· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For saving a betta in need - Boundava   you deserve a medal :o) - fishmommie   Congrats on the cycle! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    I always defer to seriouslyfish.com for info on fish requirements: https://www.seriouslyfish.com/specie...a-cacatuoides/
    Seeing the Seriously fish note about how big the footprint of the tank is, I broke out the measuring tape and our 20G measures in at 23 inches x 14 inches x 15 inches. Its not a typical 20H it seems, a bit more fat and not as tall as most are. -- I honestly don't remember where I found this tank, wasn't store bought for sure, possibly an online find.

Managed to get a look back into the tetra zone for fish - a school of Black widow tetra since they're an interesting shape and pattern have been added to the 'approved list', but Hubby doesn't want them as a species only tank.
    Meet the tanks:
    75 Gal Community tank
    30 Gal Axolotl tank
    29 Gal Apisto. Borelli tank
    15 Gal Cube - Zen planted tank

Hubby's 75 Gal - cycling - planned Mbuna tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Your tank is almost 21 US gallons (20.91).

The black widow tetra (black skirt) can be aggressive in certain setups, have a look at the black phantoms (Hyphessobrycon megalopterus)....just as attractive, and very peaceful...but, not sure if they are available to you
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For saving a betta in need - Boundava   you deserve a medal :o) - fishmommie   Congrats on the cycle! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Your tank is almost 21 US gallons (20.91).

The black widow tetra (black skirt) can be aggressive in certain setups, have a look at the black phantoms (Hyphessobrycon megalopterus)....just as attractive, and very peaceful...but, not sure if they are available to you
    Oooh black phantoms are gorgeous! I don't recall seeing anything like that last trip to the LFS when I walked the tetra wall, so I'll keep my eyes open for them.
    Meet the tanks:
    75 Gal Community tank
    30 Gal Axolotl tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    I keep them, they're great little fish...check out the red and yellow phantoms, as well

Here's a short vid of my blacks and yellows in my 29G

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Just from looks alone they remind me of Serpae Tetras Just looked them up and Hyphessobrycon eques popped up- and I guess they share the same genus! I've seen these guys in my LFS from time to time, I just wish they weren't jerks to everyone.

Now I wonder which would be worse black skirts or serpae tetras.
    Meet the tanks:
    75 Gal Community tank
    30 Gal Axolotl tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yep, serpaes are notoriously aggressive...doesn't mean you can't keep either one, but it would have to be in large numbers, and species only, to be safe

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Serpaes and black skirts can be kept in a community tank but you want to avoid tankmates that are slow swimmers or with long fins and, as Slaphppy7 said, you want to get a large group to spread out the aggression. It may be pushing it in a 20g to have a big enough group and other fish as well.

Have you looked into any of the rasbora species? A large group of harlequins look great in a planted tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    An alternative to the tetras might be one of the pencilfish. I have dwarf pencilfish (Nannostomus marginatus) in my 20g long tanks, and beckfordi pencilfish (Nannostomus beckfordi) in a 25g tank. There are also several other species such as Nannostomus eques and nannostomus trifasciatus, to name just 2. These are often used as dither fish with apistogramma species, should you decide to make the apisto a central focus.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    An alternative to the tetras might be one of the pencilfish. I have dwarf pencilfish (Nannostomus marginatus) in my 20g long tanks, and beckfordi pencilfish (Nannostomus beckfordi) in a 25g tank. There are also several other species such as Nannostomus eques and nannostomus trifasciatus, to name just 2. These are often used as dither fish with apistogramma species, should you decide to make the apisto a central focus.
    Hey SueD! I have seen that recommendation for pencil fish with apistos -- I've never seen any in person before! I'll have to take a good look around the LFS to see if they actually stock them, I dont know if they're popular fish in our area. The other thought is going through the Online shops, but I've never ordered anything living online so I'm a little shy about the process.

Hubby seems to have his heart set on apistos, I'm still unsure as I don't really want to end up with a bunch of fry - I'd be ok with apistos if we can find a tank mate that would more than likely snack on any possible fry.

Quote Originally Posted by morrigan View Post
    Have you looked into any of the rasbora species? A large group of harlequins look great in a planted tank.
    I dont mind rasbora's - Hubby doesn't find them very interesting - I think our LFS is to blame, they only have harlequins, and they aren't bright and colourful enough for his tastes.

What started off as a "zen" tank - I think he and I have different thoughts on what "Zen" is -- I was thinking a nice betta, maybe some smaller schooling fish and some shrimps.... he wanted Tigerbarbs, but now set on apistos. -- I think I may need to get myself a small tank for our office and make a true Zen tank, maybe I can find a buddah to go in it.
    Last edited by Argentis; 02-15-2020 at 02:03 PM.
    Meet the tanks:
    75 Gal Community tank
    30 Gal Axolotl tank

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    After a LFS crawl over the afternoon, we hit up 5 different shops in search for what sort of stock they carry.

One of our not so local shops had gorgeous triple red Apistogramma Cacatuoides - Needless to say, We fell in love with them, and found out that they're a regularly stocked item at that shop. Nowhere else we looked did they have any Apisto family.

Finaly saw Black Phantom tetras! Gorgeous little fish! Also saw the blue eye rainbow - super tiny and cute fish! -- Hubby has now decided that Rummynose Tetras (my fave tetra) are in the approved list!

We didn't pick up anyone, since cycle is still in process... but we did come home with a micro sword and another kind of low lying plant in the wavy variant.

Will be going back to the Shrimp specialty shop in a few weeks for the Apistos -- not sure why they're in a shrimp shop, but I'll probably be back there in the future for a nano tank.
    Meet the tanks:
    75 Gal Community tank
    30 Gal Axolotl tank

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast