· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default German blue ram behavior

0 Not allowed!
    Hey,
    The pair I have is a male and a female (as stated by the breeder), I've noticed the bigger one (the male I assume) sometimes chases the smaller one (the female I assume), and gently nudges her in her side\head. Till now,I've never seen fin nipping or any signs of violence whatsoever (I've only had them for 4 days now). And the chasing is not constant too, it's more like : he chases her for a bit, they both stop and then it continues. Sometimes, when the female gets away and the male looses sight of her, she stops, waits for a bit and then swims towards him, making herself noticable and it starts all over again. They stay hidden most of the time, that or maybe I fail to see them clearly as the tub is full of pothos and tannins and I have a desk flourecent light (not strong at all). When feeding time comes (they come up to the front of the tub and stare at me, cute things), I make sure they both eat enough. The male doesn't bully the female when feeding, and they both "steal" bloodworms from each other.There are plenty of hiding places (coconut halves,catappa leaves...) so the female can get away and hide, only she usually doesn't do that when being chased. I'd hate to return one of them to the breeder but i also fear the female is being stressed. She's eating good, her colors seem good, although they're both not the most colorful GBRs I've seen. I've also noticed today (as they finally started swimming freely and showing themselves), that the male would nudge the female, she would swim away to the opposite direction, stop, swim towrds him and try to pass him by, only for him to gently nudge her again and then rub himself against the heater, some vines,or the sides of the tub.
    Is this pairing behavior that I'm not aware of?
    Any help\advice is appreciated.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    If you are certain you have a male/female pair, and that the male is stressing the female, it may help to add another female, to spread his aggression....but, you must be sure of the genders you already have

More info: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/cich...manblueram.php
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 02-02-2020 at 04:12 PM.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yep,I'm pretty sure of their genders. Asked the breeder again after sending him a photo. And I also checked myself, the male's secong\third dorsal fin ray is the longest, while the female's the first dorsal fin ray is the longest. The female (the smaller one) also has the prettiest shining blue scales on the weak black spot on her side. She also appears to have this pinkish hue and much less pronounced (weak) black spots\stripes on her sides.
    Could confirm the genders now since the fish is way more comfortable swimming around and way less skittish.
    Will talk with the breeder about getting another female. In about 4 months I'll be moving them to a 20 gallon tank, since I'm graduating, so they'll have more space.