· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For saving a betta in need - Boundava   you deserve a medal :o) - fishmommie   Congrats on the cycle! - Slaphppy7   

Default Setting up 20G planted tank, some questions

1 Not allowed!
    Heya folks, I've not checked in for a loooong time, but I've a few questions!

Started to set up my old 20G as a Zen tank - Dragon rock hardscape, planted - relatively low tech, but we have a Fluval AquaSky LED System and Flourish substrate. (I also have Liquid Excel & Flourish if needed)

My hubby and I have yet to decide on stocking - I don't want it over stocked, and wanting shrimp etc, and he wants tiger barbs. -- we'll figure something out eventually. -- you should see our 75G community tank, it's rather chaotic (it's his first real aquarium, and he wanted EVERYTHING)

I want to give the plants some time to grow in before we add in any new fishy buddies, but, I don't want to stall the tank out after transferring media from our 75G tank. What would you recommend to do in this case?

I've seen on youtube people adding a fresh raw shrimp to feed the cycle, and also seen straight ammonia being added.

Thoughts?
    Meet the tanks:
    75 Gal Community tank
    30 Gal Axolotl tank
    20 Gal Zen tank in process

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    Hello,

I recommend a fishless cycle. Check out our guides:

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=125481

Even transferring media you may have a lapse where you are not 100% cycled. I just set up a couple tanks with what I thought was cycled media and it still took 1-2 weeks of adding small amounts of ammonia to get the tank cycled to the level where I felt comfortable adding fish to (zero ammonia and nitrites after testing and redosing ammonia-details in the guides). The reason for this is that you only grow as much BB (beneficial bacteria) to accommodate the bioload of the tank. So the media you transferred may have a lot, some or no BB in it. A way to tell is to do the ammonia calculator to find out how much ammonia you need for the fishless cycle and then seeing how fast it is broken down. For example I set up a 30 gallon Sunday and stocked the canister filter 1/2 full with seeded media and dosed the tank with enough ammonia to get to 2ppm. 24 hours later I still had ammonia in the tank after testing, last night I tested and i have no ammonia but I do have 0.25 of nitrites. So even though I put in seeded media I do not have a cycled tank. It may take a week until I get 0 nitrites (as those bacteria are slower growers), or it may be another 24 hours...patience is really important with keeping aquariums-research too.

Ammonia should not have any additives-Ace hardware sells one and you will be set for many future tanks, lol! I believe amazon had one as well, but it has a different concentration. I don't remember the name of it but I think it has flowers-a daisy or 2, on the label.

Plants won't stall a cycle so you can set it up and give the plants some time to settle in while the tank finishes cycling. Just don't do any water changes with a fishless cycle.

A 20 is too small for tiger barbs as those are some deep bodied fish and very active as well. They would work well in the 75, though it seems like your well stocked there, lol. some shrimp and nanofish would work in a 20, or if you don't go with shrimp there are a bunch of other fish that would work in a 20 (is it a 20 long?)
    5.5g- Shrimp tanks
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    5g Salty Tank
    Fish room-*pending*

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room
    Salty Tank

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    The beneficial bacteria already established in the media you've transferred will need something to sustain it and you have a few choices. You can add that raw shrimp or even some flake food every few days - not a choice I would want. Too messy. You can add some ammonia every couple of days but keep checking your water parameters to make sure the ammonia is being processed quickly. There are also products like Fritz Aquatics FritzZyme Nitrifying Bacteria for Fresh Water Aquariums (https://www.amazon.com/Fritz-Aquatic...26&sr=8-6&th=1) that can be added later when you add your fish.

But I would suggest not transferring the seeded media over until you're ready to add the fish.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For saving a betta in need - Boundava   you deserve a medal :o) - fishmommie   Congrats on the cycle! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    A 20 is too small for tiger barbs as those are some deep bodied fish and very active as well. They would work well in the 75, though it seems like your well stocked there, lol. some shrimp and nanofish would work in a 20, or if you don't go with shrimp there are a bunch of other fish that would work in a 20 (is it a 20 long?)
    Thanks for the link to the sticky, I was trying to find that Ammonia dose calculator!

I went out and found some pure ammonia, wasn't easy to locate! Most of the ones I found had additives etc, had to go to our local Dollar store to find it funnily enough!

I was suspecting barbs were a bit big for our 20 -- it's a 20G high. I'll try to break it to him gently that his hopes for tiger barbs isn't really ideal. Maybe I can try to get him to agree to moving some of our smaller schooling fish form the 75 to the 20 instead, we have some Neon tetras and cherry barbs that I think either would do ok once the tank is set.
    Last edited by Argentis; 02-12-2020 at 08:29 PM. Reason: found the ammonia calculator
    Meet the tanks:
    75 Gal Community tank
    30 Gal Axolotl tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Those would work out well, but the neons and barbs are shrimp eaters so if you choose to do shrimp and fish you will need to add the shrimp either in high enough numbers where any losses are absorbed, or earlier than the fish so they can establish themselves (can take a bit of time), or heavily plant the bottom of the tank so that the shrimp can have somewhere to escape predation (kinda loose the watching the shrimp part with this option).
    5.5g- Shrimp tanks
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    5g Salty Tank
    Fish room-*pending*

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room
    Salty Tank

DebinWhitmore

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Did not know the little bums can eat shrimp too! Our 75 has a sole surviving Ghost shrimp from a while ago, the population was slowly decreasing, I had figured someone was having a snack somewhere.

I'm working on a carpet for the tank, so far got Dwarf Sag. in one corner, Rotala in the back with a few sprigs of some kind of Val (was listed as 'assorted'), and some Java Fern. -- I do want to get more in there but our LFS hadn't got it's shipment in when we were there, so I couldn't grab something like S. repens or something else that strikes my fancy.

It's my hubby is rather new to fish keeping - I introduced it into the household when I moved in with my 30G tank a few years back, and he now has the bug and wants so much of everything... I'm so not used to being the person to say 'no we can't have it' when we go to the LFS, lol!
    Meet the tanks:
    75 Gal Community tank
    30 Gal Axolotl tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome back, you've been given great advice above.

All I would add at this point is do not try tiger barbs in a 20 gallon tank. They are notoriously aggressive, and require very large schools to spread that aggression, which a 20G would never accommodate.

Here's some info: https://www.seriouslyfish.com/specie...rus-tetrazona/
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    All I would add at this point is do not try tiger barbs in a 20 gallon tank.
    Chatted with Hubby last night, he didn't realize how big the fish actually got - he was going off of photos of them with no reference to how big an enclosure they were in, and also AQAdvisor says they are an appropriate size for a 20G - I was doing reading that bare minimum is a 20 for them.

Long story short - Tiger Barbs = scrapped.

Now to figure out the actual list of inhabitants while we wait for our friendly bacteria to properly populate the tank. - He said that he wants something nice coloured and schooling, not something like Honey Gourami (but I like Honey Gourami... - We're also thinking if we want inverts in there too.

Personally I do not really want guppies, and he doesn't really want tetras... As Winnie the Pooh said,"think, think, think" as I drink my morning tea with a giant dog head on my lap.
    Meet the tanks:
    75 Gal Community tank
    30 Gal Axolotl tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    No tetras???.....blasphemy!*

*They're one of my favorites
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    No tetras???.....blasphemy!*

*They're one of my favorites

Our 75 Gal in the family room has a small school of Neons! He quite likes them there, but I don't think he wants repeats... ignoring the fact that the tetra family is gigantic... Most of the tetras our LFS carries tend to be not very bright and flashy.

One of the folks in another forum recommended these guys: https://www.shrimpfever.com/shop/fis...ted-blue-eyes/

I've not seen them before, and don't really know what they're like.
    Last edited by Argentis; 02-13-2020 at 02:11 PM. Reason: fish link
    Meet the tanks:
    75 Gal Community tank
    30 Gal Axolotl tank

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast