· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Cory Catfish   ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith   you need some more fish :) - Vip3r   have a ram... - Vip3r   and a salvini - Vip3r   

0 Not allowed!
    took my readings again today, used the 1ml syringe to take the sample water from the aquarium for all three vials. Ammo is .25. Nitrates are 10ppm and NITRITES are zero ppm (the color hasn't changed even though i started the timer on it two or three minutes ago).

Light in my tank is only on from 10 am to 2pm eastern time daily, due to me having a green algae bloom in the past. the only plant in the tank is a juvenile jungle val plant whose growth has been slowed due to the reduction in light.

nothing has been added to the water and nothing has been done to the filtration, though i'm due to change the phosgard pouch in the filtration system i haven't because i've been cycling my tank. My filtration unit still has the charcoal granules in the filtration pad which came with it when i bought the tank, but i don't think that should affect anything with the cycle.

I'm thinking there still might be diatoms in my substrate, since the water was completely brown gray the last time i did a water change.

further thoughts welcome...please don't throw things at me...

5.0 Gallon Tank = planted with jungle val

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    What is the ph?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Cory Catfish   ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith   you need some more fish :) - Vip3r   have a ram... - Vip3r   and a salvini - Vip3r   

0 Not allowed!
    8.0 ph currently but i have seen my tap water up to 8.2 before too depending on season

i don't use any solutions to adjust ph

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Unless your substrate(s) are causing this constant ammonia reading, I'm at a loss.

I've always used sand for substrate, which is inert, so I've no experience with substrates that could produce ammonia.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    do you want me to do another wc today and wait two more days and if it's still consistent then i should be able to get a betta or should i chalk it up as a loss on cycling because of how hard my water is. I know there was a ton of diatoms in the last time i took my siphon into my gravel substrate.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The hardness of the water shouldn't make a difference.

Are you waiting a full 24 hours between WC's and testing?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yes i haven't done a WC since the last one i reported, that's why i was asking if i should do one. but i always wait twenty four hours between tests.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I think it's just the quality of my water. my NITRATES were still at 10ppm after my 1/4 water change today (focused on the gravel where there was much less diatoms this time). I've seen other reports that people have a false reading of .25 ammo on the api test kits online through older forum posts. I'm going to go pick up a betta and one of those stick on seachem ammo monitors at the same time. how often do you feed your betta fish btw? I think i had the blue green algae in my old tank since i fed mine daily.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    My new betta fish, which actually caught the ammo alert in the picture showing that the ammo is safe. my ph is reading 7.4 according to the ph alert. That means that the ammo reading on my api test kit was false. Please follow the instagram link to see both items. also how old do you estimate he is based on the picture so i could put the approximate age on a ptouch memo i'm going to make.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CD6Z2O2HEkn/
    Last edited by Shidohari; 08-15-2020 at 02:06 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    also his name is Vergil, and is 6 months old based on size being 2 inches so almost adult growth.