· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Definitely boil them.

You could also soak in a mild (diluted) bleach solution, just rinse well when done, I've done that in the past with DW with no issues.

I have removed the irrelevant posts from your thread, apologies for the hijack.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Definitely boil them.

You could also soak in a mild (diluted) bleach solution, just rinse well when done, I've done that in the past with DW with no issues.

I have removed the irrelevant posts from your thread, apologies for the hijack.
    Thanks,but no problem. I left the thread for quite a while

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jchal3 View Post
    Hello. I am planning on setting up a 40 gallon tank to keep 2 small sunfish. My question is this. Can I skip cycling the tank if I use water and rocks from the creek in my backyard. The creek does currently hold sunfish.

Thanks for the help
    DEFINITELY don't just use the rocks as you found them. I did this as a kid and killed my fish - despite them coming from the same source. An indoor fish tank is a very different environment from the outdoors. You've got different bacteria, plant matter, other fish, etc. than in a clean "sterile" environment you're creating at home.

I'd also make sure that you clean the substrate before installing it. Most of it - no matter the material - comes with some dust and such on it. Unless you're using live sand, of course! Then follow the instructions given on the packaging.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Well..here is where we sit. I have boiled and rinsed all the rocks in the tank, I just added fresh filters and water conditioner. I'm planning to add the ammonia, and start cycling next week. Am I doing things in the correct order so far??

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Yes, so far so good.

Is there a lid on the tank? Why is the water level a bit low?

I'm concerned about that piece of furniture you have the tank sitting on, a filled 40G tank weighs a little over 450 pounds, NOT INCLUDING those rocks you have in there or any other deco..

I see you have a board under the tank, but a proper (and safe) tank stand will be the same dimensions or larger than the tank.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah I've been a little worried about the tanks stand as well...I'm trying to come up with a game plan for that part.

I'm thinking I will change it on the first good water change after cycling...I know I should probably change it now, but just don't have the funds or a good option in house to replace it with yet.

I do not have a lid either, I was looking at them as well..mainly the different lighting types. What do you guys suggest

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Here's a simple, easy-to-build plan for a stand, using 2 X 4's and 2 X 6's, wood glue, and SS screws...very sturdy design.

base.JPG

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jchal3 View Post
    Yeah I've been a little worried about the tanks stand as well...I'm trying to come up with a game plan for that part.

I'm thinking I will change it on the first good water change after cycling...I know I should probably change it now, but just don't have the funds or a good option in house to replace it with yet.

I do not have a lid either, I was looking at them as well..mainly the different lighting types. What do you guys suggest
    good suggestion above for stand.

As for the lid, just get a glass one and use an LED light. Am assuming the 40 gallon is a 40 breeder-Aqueon, right? Hard to find those lids online for a good price, try Petco you can get it for about $40 if I remember correctly.

Nicrew has some good light at reasonable prices for low/medium light plants. Hygger is a brand I am just trying out and their plant light seems like its going to be a good one too for med/high light plants.

Here's the hygger and the nicrew for planted tanks.

Here's a good nicrew if your not doing plants.
    Last edited by Boundava; 08-17-2020 at 12:42 PM.
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the help guys