· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Setting up a new tank

0 Not allowed!
    Hello. I am planning on setting up a 40 gallon tank to keep 2 small sunfish. My question is this. Can I skip cycling the tank if I use water and rocks from the creek in my backyard. The creek does currently hold sunfish.

Thanks for the help

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't skip the cycling. The bacteria you need will grow primarily on the media in your filter and to a lesser extent on other décor/substrate; it's not just sitting in the water column. That creek water could bring other critters you may not want into your tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    I wouldn't skip the cycling. The bacteria you need will grow primarily on the media in your filter and to a lesser extent on other décor/substrate; it's not just sitting in the water column. That creek water could bring other critters you may not want into your tank.
    Good advice. The tank will have to be cycled regardless, so may as well do it the correct way from the beginning.

Welcome to the AC.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Great advice from the members above. I hope you will follow it.

Welcome to the AC.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    That makes total sense to me...I will cycle the tank the correct way....

I will also say that I have read about cycling the tank and am totally thoroughly confused.

Would one of you please try to give me a step by step....I know this has been asked a thousand times I'm sure.

But like just step one...what can I get done this weekend. I have the tank and filter, now what.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I would first set up the entire tank the way you're going to want it. What about substrate and other décor such as plants, rock or wood? Heater if needed for those fish (I'm not familiar with them), lights if needed for plants. Then follow the guidelines in the thread noted below. Read thoroughly first, then ask specific questions

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=125481

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Do you have an ACE hardware store near you? Their store brand ammonia is good to use for cycling. "Janitorial Strength Formula" is printed on mine (in case you are unsure when you are looking at it on the shelf). Buy the smallest bottle they sell.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I have always just let the filter run for about 3 days and HEY IT'S DONE! It always works for me. I have never kept sunfish before but I know some stuff about em. Might I recommend a larger tank of 75 gallons for larger species such as Pumpkin seeds and Blue gills (this advice in case you change your mind)? I know that they do get aggressive during breeding .

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cichlid Keeper View Post
    I have always just let the filter run for about 3 days and HEY IT'S DONE! It always works for me.
    What exactly do you mean by this?
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 05-23-2020 at 02:41 AM.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Its a quick cycling cycle. I hope that makes since. I usually set up the tank and let it run three days or so before adding fish. This method is acceptable for Cichlids and other easy maintenance fish such as guppies and other live bearers.
    Pretty soon here, I am about to set up the 36 gal. fry tank and if I can figure out how to post video on here I can show you how I cycle my tank before I put fish in it.