· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: lighting

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default lighting

1 Not allowed!
    Hello
    I just joined so I hope I/m in the right place. I go by bix49 I have a question, but first a little back round. I was involved in the hobby until about 25 years ago.
    returning from that long an absence et me know I have a lot of catching up to do. I've read about things that I don't think were even invented when I was last involved with tropical fish. I left the hobby
    abruptly when a fire at my home destroyed everything I had. My question concerns lighting.
    It seems the best way to go is the LED route. However there are about a million different lights on the market. They all have their pros and cons and different adjustment capabilities. Some are preprogramed, some have a timer, some have settings that can be change according to the preference, some dim etc. Does anyone have any recommendations for a light that can provide high light on one side of the tank and low light on the other? Or high light at the front of the tank and low light at the back? Or to highlight only certain area? Perhaps using multiple lights, I don't know. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    I have had a lot of luck lately with a brand called Nicrew. They have lights with different strengths so you could get a stronger and weaker one and not break your budget. I have 5 of them at home currently (have multiple tanks, lol). Many here like the Currents-I tried one but it was DOA. My old favorite is a bit pricier but if you are looking for a weak and strong light the Finnex stingray (weaker) and Finnex Planted + (stronger) would do as well. I had this combo on my 75 gallon ad was able to grow plants at all levels. I have had Finnex lights for many years and they never gave me any grief. I just had to move away from them as they got more popular so their prices got past the point I could justify it on my multiple tanks, hence the moving onto Nicrew.

There are also internal lights (think Marineland has them) where you can highlight the inside of the tank, don't think it will do anything for plant growth though.
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the tips Boundava. This is just the kind of information I'm looking for.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Glad to help and good luck.
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore