· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first guppy, lol - Slaphppy7   

Cool Kat's Planted Tank

3 Not allowed!
    Hey friends!

I am not new to this forum, my old username (kattiq) is inaccessible for some reason so I figured I would just start fresh!
    On my previous tanks, this forum was/is full of such valuable and accurate information + some awesome people, so I couldn't not post again about a new tank I am doing.
    It's been quite a few years since I've been able to keep a tank larger than 5 gallons, so I started to ease myself back in with this 16 gallon, granted I wanted a 20 gallon but I've got to say, the extra $$ spent to get a rimless tank for my living room is SO worth it in my personal opinion. Maybe down the road I can get a larger basic tank but I'm pretty happy with this one for right now. :)

Image (1).jpeg

Here's what I have running so far tank wise:

Tank: 16g rimless WaterBox brand
    Plants: 6 Swords, 3 Anubias and some Java Moss (I used super glue gel to attach Anubias and moss to rocks/wood)
    Substrate: Fluval Stratum
    Filtration: Sponge filter and a marina slim s20 HOB filter (may add in more later depending on how things go)
    Fertlizer: Eventually I will use Osmocote Smart-Release Plant Food Plus, I've heard great success with this and you only have to dose every 6 months!
    Lighting: 11W NICREW light https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm super excited about getting this tank started- currently I am trying out the plant cycling method instead of dosing tank with ammonia to see how it goes.
    I also have not had super great luck with a planted tank before, but I have learned a lot from those mistakes so HOPEFULLY I can manage this and the plants will flourish under the conditions I try to set. I have not ever used this substrate before ( I used Eco complete on my last tank) and I also have a fertilizer plan in place as well as some liquid Co2 to try and see if that works. I thought about doing a legit Co2 system but I'm going to try this out first and stick with low tech plants more anyways.

I've also been thinking about stocking some guppies (I really want to get some fry!) and of course some of my favorite corys. I haven't decided about adding anything else except maybe some red cherry shrimp later after the tank is better established. I might add a gourami in there too I'm just not 100% sold on it yet.

Let me know your thoughts and advice! Glad to be back! :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Good to see that you were able to rejoin the forum, after the problems you were having.

You can revisit your old threads now as well, I may have to link them for you, just PM me for details if you can't find them.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Slap! I can find them I think, just hate I lost all my gifts and awards on my old one :P

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    I'll try to get your awards back this weekend, you may have to remind me

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Second round ;) - Slaphppy7   It's a hot toddy. - Taurus   Here's to the "blue ribbon" tetra! - Slaphppy7   Hope you had a happy birthday! We are both March babies :) - discusluv   Good to hear from you again! - Slaphppy7   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    The man
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    That would be cool!

Tank update:

Here's an updated picture of the set up now

I've also put in a sponge filter too, I really like it for some reason and I may just end up taking my HOB filter off.

I also don't have a lid on this tank yet, I've read pros and cons. Just lids are expensive, and I don't want to take away from the aesthetic but I also don't want fish jumping out etc. So far my cat has left it alone (I've made sure there's not much room for him to get up next to it anyways)
    So I guess I'll just continue to think about it. haha
    Last edited by kthrrs; 03-19-2020 at 06:38 PM. Reason: added picture

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Lid will prevent rapid evaporation....and the cat hasn't seen fish in it yet, lol

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah true, but he also really enjoys swirling his paw around in my drink cup and flicking water all around the room too, so I'm very surprised even the bubbles from the filter hasn't enticed him yet. lol
    I wished these tanks came with lids, so may have to do a makeshift one until I can find a nicer one later.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Image.jpeg Image (1).jpeg
    Okay so I finally managed to get a lid for this tank. It's a glass Aqueon that fits their tanks (I compared the measurements to mine and just took a risk). At first I was pretty disappointed because I thought it was a flop- it definitely was a tad bit short on the width and the length. But then I thought about it and figured if I just cut the plastic extender it came with and attached it to the left side of the top (closest to the wall thus less obvious), and it worked!
    Doesn't look perfect but it doesn't look horrible and didn't cost me an arm and a leg.

Also my plants haven't completely died yet, I have some fertilizer for the substrate but I haven't been able to get any liquid fert (I've heard that swords prefer liquid?) due to shipping and stuff like that right now.
    There is some yellowing and browning but hopefully as they continue to adjust they will continue to grow. :)

Image-1.jpeg Image-2.jpeg

As far as stocking goes, I've given up on the guppies idea-mainly due to the fact my waters pH is more along the lines of 6.8 and I know they prefer more alkaline water.
    But I definitely want to do cardinal tetras (will probably need to order them online, any ideas?), corys and maybe a dwarf gourami ? I've been watching A LOT of youtube- mainly ones by Aquarium Co-Op and Primetime Aquatics on stocking suggestions too.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Good deal with the lid....TWS usually has cardinals in stock