· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: 20gal cichlids?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default 20gal cichlids?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone, first post on this forum but some background about me is that I've been keeping fish for a few years now and have some experience in the hobby. However I've completely downsized from 15 tanks to just 1 20gal long which is about to get revamped. I have kept a pair of apistogramma, GBR and Angels but that is about as far as my cichlid experience goes.
    I was wondering if there were any cool African or South American cichlids that would be suitable for a 20gal long. The tank is overfiltered and I can make any water parameter accomodations necessary. I'd like to stick away from multis, apistos, and Rams if possible but I am aware most cichlids require 55+ gallons. Can be centerpiece community, 1 single fish or a species only.
    Anyone have any good ideas?
    Any suggestions welcome, thanks in advance.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    I do not keep cichlids, but perhaps you might search for dwarf cichlids, or shell dwelling cichlids. A quick search shows these are native to Lake Tanganyika.

Good luck on your rebuild and have fun!
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not sure how deep a 20 gal. long is and I'm not sure how well Fire mouth Cichlids go with German Rams?. I would recommend research on Fire mouths. (Sidenote- A Cichlids and S/A Cichlids don't go together usually). I think 20 gal is too small for Discus. ��. Try Green Terror (I think that their name) or Midas Cichlids... I am running out of ideas!.... Wild Angelfish?, Red Texas? Jack Dempsey? Flower horn? Red Devils? Geophagus? Julies from Tanganyika? Festive Cichlid? SEVERUMS? uh.... What else Guys? Other Cichlid keepers here have suggestions (Such as myself LOL)?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Make sure you research all fish you come across please! Have fun.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Better look at that S/A Cichlid article we have Harlan .O!!!! It contains information on them.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cichlid Keeper View Post
    I'm not sure how deep a 20 gal. long is and I'm not sure how well Fire mouth Cichlids go with German Rams?. I would recommend research on Fire mouths. (Sidenote- A Cichlids and S/A Cichlids don't go together usually). I think 20 gal is too small for Discus. ��. Try Green Terror (I think that their name) or Midas Cichlids... I am running out of ideas!.... Wild Angelfish?, Red Texas? Jack Dempsey? Flower horn? Red Devils? Geophagus? Julies from Tanganyika? Festive Cichlid? SEVERUMS? uh.... What else Guys? Other Cichlid keepers here have suggestions (Such as myself LOL)?
    Most, if not all of these suggestions, are not really appropriate for a 20g.

You could look at a pair of golden dwarf cichlids (Nannacara anomala) which are relatively peaceful, but not sure what else you want to put in there. If the pair were start breeding, there could be issues.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    A 20 gallon tank is too small for breeding pairs of just about anything larger than Apistogramma species. You could do a colony of African multifasciatus if you tossed in several dozen escargot shells, but you stated you wanted to stay away from those species. Keyhole cichlids are probably the only slightly larger SA cichlid relatively peaceful enough to pair off in a 20, though convicts would also work, but would quickly overcrowd the tank with fry. Not to mention nobody really wants dozens, much less hundreds, of convicts. Only other SA species that comes to mind as possible to keep a breeding pair in a 20 would be nicaraguense. They're not commonly available, and will also produce large numbers of fry that will quickly overcrowd the tank if they aren't eaten by other fish.
    As a single fish you could keep a firemouth, or one of the Gymnogeophagus species from Uruguay if you can find one.
    Swapping out the 20 for a 40 breeder would significantly increase your options.
    Aside from fish, you could keep a single Anterasia python like childreni or stimson's in a 20.

^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks...^^