· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For saving a betta in need - Boundava   you deserve a medal :o) - fishmommie   Congrats on the cycle! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    New question!

Reading up on Rummy nose tetras and Apistos, I noticed that they prefer a more acidic tank water than what our tank is currently sitting at a pH of 7.4-7.6 - How do you acidify the tank? I was just reading about peat moss? how would you get that into the tank?
    Last edited by Argentis; 02-16-2020 at 12:39 AM.
    Meet the tanks:
    75 Gal Community tank
    30 Gal Axolotl tank
    29 Gal Apisto. Borelli tank
    15 Gal Cube - Zen planted tank

Hubby's 75 Gal - cycling - planned Mbuna tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Rummys just happen to be my favorite tetra, as well

I keep mine in a tank with a ph of 7.2 or so, they should be fine in your water, check the ph of your tap water after letting a sample of it sit for 24 hours...ph can swing up and down a bit in a cycling tank
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    My PH is about 7.4-7.5 and I've kept rummy nose for years. Also had some apisto cacatuoides several years back. Also check with the fish store about what they're keeping them at. Many fish will usually acclimate to a wider PH than what might be found in a written description.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For saving a betta in need - Boundava   you deserve a medal :o) - fishmommie   Congrats on the cycle! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Thanks Sue & Slap!

I'll not play around with the pH on the tank water and check in with the LFS that has the Aspitos and see what their parameters are - I was thinking i should have done that, but we were already a good half hour away by the time I thought about it!

Did canister maintenance on our 75G today and pulled out some of the bio-ball media and tossed it into the HOB media basket for the 20G, and rinsed the sponge filter into the tank too - Made it look absolutely gross and cloudy and I love it.
    Meet the tanks:
    75 Gal Community tank
    30 Gal Axolotl tank

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Good morning!

Tested my water this morning and... I'm a bit confused.

When I started up the tank I dosed it on Feb 12th with ammonia, and added a bit more the next morning (I under dosed) - Left it for a few hours to circulate and my reading came back around 3.0-4.0ppm

Sunday morning I checked it and it was hovering about 2.0ppm (0 ites and 0 ates) - that afternoon we added in the old media from our canister running the 75G (a bout a handful of old bio-balls, and a small cutting of the course sponge & rinsed the rest of the sponge a little into the tank)

This morning, the Ammonia is reading around 1.0ppm, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 0 --- Where is the ammonia going??

Is it because we have a decent amount of plants to start in the tank? -- could they be sucking up the Nitrates right away?

I've not done any WC on the tank, only topped up the water as it's an open top tank and have some evaporation going on (It's dry in the house, good old Canadian winters!)

I was worried my test kit had gone wonky, but I ran it on other tanks and it worked properly -- was out of date from November -- I'm running API's Freshwater Master kit

In the Tank

We did add two small pots of micro sword and another 2 of Bucephalandra (wavy green) on Saturday: when we set up the tank we planted a small bundle of Rotala, a few sprigs of Val & Dwarf Sagattaria, a decent sized Java Fern and we put in most of pot of Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo' (It was in our 75 for a few days, but the fish kept pulling it up). - I would call it moderately planted.

We also have about 8lbs of Dragonstone as hardscape, but as far as I'm aware that's inert and shouldn't cause issues with the Nitrogen Cycle.

Substrate is Seachem Flourite (the chunkier style, not the sand like one) - about 15 lbs of it

Running an Aquaclear 30 HOB, Sponge filter & Bio-Media - No carbon.

Fluval LED Aquasky light, set on a 12 hour sunrise-sunset cycle - RGB & White LED's

Aqueon 100W heater - we're sitting around 27C on an average day.
    Meet the tanks:
    75 Gal Community tank
    30 Gal Axolotl tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Be certain you are shaking the #2 solution bottle for the trAte test very well before testing......shake VERY hard for a couple of minutes, bang it on a desk, throw it against a wall, then shake some more....if you don't, you won't get an accurate result

Sounds like the bacteria are consuming the ammonia...have you seen trItes at all during the cycle?

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Be certain you are shaking the #2 solution bottle for the trAte test very well before testing......shake VERY hard for a couple of minutes, bang it on a desk, throw it against a wall, then shake some more....if you don't, you won't get an accurate result

Sounds like the bacteria are consuming the ammonia...have you seen trItes at all during the cycle?

My trItes haven't budged from 0 -- I was hoping they would, I love the purple colours the test can do! The tank only started cycling on the 12th, with no added media, but I'm wondering if I missed it - transferred the media from the 75 canister yesterday afternoon then left the house and got back after 10pm.

I'll give the trAte bottles a good ol shake and test again -- I used it on my gecko's planted water-wall tank earlier yesterday and they worked, popping up that cheery orange colour.

Since the ammonia is getting consumed, should I add some more into the tank now, or wait until it reads at 0?

Oh.. my great googly-moogly... Slap... I Shook that bottle until my wrist fell off, and then smacked it on the table a few times... TrAtes are showing now. you magician.
    Last edited by Argentis; 02-17-2020 at 03:21 PM. Reason: OMG Shake it like a madwoman worked
    Meet the tanks:
    75 Gal Community tank
    30 Gal Axolotl tank

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I figured I should actually show what this tank is looking like!

https://i.redd.it/xxp93wpz4ih41.jpg

note: I hand painted the background
    Meet the tanks:
    75 Gal Community tank
    30 Gal Axolotl tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Argentis View Post

Oh.. my great googly-moogly... Slap... I Shook that bottle until my wrist fell off, and then smacked it on the table a few times... TrAtes are showing now. you magician.
    Well, there you go!....your BB are growing just fine....sometimes nitrItes can be missed in a cycle, they'll show up but quickly recede...other times, trItes will register for days and days

Since you have trAtes, you had to have had trItes at one point or another...so, you will wait until ammonia is absolutely 0, then dose HALF of the original amount of pure ammonia you began with...a medicinal syringe works great for dosing ammonia, you can measure precise amounts, and they are also handy for filling your tubes for the API test...just be sure you use the ammonia one for ammonia only

If you know the concentration of your pure ammonia, the chart at the bottom of this page is very handy for dosing

https://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Argentis View Post
    I figured I should actually show what this tank is looking like!

https://i.redd.it/xxp93wpz4ih41.jpg

note: I hand painted the background
    Very nice!...only thing I would change is the location of that thermometer, move it to the side glass where it doesn't stand out so much...a pet peeve of mine, lol

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast