· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Cory Catfish   ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith   you need some more fish :) - Vip3r   have a ram... - Vip3r   and a salvini - Vip3r   

Default purchases made

0 Not allowed!
    purchased these on amazon.com to arrive tomorrow. 250ML bottle of prime and a 20 pack of plastic 1ml syringes. the price for both was just under 20.00.

5.0 Gallon Tank = planted with jungle val

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Good deal
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Cory Catfish   ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith   you need some more fish :) - Vip3r   have a ram... - Vip3r   and a salvini - Vip3r   

0 Not allowed!
    still show .25 ammo and 10ppm of NITRATE that leads me to believe i still have some diatoms in my substrate. I killed and crushed another snail today but it got away from me before i could pull it out of the tank (it was on the back wall). the filtration system have not been rinsed in the old water since i started my original fishless cycle nor has the overdue to be replaced phozorb pouch been removed from my filtration area. Got some more of the small strands of hair algae out from the tank today with my fish net. should i dose directly with prime once i get it today at the .5 ml dose that you suggested even if i'm not doing a wc or do you think i've used too much dechlorination items that it might be throwing off my cycle?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    I'm honestly not sure why you are still showing ammonia.

How are you performing the ammonia test?

Do not add anything, for now.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    shaking both bottles before the test and following the directions of adding 8 drops bottle one shaking the vial, then eight drops bottle two and letting it sit five minutes. should i open the new box of the ammo tester and use that one to see if i get anything different?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    What substrate do you have in this tank?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    generic black gravel and this substrate https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...rium-substrate. I know i was told that the second one from aqueon leeches ammo, and it is about 2/3 of my substrate. I have about 2 inches of substrate in my tank total.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Which ammo tester are you using, and which is still in the box?

With the API liquid test, you can add 8 drops from both bottles, shake for 5 seconds, and wait 5 minutes, no need to shake between the 2 solutions.

Are you filling the test tubes with tank water just to the line on the TT?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I know there are several plant substrates that leach ammonia, which is why I asked. Not familiar with this one though. I did see some reviews say that it substantially raised the PH.

If you have had higher levels of ammonia (from your dosing) which have now receded to .25 (consistently), as well as raised nitrites, now down to zero, and nitrates showing, you could in fact have a cycled tank that is showing the low ammonia due to leaching from the substrate. But I can't be sure as I have no experience with this substrate. You could try researching other plant substrates that leach ammonia and see if you can find out how long that might last. Since you are not doing water changes while trying to cycle, if the ammonia is a product of the substrate leaching you will not be rid of it for a long while.

I found this in a larger article about substrates and this is about ADA Aquasoil, which also leaches ammonia:

"ADA aquasoil is popular among the serious aquascaping crowd. Heavily spiked with ammonia, requires very frequent water changes for the first couple of weeks. Takes 2 - 3 weeks to properly cycle. More troublesome to manage for beginners. I prefer to use a thin layer (as fertilizer) beneath a layer of some other brand (such as Tropica). The other way to apply it is to mix it in small amounts to old depleted aquasoils that have been in the tank for months."

Here is the article and this paragraph is several paragraphs down in the article - https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/.../substrate-101
    Last edited by SueD; 08-12-2020 at 12:50 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I know that the aqueon substrate was 2 to 3 months old. However with the amount of root tabs in the substrate initially it could have affected the leaching process. My tap water comes with .25 ammonia straight from tap. I use the api test kits. I just got prime today and threw out my other 2 dechlorinators.