muck.
    www.whistlingbadger.com

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Congrats on your new home! I hope y'all love living in town
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Thanks! It's still kind of surreal and it doesn't feel like home yet, but we'll get there. Mrs. Badger spent most of the day working on the floors, and we got most of the toys out of the garage so I can start setting up in there. Yesterday I wrestled the gun safe out of the basement (yes, someone left a gun safe here) and into the garage. I always kind of wanted a gun safe--handy for storing guns, you know--but was too cheap to buy one.

The neighbor lady dropped by this morning with some gingerbread cookies. Really nice gal with a cute little toddler, and her husband is a cop. I always like living close to cops. It's a really quiet neighborhood, for town anyway. TayoDog approves of the backyard. The cats don't like it...but they don't really like much of anything.
    www.whistlingbadger.com