· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Nitrites? Already?!

0 Not allowed!
    Started my fishless cycle last night, added 6ml of Ammonia which tested at 4.0PPM

Tested things today, and im already showing Nitrite at 0.25PPM - would this be correct, just after a day? I expected there to be Nitrites towards the end of the week?

My Ammonia is between 2PPM and 4PPM (although not dark enough to warrant being 4PPM) Should i top it up today?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC.

How big is the tank?...did you use some seeded media to start the cycle?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Welcome to the AC.

How big is the tank?...did you use some seeded media to start the cycle?
    I have a 40L Tank, added Interpet Fast filter Start. I couldnt get media because the person i get it off has snails in their tank at the moment.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Whoa....this is only about a 10G tank, and you add SIX ml of ammonia to start? That would get you to a PPM reading of around 14, according to the chart at the bottom of this page

https://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm

What kind of ammonia did you use?...is it pure ammonia?....what percentage of ammonium hydroxide?

Which test kit do you use?

I've never used that Interpet Fast filter Start, or any other bacteria in a bottle, it's really not needed, and a waste of $, IMO

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Whoa....this is only about a 10G tank, and you add SIX ml of ammonia to start? That would get you to a PPM reading of around 14, according to the chart at the bottom of this page

https://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm

What kind of ammonia did you use?...is it pure ammonia?....what percentage of ammonium hydroxide?

Which test kit do you use?

I've never used that Interpet Fast filter Start, or any other bacteria in a bottle, it's really not needed, and a waste of $, IMO
    I can't remeber the calculator i used, but it was a measurement of 0.2 per litre or something. I tested it after 3o minutes to let it run through and got 4PPM
    I've used Dr Tim's Aquatic Ammonia theres no percentage on the bottle.
    And for measuring i have the API Freshwater Liquid Kit

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Dr Tim's dosage is 4 drops/gallon of water, which would be about 40 drops for a tank that size...

You have the best test kit for measuring...what is the reading for nitrIte, currently?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    From Dr. Tim's website:

Some conversions:

1 drop equals 0.05 ml
    1 ml equals 20 drops
    1 teaspoon equals about 5 ml which is 100 drops
    1 tablespoon equals almost 15 ml which is 300 drops

*NOTE: As of November 1, 2016 we changed the concentration of the ammonium chloride solution so it now takes 4 drops per gallon. The previous version called for 1 drop per gallon. Please see the label on your bottle to determine how much to use. If the bottle says use 1 drop use 1 drop if the bottle says use 4 drops use 4 drops.

From this, you would use 2 ML to start, I can't understand why your ammonia is not showing much higher than what you are seeing...is your API test kit new?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    i added 4ml of ammonia to start with, waited then tested and got nothing showing at all. Thats what made me added another 2ml, waited again and got the result of 4PPm.

Test kit was brand new still sealed from Amazon.

My nitrite result was 0.25PPM

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Hmmm...maybe the "bacteria in a bottle" did get the cycle going, but I've never heard of trItes showing up THAT fast.

Are you in the UK?...is the water chlorinated there?...do you use a water conditioner?

At any rate, review the cycling sticky below, and do not add more ammonia until it drops to 0.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Hmmm...maybe the "bacteria in a bottle" did get the cycle going, but I've never heard of trItes showing up THAT fast.

Are you in the UK?...is the water chlorinated there?...do you use a water conditioner?

At any rate, review the cycling sticky below, and do not add more ammonia until it drops to 0.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    The water is chlorinated over here in the Uk, and the tank has Tetra brand TapSafe in it.