· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first Barb of many. - Strider199   Have another barb ;-) - steeler58   

Default Upgrading to a 75 gallon tank soon have a couple of ?'s

0 Not allowed!
    I'm going to try & keep this as quick and brief as possible.I'm thinking this is probably the right spot for this as technically it's a tank setup I'm asking about going from one size to another so here it goes!

So I currently have a 65 gallon Freshwater tank
    Lighting sat plus pro

Filtration aquatop cf-400uv same as a sun sun 304b I believe!its pushing 370gph

Heater x1 300watt Aquatop

Fish tiger barbs(mixed) x12/diamond tetras x7/plecos bristlenose x1/rubber lip x1/Border loaches x6

Plants low-med light plants 30-40% planted Anubas/cryts/water sprites/rotellas combination of scattered grass & ferns

Substrate black sand

So now to my question I'm looking to upgrade to a larger tank not by much I'm going to a 75 gallon you may ask why not a 90 what's 10 extra gallons going to do for me my main reason is I am looking for that extra foot of length I am limited on space and where my tank sits now is in a spot I want to utilize for an extended couch I have a slate platform where my woodburning stove sits presently its 58 inches long and have plenty of depth with a rock wall behind it the platform sits about a 1' 1/2" up from the floor so I plan on putting the new tank on this slate platform.we very rarely use the wood burning stove so we decided my wife & I that a tank on this platform with the rock wall behind it would look really nice yes I can go with a 90 gallon even though it's only a few more inches high I think I prefer to have the lower height on the tank being it's going to be up on a raised platform to begin with plus I'm thinking of putting a canopy on it so this will add to the height as well.when I set up the tank it will be relatively a smooth and low stress transition for my fish as I'm going to have my 65 gallon up and running while I get the new tank up to speed which should be relatively quick as I'm going to be setting it up using materials water/cannister material etc from my long established tank with that being said I need some opinions on what to equip my new tank with.again I don't want to rule out a 90 gallon but where the tank is being placed a 90 gallon with a canopy on top may sit too high.its hard to visualize so for these questions let's say I'm going to upgrade to a 75 with the same dimensions minus the height the questions would work for either a 75 or 90 gallon!whether I go with a 75 or 90 the placement of the new tank will be a true centerpiece to my room sitting on my slate platform with a Rockwall behind it the platform measures 58" so with the tank being 48 1/2" that's going to fit nicely into my spot almost perfectly leaving about 4" on both sides after adding a stand.add a nice fake tree on either side of the tank setup it's going to look sharp I am so looking forward to doing this project nice part is I have an outlet both to the right & left of my platform to utilize so no need to worry about running long wires!

1) filters I love canisters I always have i know they sometimes could be more work but I've always had such success with them even when keeping an overstocked mnuna tank years ago they've always kept my tanks so clear so I would want to run dual canisters what two in your opinion should I run I have my current cannister what would be another that you would pair with it?

2) 1 heater or two for my 65 one works fine but I'm thinking for the longer tank two would be better

3) lighting I'm pretty sure a sat plus pro would be the way to go here my 65 is higher than a 75 would be same height as a90 and I've had nothing but good luck with the sat plus with a smaller or same height I'm thinking this is the way to go but hey someone may have a better idea!I would have to get another light though as mine is only 36" long having a 3' 65gal

4) I plan on doing circulation pumps on this tank I always battled algae a bit in my current tank till I added two circulation pumps at opposite ends of my tank never had a stitch of algae since and my plants have never looked better my fish happier and my water clearer the circulation pumps have transformed my tank so much I only wish I started running them so much longer ago I've been running them well over 6 months now and my tank has never looked better.crystal clear water and my plants really took off and colored up just by adding a bit more circulation I removed my spray bar and put some mild current into the tank my plants livened up as well as my fish my Border loaches love dancing around in the mild currents!

These are my only 3 questions I know it's a lot for 3 questions but I wanted to give you a bit of history on my current tank & the direction I want to go in so to properly answer my questions I think a bit of history & direction was necessary

Thank-you
    Last edited by magic8; 04-03-2020 at 02:31 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by magic8 View Post
    I'm going to try & keep this as quick and brief as possible.I'm thinking this is probably the right spot for this as technically it's a tank setup I'm asking about going from one size to another so here it goes!

So I currently have a 65 gallon Freshwater tank
    Lighting sat plus pro

Filtration aquatop cf-400uv same as a sun sun 304b I believe!its pushing 370gph

Heater x1 300watt Aquatop

Fish tiger barbs(mixed) x12/diamond tetras x7/plecos bristlenose x1/rubber lip x1/Border loaches x6

Plants low-med light plants 30-40% planted Anubas/cryts/water sprites/rotellas combination of scattered grass & ferns

Substrate black sand

So now to my question I'm looking to upgrade to a larger tank not by much I'm going to a 75 gallon you may ask why not a 90 what's 10 extra gallons going to do for me my main reason is I am looking for that extra foot of length I am limited on space and where my tank sits now is in a spot I want to utilize for an extended couch I have a slate platform where my woodburning stove sits presently its 58 inches long and have plenty of depth with a rock wall behind it the platform sits about a 1' 1/2" up from the floor so I plan on putting the new tank on this slate platform.we very rarely use the wood burning stove so we decided my wife & I that a tank on this platform with the rock wall behind it would look really nice yes I can go with a 90 gallon even though it's only a few more inches high I think I prefer to have the lower height on the tank being it's going to be up on a raised platform to begin with plus I'm thinking of putting a canopy on it so this will add to the height as well.when I set up the tank it will be relatively a smooth and low stress transition for my fish as I'm going to have my 65 gallon up and running while ***I get the new tank up to speed which should be relatively quick as I'm going to be setting it up using materials water/cannister material etc from my long established tank with that being said I need some opinions on what to equip my new tank with.again I don't want to rule out a 90 gallon but where the tank is being placed a 90 gallon with a canopy on top may sit too high.its hard to visualize so for these questions let's say I'm going to upgrade to a 75 with the same dimensions minus the height the questions would work for either a 75 or 90 gallon!whether I go with a 75 or 90 the placement of the new tank will be a true centerpiece to my room sitting on my slate platform with a Rockwall behind it the platform measures 58" so with the tank being 48 1/2" that's going to fit nicely into my spot almost perfectly leaving about 4" on both sides after adding a stand.add a nice fake tree on either side of the tank setup it's going to look sharp I am so looking forward to doing this project nice part is I have an outlet both to the right & left of my platform to utilize so no need to worry about running long wires!

***There will be little to no beneficial bacteria in your 65 gallon tank water, so transferring the water is not necessary. The filter is where we encourage the bacteria to grow so it will house the main population. You may also have a small population within your substrate, and even smaller to negligible on the surfaces of the tank/objects-plants in the tank.

If you are able to what I would recommend is to set up the new filter on the new tank and do a fish less cycle, setting up the ammonia at 3-4ppm. You can seed the new filter with some media from your existing filter (just replace it with clean media from your new filter. Here is my logic behind this suggestion; your tank grows as much bacteria as it needs. Meaning your current filter has bacteria growing unevenly across the media housed within it. If you set up 2 filters on the one tank the second filter will be slower to grow new bacteria as there is already a colony that is able to process the food (waste) in the water column. However if you set up the new tank with only the new filter at first (with a small amount of seed media to get the population started faster) and through in a bunch of food in the form of ammonia, you can force another colony of bacteria to grow faster. Once this colony cycles the tank you can set up the second filter and move your fish in knowing there are two filters with established colonies of BB in each. Some BB may die off in the coming weeks, but I have a feeling that with your current load (especially all those plecos) the colonies in both filters will do well. Hope this is clear...

1) filters I love canisters I always have i know they sometimes could be more work but I've always had such success with them even when keeping an overstocked mnuna tank years ago they've always kept my tanks so clear so I would want to run dual canisters what two in your opinion should I run I have my current cannister what would be another that you would pair with it?

For either the 75 or 90 I would go with an Eheim 2217. Its a great filter, I have had one for almost 6 years and have heard of many who have had theirs for decades. It would provide you with additional flow as well since you wand more current. The flow is 254 gph and that is tested with the media already loaded, btw the filter comes with all the media you need already supplied. If you have the $$$ another good filter I have had experience with is the FX4. It is very powerful and would provide a strong current in the tank along with awesome filtration.

2) 1 heater or two for my 65 one works fine but I'm thinking for the longer tank two would be better

I would go with 2 and if you wanted to streamline it go with a inline heater (Hydor makes one)that hooks up to the canister tubing so its out of the tank. Just buy a separate thermostat to regulate the heaters, you could set up both heaters to one thermostat.

3) lighting I'm pretty sure a sat plus pro would be the way to go here my 65 is higher than a 75 would be same height as a90 and I've had nothing but good luck with the sat plus with a smaller or same height I'm thinking this is the way to go but hey someone may have a better idea!I would have to get another light though as mine is only 36" long having a 3' 65gal

If your current light works well for you than I would keep it for the 75/90 unless you are keeping the 65 set up.

4) I plan on doing circulation pumps on this tank I always battled algae a bit in my current tank till I added two circulation pumps at opposite ends of my tank never had a stitch of algae since and my plants have never looked better my fish happier and my water clearer the circulation pumps have transformed my tank so much I only wish I started running them so much longer ago I've been running them well over 6 months now and my tank has never looked better.crystal clear water and my plants really took off and colored up just by adding a bit more circulation I removed my spray bar and put some mild current into the tank my plants livened up as well as my fish my Border loaches love dancing around in the mild currents!

These are my only 3 questions I know it's a lot for 3 questions but I wanted to give you a bit of history on my current tank & the direction I want to go in so to properly answer my questions I think a bit of history & direction was necessary

Thank-you
    Please keep us updated with the progress, and we always love pictures or movies of the tanks.
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Boundava thank you for all of the usefull info it really does help out as far as setting up the new tank just so I'm clear lets say I go with the FX4 replace the new media from the FX4 with the media from my existing filter(do I do all the media from my existing or about 1/2) then run the new filter to jump start my cycle throwing some food in to help build the BB colony faster.I would think it would be the same concept if I decided to add two new cannisters to the new tank split the established media from my existing filter between the two new cannisters jump starting the cycle!I only have the x2 plecos but I do have x7 diamond tetras x12 mixed barbs & x6 border(polka dot) loaches.

I actually removed my spraybar after adding the x2 circulation pumps to get more water movement and it has really changed the whole chemistry for my tank in a very good way!

I love the Sat plus pro light it is however only 36" long so I would need to get a 48" light but that will be the direction I am going to go!

I will look into an inline heater when the time comes that may be a good idea!

thanks again for all your advice you guys are always so helpful since setting this tank up 4 years ago I have taken so much from you guys you guys have taught me so much and I'm constantly learning you can never have enough knowledge you guys are great
    Last edited by magic8; 04-03-2020 at 03:22 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by magic8 View Post
    Boundava thank you for all of the usefull info it really does help out as far as setting up the new tank just so I'm clear lets say I go with the FX4 replace the new media from the FX4 with the media from my existing filter(do I do all the media from my existing or about 1/2) then run the new filter to jump start my cycle throwing some food in to help build the BB colony faster.I would think it would be the same concept if I decided to add two new cannisters to the new tank split the established media from my existing filter between the two new cannisters jump starting the cycle!I only have the x2 plecos but I do have x7 diamond tetras x12 mixed barbs & x6 border(polka dot) loaches.

Sorry I had misunderstood that you will be keeping the 65 set up while you set up the 75/90 in another location. That's why I gave you the first suggestion. If you will be breaking down/setting up at the same time with the goal of having two canisters than you should be able to split the established media between the two filters in the hopes that the BB expand and grow in over time. The benefit to my prior suggestion is that after about 2 weeks with the fish-less cycle you will definitely have an overload of BB in your new monster filter as well as the existing colony in your Aquatop to get your new tank up and running.

Also was thinking you had 7 BN plecos in the 65, silly me!

I actually removed my spraybar after adding the x2 circulation pumps to get more water movement and it has really changed the whole chemistry for my tank in a very good way!

Well I can tell you the Fluval has a spay nozzle and is quite powerful so you are ensured a good current. Look as some videos on it as it has programming to empty any air which means it will shut off during the day and restart resulting in some gurgling which may be an issue if you don't like that. I have one set up on my 150 gallon goldfish stock tub and it provides a nice flow.

I love the Sat plus pro light it is however only 36" long so I would need to get a 48" light but that will be the direction I am going to go!

I had two lights on my 75 gallon, only one of them was 48", the other was 36". I would see how your light works on the 75/90, it may just workout since they are both shorter than the 65 (I believe its 25" versus the 21" with the 75 and 23" with the 90).

I will look into an inline heater when the time comes that may be a good idea!

thanks again for all your advice you guys are always so helpful since setting this tank up 4 years ago I have taken so much from you guys you guys have taught me so much and I'm constantly learning you can never have enough knowledge you guys are great
    Best of luck to you, BTW the setup with the rock wall "background" sound great.
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Boundava,

So being I am keeping my 65 Gallon up while I get my 75 setup do I still pull some media from my Aquatop and put it in a new cannister.This will probably kickstart the cycle I would think!

yeah I'm excited to get started on it the rockwall is gonna really make the tank look awesome it goes from my slate platform to the ceiling!I just have to square away a couple of things and have to wait till this whole virus thing lifts before I start investing in another tank & set-up just wanted to have a gameplan for when it does finally lift.

Stay safe & healthy thanks for the info I'm at work right now I'll check the fluval video out later thanks for that