Hey friends!

I am not new to this forum, my old username (kattiq) is inaccessible for some reason so I figured I would just start fresh!
On my previous tanks, this forum was/is full of such valuable and accurate information + some awesome people, so I couldn't not post again about a new tank I am doing.
It's been quite a few years since I've been able to keep a tank larger than 5 gallons, so I started to ease myself back in with this 16 gallon, granted I wanted a 20 gallon but I've got to say, the extra $$ spent to get a rimless tank for my living room is SO worth it in my personal opinion. Maybe down the road I can get a larger basic tank but I'm pretty happy with this one for right now. :)

Image (1).jpeg

Here's what I have running so far tank wise:

Tank: 16g rimless WaterBox brand
Plants: 6 Swords, 3 Anubias and some Java Moss (I used super glue gel to attach Anubias and moss to rocks/wood)
Substrate: Fluval Stratum
Filtration: Sponge filter and a marina slim s20 HOB filter (may add in more later depending on how things go)
Fertlizer: Eventually I will use Osmocote Smart-Release Plant Food Plus, I've heard great success with this and you only have to dose every 6 months!
Lighting: 11W NICREW light https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm super excited about getting this tank started- currently I am trying out the plant cycling method instead of dosing tank with ammonia to see how it goes.
I also have not had super great luck with a planted tank before, but I have learned a lot from those mistakes so HOPEFULLY I can manage this and the plants will flourish under the conditions I try to set. I have not ever used this substrate before ( I used Eco complete on my last tank) and I also have a fertilizer plan in place as well as some liquid Co2 to try and see if that works. I thought about doing a legit Co2 system but I'm going to try this out first and stick with low tech plants more anyways.

I've also been thinking about stocking some guppies (I really want to get some fry!) and of course some of my favorite corys. I haven't decided about adding anything else except maybe some red cherry shrimp later after the tank is better established. I might add a gourami in there too I'm just not 100% sold on it yet.

Let me know your thoughts and advice! Glad to be back! :)