· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Murder" Hornet

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Especially when Man doesn't interfere....
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

2 Not allowed!
    Their venom is more potent than other bees or hornets, but a single sting isn't going to kill you unless you're allergic and go into shock. They've been aware of the hornets coming this way for years. So far two have been found in Washington State and one in Canada. There's quite a lot of hype about the whole thing, much like some years ago when the Africanized "killer bees" made their way into the US. How many people actually die every year from the "killer bees" now that they've become established?
    Yes, the Asian hornets will attack and destroy honey beehives. So will yellow jackets, bears, random people, etc. The Asian honeybees will swarm and "cook" the hornets. American bees don't have that defensive instinct.
    Many years ago (actually several decades, I'm getting old, lol) I discovered that Armor All cleaner in the squirt bottle will instantly knock a wasp to the ground, and shortly afterward it's dead. Incredibly more effective than any brand of bug spray I've seen yet.

^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks...^^

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

0 Not allowed!
    Well, it's "hype" until that one person who gets stung goes into shock and dies. It's rare, but it happens, even with our own native wasps and bees. Even with honeybees.

As for the Africanized bees -- they tend to swarm. The one expert said 12 stings, you're ok, 100 not so much. For some people, 12 is all it takes, or fewer.

And here's another fact about wasps and hornets: If you're stung once, pheromones are released that signal more to attack you. That's why it's always advisable to leave the area if you're stung even once.

A single wasp or hornet can sting multiple times, unlike honeybees, that die after they sting. And, if the stinger gets stuck in the skin, it continues to release venom.

It isn't hype to someone who experiences a medical emergency or dies.

This needs to be taken seriously and not just blown off by "experts" who think they know better.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    One thing is for certain....I'll never hold a "murder hornet" in forceps and force it to sting me...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwannabe View Post
    Well, it's "hype" until that one person who gets stung goes into shock and dies. It's rare, but it happens, even with our own native wasps and bees. Even with honeybees.

As for the Africanized bees -- they tend to swarm. The one expert said 12 stings, you're ok, 100 not so much. For some people, 12 is all it takes, or fewer.

And here's another fact about wasps and hornets: If you're stung once, pheromones are released that signal more to attack you. That's why it's always advisable to leave the area if you're stung even once.

A single wasp or hornet can sting multiple times, unlike honeybees, that die after they sting. And, if the stinger gets stuck in the skin, it continues to release venom.

It isn't hype to someone who experiences a medical emergency or dies.

This needs to be taken seriously and not just blown off by "experts" who think they know better.
    Still an hype then to me.

These hornets arrived earlier in Europe. No one is killed by these "Murder hornets". Yes stings are painfull. The name alone tells media is spreading fear and panic again.

Also mosquitoes spreading malaria and other tropical diseases have been found here. If one is at the wrong place at the wrong time that person is very unlucky. .
    A lot of poisenous and possible deadly snakes and spiders live in Australia.
    Still people live there as far as I know.

Personally I think that is what life is about.

That doesn't mean we should try to prevent these intruders. But in todays society, intensive agriculture, planes and people travelling over the world (at least before Covid-19) that won't be easy as not impossible. So trying to live with these "risks" probably is the best we can do.

And trying not to let the media make us panick and fall asleep in fear.
    No Cory, No Glory !!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    And trying not to let the media make us panick and fall asleep in fear.
    It seems that's all they exist to do, anymore...more propaganda than actual real "news"

I miss the old days

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

0 Not allowed!

Friends don't let friends use clown-puke gravel.
    www.whistlingbadger.com