· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Black neon tetra spawning.

1 Not allowed!
    Yesterday I got lucky. Observed spawning behaviour in the black neons. The fishes were swimming aggressively after the tank lights came on.

The male was chasing and rubbing against the females following by twitching and little rolling movement during which the females released the eggs. Unfortunately the eggs were all devoured by the lemon tetras. The tank was at 29 degC and 320 TDS. There has been no water changes recently. I have not fed live food or any conditioning.

Watched them closely on lights on today and there was no similar behaviour.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Very neat but stinks the lemons ate the eggs.
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    It's so difficult to get successful spawning with surviving fry in a community tank, although not impossible. If your tank is heavily planted and depending on where the eggs get deposited, it is possible and some eggs may hatch. The fry will also need dense cover, though, to survive. I've had success with diamond tetras breeding and fry surviving in a community tank because of a dense clump of moss I had in the tank. The fry hid out there for a few weeks until they were large enough to venture out slowly, a little bit at a time. There were only 2-3 fry that made it each time, but they spawned multiple times. I also had pencilfish spawn successfully and again, it was a large clump of moss where the fry hung out for some time.

At least you know they're spawning so it will probably happen again. Try to make sure there are dense plantings which may help even one or two eggs to survive and hatch.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Really cool that you got to observe that! Congrats!
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Very neat but stinks the lemons ate the eggs.
    The lemons were almost predictive of which female was about to release eggs and followed the pair closely. They made sure that no eggs were lost into the tank. The eggs were very small and colourless almost very difficult to observe.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    It's so difficult to get successful spawning with surviving fry in a community tank, although not impossible. If your tank is heavily planted and depending on where the eggs get deposited, it is possible and some eggs may hatch. The fry will also need dense cover, though, to survive. I've had success with diamond tetras breeding and fry surviving in a community tank because of a dense clump of moss I had in the tank. The fry hid out there for a few weeks until they were large enough to venture out slowly, a little bit at a time. There were only 2-3 fry that made it each time, but they spawned multiple times. I also had pencilfish spawn successfully and again, it was a large clump of moss where the fry hung out for some time.

At least you know they're spawning so it will probably happen again. Try to make sure there are dense plantings which may help even one or two eggs to survive and hatch.
    This is a tank which is sparsely planted. It has got only crypts in it. Itís mostly rock in this tank. The tank also has shrimps. So I am sure whatever eggs were lost into the substrate or rock crevices would be scavenged by the shrimp.

I have a small 3G spare tank which is cycled and setup. However I want to make sure I can get my hands on some cultures - paramecium microworms BBS etc before attempting a breeding setup. Post covid lockdowns letís hope for the best.