· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater67 View Post
    I tested the ph of my tap water, it was 7.6, the highest reading on the chart. I retested using the high ph test and it was 7.4, the lowest reading. I guess I'll call it 7.5.

I also tested the tank water, it is 6.4

Rocksor
    I will get the Ammonia Alert, thanks.
    Did you test the tap water after it has been sitting out for 24 hours in a cup? That will give you the most accurate PH reading.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    Did you test the tap water after it has been sitting out for 24 hours in a cup? That will give you the most accurate PH reading.
    Yes, it sat for about 36 hours before testing.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    If you do a water change, you can bring your tank water PH up as well as the KH (buffering capacity) that is naturally removed slowly during cyling. The amount a PH goes up is not linear so doing a 50% water change won't bring your PH back up to 7.0. I would start with a 25% water change and see how much your PH goes up and see if it still takes 2 days to process the ammonia. I would also remove the carbon from the filter.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I did the 25% water change. I let it run for about 2 hours and checked the ph. It read the same as the tap water I tested, 7.4 - 7.6. I'm going to let it run for 24 hours and check it again.

I also removed the carbon filter as suggested.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    After 24+ hours, the ph was still 7.4 - 7.6 which surprised me.

After the water change yesterday I added ammonia to bring it back up to 1 ppm. Today it is at 0.5 ppm and nitrites are at zero.

I also installed the Seachem Ammonia Alert yesterday, it shows ALERT 0.05 ppm.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    After 24+ hours, the ph was still 7.4 - 7.6 which surprised me.

After the water change yesterday I added ammonia to bring it back up to 1 ppm. Today it is at 0.5 ppm and nitrites are at zero.

I also installed the Seachem Ammonia Alert yesterday, it shows ALERT 0.05 ppm.
    Okay so your tank can't handle all the 1ppm ammonia yet. But, smaller fish don't put out that much ammonia in one shot in a 40g tank.

Add in enough ammonia for 0.5ppm, or half your 1ppm dosage once the API ammonia and Seachem test reads 0ppm on ammonia. If it goes to 0ppm for the API ammonia test and Seachem Alert within 24 hours, you can slowly stock small fish over a period of weeks.

Have you thought about fish you wish to stock the tank with?
    Last edited by Rocksor; 09-21-2020 at 03:41 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry I haven't been on in a while.

For the past 3 days the API test and Seachem Alert were 0. Today the ph was down to 6.6, ammonia and nitrites were still 0 and nitrates are 160 ppm. I did a 50% water change. About 2 hours later the ph is 7.6 and nitrates still 160. Another wc is needed.

This is my plan for stocking:

Start with 6 pepper cories. If all goes well after a couple weeks add 8 neon tetras and later 2 dwarf gourami's.

Questions:

You recommended removing the carbon filter, which I did. Now that the cycle is complete, should I replace it with a new one?

Is it normal for the drops in the API ammonia test Solution #2 to be larger than Solution #1? I have definitely used more #2. If not normal, would this make the reading higher or lower?

Thanks for your help.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    No need for a new carbon filter, use the extra space for more ceramic media....carbon is mostly useless, unless trying to remove meds or other chemicals from a tank

Yes, the drop size is different with the 2 ammonia reagents....why?...I have no clue

Corys do better on sand than pebbles, but as long as there are no sharp edges, should be OK....try to get cardinal tetras instead of neons, just as pretty and (usually) much more hardy
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry I haven't been on in a while.

For the past 3 days the API test and Seachem Alert were 0. Today the ph was down to 6.6, ammonia and nitrites were still 0 and nitrates are 160 ppm. I did a 50% water change. About 2 hours later the ph is 7.6 and nitrates still 160. Another wc is needed.

This is my plan for stocking:

Start with 6 pepper cories. If all goes well after a couple weeks add 8 neon tetras and later 2 dwarf gourami's.

Questions:

You recommended removing the carbon filter, which I did. Now that the cycle is complete, should I replace it with a new one?

Is it normal for the drops in the API ammonia test Solution #2 to be larger than Solution #1? I have definitely used more #2. If not normal, would this make the reading higher or lower?

Thanks for your help.

Your tank is ready for the stocking and timeline you proposed. I would get nitrates down to less than 20ppm with water changes right before you purchase the cories. Test the ammonia and nitrites everyday after you add the fish. The Seachem Ammonia alert will cover for the liquid API ammonia test.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks again Rocksor and Slaphppy7 for your help and information. I want to provide the happiest & healthiest environment for my fish as possible, just like I would for any animal I keep. I'm looking forward to having fish swimming around, I'm tired of looking at an empty tank!

I must be crazy because I'm already thinking about getting another tank...