· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first Barb of many. - Strider199   Have another barb ;-) - steeler58   

Default Thinking of adding Platys Mollies or both

0 Not allowed!
    So I currently have a 65 gallon tank fairly well planted about 40-50% my current inhabitants consist of

4 border loaches
    1 rubbertnose pleco
    1 albino bristlenose
    7 Diamond Tetras
    8 tiger barbs

I am thinking of going a different route and bringing my tiger barbs up to my LFS and replacing them with some platys I love my barbs but I would like to put some more color into my tank and my daughter loves all the different colors of platy's there are I don't see this being an issue but I do have a couple of concerns.As far as water temps and ph go my water sits at aboyt 75-76 constantly and my ph is a steady 7.2

1) I have read that platy's can be messy fish would they be more messy than 8 tiger barbs or do you think about the same
    2) my second concern being livebearers I am going to let nature take its course I know I will have some babies born but will I be overloaded with Babies I think most of them will eventually get picked off maybe a couple will survive.

these are my only two concerns as I think they will be fine without the barbs in the tank the other inhabitants should not bother them.

I do however like Mollies as well but with them my two biggest concerns are

1) needing to add Salt to the tank possibly or is 7.2 ph ok I would rather not add salt with plants,plecos & loaches
    2) this brings me to my second concern with Mollies with having a firly decent amount of plants I have heard Mollies tend to nibble on plants do I need to be concerned about this
    3) lastly I have also heard Mollies can be a bit difficult much like Rams any fluctuations with my water can easily stress them and get them sick quickly.

My water is not bad but its not pristine either I do my weekly water changes usually about 20%.Again my water is far from Bad but its not 100% pristine either

lastly do either Mollies or platys dislike or prefer water movement I don't have alot of current but I do have current I have two circulation pumps a smaller and a little bit larger pushing my water around as well as my outtake for my cannister I have pushing out without a spray bar I prefer to keep the water movement as my current fish really like it and my plants love the slight water movement as they have really bloomed since i added the pumps.if it makes a difference I do have sand substrate.

Thsnk-you

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

3 Not allowed!
    Mollies don't necessarily need salt.

Both are livebearers, as you know, and will breed readily, and often...the diamonds may predate a few, but you'll probably end up with many fry that survive, especially if there's plenty of hiding places in the tank....my daughter was very happy with all of the platy fry we ended up with (years ago, don't keep them anymore), but they got out of control quickly, donated dozens to the LFS.

Your temp and ph are fine for either fish.

What do you mean when you say your water isn't "pristine"? Why not bigger water changes? What test kit and conditioner are you using?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Pristine was the wrong word's to use probably.My water tends to run a touch high on Nitrates as it does come a touch high from out of the tap so other than adding RO water this is something I deal with I grow plants to help combat this which keeps it in check somewhat so pristine was probably not the right wording to use!I do my weekly water changes religiously all other factors remain in check just by weeks end my nitrates tend to be on the higher side.

I guess I can do multiple smaller water changes maybe twice a week but like mentioned with nitrates coming out a touch high from the tap I'm not getting 100% nitrate free water I've talked to a few different LFS I have 3 near me and they all say the same thing Longisland has a touch high nitrates in their water!

My daughter will certainly enjoy watching all the fry swimming around the tank I am hoping the tetras pick off most of them if not I know she will insist on keeping the ones that reach maturity this is the one thing I'll have to contend with.The many different colors of platys is something that has really pushed me in this direction.

Do Mollies bother with plants I've heard mixed results with this I have growing Crypts,Watersprites ,Rotellas,and Anubias?

Thanks Slaphappy

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    As long as you are using Prime as your water conditioner, the higher trAtes from your tap won't hurt anything...do you use a hose-type water changer, or buckets?

No experience with mollies, sorry, but here's a good write-up on them: https://www.fishkeepingworld.com/mol...ank_Conditions

If I were you, I'd just go with the platys, or even guppies, which are very pretty....just make sure you get those barbs out of there first, and keep a close eye on those diamonds, which can be pretty frisky, especially around feeding time

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks Slap yes I do use prime,I use buckets to try to get my water temps as close as possible I dose each bucket before adding it in I know some say that buckets are a pain but my sink is on the other side of the house to me buckets are just easier I fill 4 5 gallon buckets to about 3 1/2 gallons each and I have a wastepaper can I use to siphon the old water in and dump out my side door which is close to the tank.

Barbs are definetley coming out first Guppies are pretty too but they may be a bit too small for the tank with my tetras fairly large I will certainly keep an eye on the Diamonds because as you mentioned they can be a bit feisty no where near the feistiness of the Barbs but they do have their moments.

I'll probably just stick with the platy's I was just enquiring about the Mollies I saw some dalmation Mollies that are really nice!

thanks again slaphappy!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds good, and you are more than welcome.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I'm going to put some commentary on this thread:
    If you do get guppies, barbs will have to go. I think both fish are very good choices for your tank because of the near neutral water.
    For mollies, I just don't think Balloon mollies are the best choice. I wouldn't go with black mollies either. I remember mollies being difficult to keep, but I think the two I had were pretty good, fry got snatched up by my angelfish. I should think you won't have any trouble with either platies or mollies.
    Again, Mollies don't need salt.
    Don't want fry? Try adding an angelfish.