· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the kind words! - Brookfish   good luck for ur moving - Neon   Good luck with the move! - Mith   

Default 125g planted project

0 Not allowed!
    This will be my thread with the details of my project.
    My current tank has been running since 2009. It has the same substrate and hardscape including sandstone slabs and wood. Fish have come and gone. Its boring......
    Now, my bichir passed away and the sole resident is a brown catfish. He is about 6 inches long and I've had him for several years. His passing brought the opportunity to create a new tank. Something I've wanted to do for years. Also, I just retired after 25 years at my job. Plenty of time to dedicate to a dream tank. While I wasnt able to ultimately upgrade to an even larger tank, I will instead dedicate my efforts to creating a beautiful living environment in the tank I have.

The interwebs are loaded with information and contradictions. This is the one place I have counted on for sound advise.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the kind words! - Brookfish   good luck for ur moving - Neon   Good luck with the move! - Mith   

0 Not allowed!
    Alright. Technicals of what I'm looking at. My current filtration is good for what I'm planning. I am running a Fluval FX6 canister and an AC 110 HOB, one weak powerhead attached to the under gravel system, one old heater which is still surprisingly effective, junk tank lights of which only one side works.

Now, my first question is, is using some of the old substrate as a deep base for elevation in the back a bad idea? Washed maybe? I'll be on a bit of a time crunch once the plants arrive. As I still have the one catfish I need to put in a cooler with an air stone while I work, I need to be fast.

I have the new substrate already, 8 bags of eco complete and two 50 pound bags of pool sand.

I have two Current USA Satellite plus pro LED lights 36" each and 4 mounting brackets to replace the junk lights.

Other things I have as far as equipment ready to go are:

CO2
    Aquacave Deluxe package including:
    20lb cylinder
    Milwaukee ph controller
    SR Aquaristik dual stage regulator with bubble counter and liquid
    Turbo diffuser 600
    Glass CO2 gauge
    Titan control 2 outlet digital timer

Additional JBJ 1000 powerhead 266gph
    25lbs mountain stone
    Aquascaping tools
    New digital and floating thermometer
    Eheim Jager 300w heater
    Seachem fert tabs for initial planting
    Two 16oz bottles API stress coat

I didnt select any liquid ferts yet.

What am I missing? Suggestions please!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    It it's doable, if I were you, I'd remove the UGF, they're outdated and not used much anymore, and tend to harbor lots of nasty stuff, since they can't really be cleaned.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    yes. That thing is definitely gone. No point with substrate I'm going to anyway.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Also, I decided to go get a 10g tank and stand kit to house the catfish while I work. I will replace the cheap filter it comes with with an Aquaclear. Ill seed it with my media and run its cycle before I put him in. This way afterward I have a nice little quarantine tank and I can toss the new AC filter on the main tank to keep the bacteria until i need to set it up again. I'm not comfortable putting him in a cooler. He loves me.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    This evening I put on all new glass top and mounted brackets for the two Current USA satellite plus pro LED lights. Went with a 20g quarantine tank instead of the 10g. Maybe do some breeding later? Hmmmm

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Good deal, a 10G would be much too small for that catfish, even short term.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers