· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default New here....power issue....

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, All. My wife has three aquariums of store bought gold type fish. Regulars and tri-tails. She also has a turtle tank holding two painteds. The fish aquariums are 25G, 30G and a 60G. The larger 60G one is housing too many fish, as we had an aquarium emergency a week ago and had to do a life saving transfer. The issue is...my wife just got a shock today from the large tank! I checked the voltage and it reads 120 volts from a wall outlet hot to the tank frame. As if it's grounded! Here's the setup: Natural stone fireplace. About four foot to the left of the fireplace is where the tank is at. The tank rests on two 2x10's about four foot long. NOTHING was plugged in near or on the tank when I checked. She got the the shock when unplugging the two filters from the power strip. I eliminated all plugged in objects near and around that tank. Verified and there is a natural 7 or so volts from tank to neutral. There is also 117+ volts from wall hot to tank frame. And...to tank water!
    Shy of having an eel in there sparkin' away, how is this possible? Any ideas???
    My safety back up plan to get the tank up and running and be safe for her is to fashion a ground to the tank frame and reconnect stuff. Fish can't go too long without air and filtration...
    Never had this happen before..

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I applied a ground wire to the top frame. Interesting on it's conductivity. I believe that top frame is plastic. But, since it's conductive and does read so, I thought prudence is the better choice. It's working now. But am still concerned with the safety issue. Will check all other tanks tonight.
    Any thoughts, opinions, suggestions are all welcome...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC.

There's nothing in the tank that is plugged in to the wall?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the welcome. There was nothing plugged in at the tank. I verified it all even removed the aerators. Everything was unplugged. All wires uplugged and removed from tank. It sets on two 2x10's on a stone hearth. I checked voltage from the wall socket hot to the plastic tank top-surround and it registers 117. + volts. Dipped the probe in the water itself and got the same reading. Checked continuity from tank surround and water to the wall plug ground...yep...it's as if it's grounded. Since I don't know how it's become a ground path, I securely grounded it to the wall outlet ground.
    I plan to check the other three tanks for a similar situation...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Very strange...and interesting

Keep us posted, please.

When was the last time fish were in the tank?

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    For now there are eleven golds and on Pleko. They were all in there all this time. They may not be affected, similar to birds not getting shocked perching on wires.
    Don't know what's going on. Scary when I saw my wife jump back with a frown toward me. Although it's happened many times throughout our life together, it never involved an electrified fish tank!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    This is beyond strange....sounds like the tank is electrified, but the water isn't, those fish would be in some major stress

Birds don't get shocked because those wires are insulated, but I have no clue what's going on with your tank