· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For saving a betta in need - Boundava   you deserve a medal :o) - fishmommie   Congrats on the cycle! - Slaphppy7   

Question Schooling fish question

0 Not allowed!
    Hey folks, I've one big question.

If you have one species of schooling fish, and later add more of the same species to the same aquarium, should they school together?

Background:

Over a year ago we had our 29G set up with a small community of fish - we had some Cherry barbs and Neon tetras plus some Danios that were left over from another set up.

During that run, we lost more than half the school of Cherry Barbs - we're not sure what happened with them, no ick or any visible disease -- that's besides the point.

In our 75G that we upgraded to, our neons, danios and the remaining 2 cherry barbs were carried over -- and we added sword tail platties (males) & Sailfin Mollys (males). - it has been running this way since Boxing day -- We also added a school of cory cats, Bushynose pleco and then an opaline gourami joined in too

This past weekend we finally found Cherry Barbs in one of our LFS (they're not terribly common it seems in our area) - and picked up a school of 6. -- we also picked up a pair of Electric Blue Rams
    (This tank is utter chaos for stocking)

Everyone is doing fine, no bickering or anything, but the Cherry Barbs don't seem to be schooling up - one swims with the danio's at the top of the tank, a few think they're neon tetras, and some of the others kinda loosely shoal, when they're not hanging out with the cory cats or swordtails...

The original barbs broke up after they went from 3 down to 2 - and only loosely shoaled on the rare occasion, but more than often were found on separate sides of the 75 by two different sections of planting & driftwood.
    The 6 at the LFS were schooling well in the display tank when we picked them.

I just keep thinking now, Did I somehow break the fish? Or will they eventually sort themselves out and group up?

Going back to stocking: the Opaline Gourami wasn't my choice, Hubby picked her up and loves her dearly, but knows that she may turn into a right old cow when she gets bigger. The livebearing crew and maybe some of the danio's may be jettisoned from the 75 into the 29. We need to talk furhter
    Last edited by Argentis; 02-24-2020 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Holy Stocking.
    Meet the tanks:
    75 Gal Community tank
    30 Gal Axolotl tank
    29 Gal Apisto. Borelli tank
    15 Gal Cube - Zen planted tank

Hubby's 75 Gal - cycling - planned Mbuna tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    I have 10 or 12 (haven't counted lately) CB's in my 40 gallon tank, males and females, and they've never shoaled or schooled together.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For saving a betta in need - Boundava   you deserve a medal :o) - fishmommie   Congrats on the cycle! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    I have 10 or 12 (haven't counted lately) CB's in my 40 gallon tank, males and females, and they've never shoaled or schooled together.
    That makes me feel a bit better, but annoyed that they're listed as a schooling fish and have decided not to.
    Meet the tanks:
    75 Gal Community tank
    30 Gal Axolotl tank
    29 Gal Apisto. Borelli tank
    15 Gal Cube - Zen planted tank

Hubby's 75 Gal - cycling - planned Mbuna tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

4 Not allowed!
    shoaling behavior happens in the presence of predators or nervousness. The fact that the CB spread out is an indication that they feel safe, and want to get as far away as possible from other CB in order to reduce competition.