· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Cory Catfish   ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith   you need some more fish :) - Vip3r   have a ram... - Vip3r   and a salvini - Vip3r   

Default Just clarifying some numbers as my tap water carries .25 ammo for fishless cycle

0 Not allowed!
    doing a fishless cycle with my 5 gallon marineland contour tank with a crypto green wendii and a small and hopefully growing back jungle val plant

Started the re-cycling numbers on 6/27/20 two days after adding initial ammo
    6/27 ammo .25 nothing else tested
    6/28 ammo .25 trites zero trates 160
    6/28 did 50% water change, refilled tank and then did another 50% water change to bring down the trates
    6/28 added 7 drops of 10% ace hardware ammo
    6/29 ammo .25 trite zero trate 20ppm
    6/29 added 7 drops of ammo
    6/30 ammo .25 trite zero trate 40ppm
    6/30 pretty sure i added seven drops ammo here though i didn't record it in the notebook
    7/1 ammo .25 trite zero and trate 40 ppm
    7/1 added 7 drops ammo
    7/2 ammo .25 trite ZERO did not test TRATES
    7/2 added 7 drops of Ammo
    7/2 tested tap water and found that it carries a default .25 ammo

Given these numbers how much longer should i continue adding ammo before calling the cycle good and trying to get another betta fish for the tank. Current water conditioner is Easy Life and i was advised by API to also obtain ammo lock and administer 10 drops of it per water change. I do not have ammo lock on hand at this time.

Please advise on your thoughts.

5.0 Gallon Tank = planted with jungle val

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Get Prime for your conditioner, you don't need the ammo lock.

Are you waiting 24 hours AFTER adding ammonia to test?

You should not be adding ammonia until it read 0; you are using the liquid test kit, correct?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Cory Catfish   ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith   you need some more fish :) - Vip3r   have a ram... - Vip3r   and a salvini - Vip3r   

0 Not allowed!
    I thought I was supposed to add ammonia drops daily and yes the api freshwater test kit. Sorry at work but I do it once a day after my ammonia test

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Review the fishless cycling sticky here: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    my last nitrate check a couple days ago was at 40ppm should i do a 50% water change to bring that down slightly as it's a smaller tank i haven't tested my ammo today yet either

i did read the article btw was also reading a different fishless proceedure from a uk website which is the one i was originally using

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    7/3 ammo was .25 and nitrite was zero.

But since my tap water automatically comes with .25 ammo will my ammo rating ever be zero on the freshwater test kit.

Please advise.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    No need for a WC during fishless cycling.

The BB will consume ALL ammonia after a 24 hour period in a cycled tank.

Again, reread the fishless cycle I linked, and post any questions...DO NOT add any more ammonia until it reads 0.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    i noticed the diatoms are starting to grow again in my aquarium on my crypto wendii because i see brown spots on the leaves. readings 7/4/20. Didn't measure Trates. Did not add anything to tank other than water to raise the water level.

Ammo .25
    Trite ZERO

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I just now saw the no topping off during fishless cycling but because of how the marineland contour is set up the area behind the black barrier in the tank where the filtration system is loses water faster than the main tank because of the cords i have for my uv mini cleaner, heater, and the filtration that came with the aquarium doesn't securely stay on because of it's shape and it's sturdy plastic so there's more evaporation that way.

What do you suggest to cover that back area so that there's less evaporation during this process so i don't have to top off the filtration compartment as much?

Please advise. I have bubble wrap on hand but i doubt that's going to be suitable and i have some spare bath towels. Thoughts?

Ammo is still .25 and TRITES were zero still.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Are you topping off with conditioned water?

Thin plastic sheets cut to size for the open areas.