· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Substrate in German ram tank

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,
    Recently, I was lucky enough to stumble upon a breeder of these lil guys who was selling them for a very good price. After dreaming about them and looking for them for years, I couldn't pass on this opportunity so I got a pair. I housed them in my betta tank which is fully cycled and has been running for a year, while the betta moved to a new tank. Now, the tank that they reside in has gravel, and I'd love to change it to quartz sand, but I'm afraid that I'll get rid of the healthy bacteria population that's living on the gravel. Is there a way of doing so without harming the tank and making the cycle crash?
    Any advice is highly appreciated.
    P.S. the betta was moved to a tank of equal size, as I love all my children the same, and have no favorites :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC

What size tank are the GBRs in now, and how is it filtered?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    15 US gallon (55 liters) long tub, filtered by a relatively big sponge filter and an internal filter (300L\H or about 79 US gallon\H). It also has a ton of pothos and syngonium, as well as 3 anubias plants (Barteri I'm assuming) and some moss balls.
    They share the tub with 2 apple snails,some pest snails and some neocaridina shrimp (about 9 or so).
    Last edited by Orcinus; 02-02-2020 at 10:03 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    You should be able to make the switch without a problem. Your filters should carry sufficient beneficial bacteria, especially considering the low bioload. Just keep an eye on your water parameters for a while.

I can only relate my experience when I upgraded once from a 26g to a 40g tank. I used all new substrate, all new water (dechlorinated, of course), and new décor except for one large anubias I transferred. Because I was going to a larger tank, I also added a new filter, but continued to run the old filter as well for several months. I transferred 13 fish from the old tank which included 2 silver dollars, a BN pleco and some tetras. I had no issues and no losses with this upgrade.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks alot for your opinion, it's highly appreciated :)
    I'm very excited for this transition, although it'll take some time to catch all the tiny shrimp. It's worth it though,as I'm sure that the fish will be happier.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Agree with Sue, changing out the substrate should not affect your cycle; just be certain your filter media stays wet during the entire process...I would keep it submerged in old tank water in a bowl, if the filter(s) could drain when you empty the tank.

Good luck, changing out substrate is not a fun job, lol
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 02-03-2020 at 01:29 PM.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    It'll take half a day I suppose, as I plan to ransfer the gravel to the betta barebottom tub and scrub everything till it's sparking. Found a great deal for a 55 pound bag of pool filter sand, but at the same time, a LFS is selling a 22 pound bag for the same price. I don't have a pool and have no idea what I'll do with the huge bag of sand, but I'm getting that 55 pounder. I'd imagine how weirded out the delivery guy will be when he finds out that he's delivering this amount of pool sand to the uni dorms.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Yes, I use pool filter sand in a couple of my tanks, nice stuff, looks good, plants grow well, and inexpensive

The bags aren't really that large, sand is heavy, and who knows, maybe you'll need more for your next tank ;)

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    I'm buying this much sand as an excuse to get more tanks, so I can "put it to use" lol.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I like that way of thinking ;)