· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

Default I知 honestly a bit baffled...

0 Not allowed!
    At this point I have dealt with an ammonia spike to .5 and some seriously milky cloudy looking water in the last week and I知 not sure I can explain why. Today I noticed that the glass seemed to be developing a calcium type looking build up on it that I had to scrape off. I haven稚 had any of this previously.

So a few weeks ago I had a very stable 38 gallon main tank. I moved one of two AC50s to the right side of the tank rather than them both being on the left and things got even better. After that I began looking into what it was going to take to get some additional plant growth in the tank. I was already dosing seachem flourish twice weekly but started also dosing excel daily per the directions. I got some additional plants and put 6 total root tabs in the tank. At one point I decided to rearrange the plants and at the same time moved a couple of the root tabs. I have done three water changes in the last 2 weeks and when cleaning the filters I noticed one of the older pieces of poly fill was almost dissenigrstinf so I squeezed it out good into the old media and then discarded it. The following time I changed water I did the same but with a piece of media from the other filter that was falling appart. I noticed after the second water change that the water never cleared up. Then a day later I noted an ammonia spike. I dosed with prime and it immediately came back down. The water never cleared up so a day later I did a water change of 50%(previous WCs mentioned were only about 25-30%). It has now been two more days and the water is still cloudy and I noticed what appeared to be calcium build up in the glass that I致e never had before. Water parameters as of last night still looked good no ammonia, no nitrite 5-10 nitrate.

Did a cloudy release of nutrients from the tabs when I pulled them out of the substrate and relocated them cause this instability/cloudiness/ammonia spike? Did the discard of filter media cause it? I thought the discarding of media could explain the spike and the cloudiness because often the water becomes cloudy as the bacterial colony establishes but then tidsybehen I noticed the calcium build up I began to question if it was some how related to the root tabs.

As I said I知 a little baffled at this point. Fish still seem healthy no losses other than one of 3 otos.

Also keep in mind these filters and the tank have been established for well over a year at this point.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

0 Not allowed!
    It won’t let me edit, that should say dissenigrated.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    And when I say I squeezed it out I mean into the other media that would remain, and then discarded the piece that was falling appart.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    And in the third to last paragraph that should say today I noticed...not sure where the other gibberish came from.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mspringer View Post
    And in the third to last paragraph that should say today I noticed...not sure where the other gibberish came from.
    Acrially “today when I noticed”
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Are you posting through your phone?

My guess is the ferts are throwing the chemical balance in the tank out-of-whack...stable all of this time, then you start adding chemicals...more than a coincidence, I bet
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

的f there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    Find the ingredients on the root tabs. I'm pretty sure the calcium/mineral build up is from something you introduced to the tank recently (excel, root tabs, etc.)

The cloudiness is the result of removing part of your heterotrophic bacteria colony in the old media, digging up the substrate as you move things around, as well as a combination of adding the new items that introduced more nutrients into your tank. Simply squeezing the old media won't remove all the bacteria in there.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I have added flourish and excel for some time now just got excel again recently so I hadn’t added it in a bit but it is something that had been added previously.

Just looked at the root tabs and site enough they have like 14% calcium that’s a huge amount compared to flourish which is .14%. My guess is moving root tabs is a big no-go. Note to self...once a root tab is in don’t move it. There was quite a cloud of nutrients that came off the tabs when I moved them I think that’s what did it.

I’m going to change some water again today I think and keep a close eye on the parameters. If the water doesn’t clear up within another week and/or I continue to get calcium build up I think I will remove or completely discontinue the use of the tabs.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    Find the ingredients on the root tabs. I'm pretty sure the calcium/mineral build up is from something you introduced to the tank recently (excel, root tabs, etc.)

The cloudiness is the result of removing part of your heterotrophic bacteria colony in the old media, digging up the substrate as you move things around, as well as a combination of adding the new items that introduced more nutrients into your tank. Simply squeezing the old media won't remove all the bacteria in there.

Specifically to the point of squeezing the media I didn’t expect it to move all of the bacteria but figured it couldn’t hurt and it’s one the the things I’ve done previously when I removed media without issue. I know you never really know where the bacteria is hiding but you’d like to think most of it hangs out in your ceramic bio media...

I think I removed some from each of them too close in time to one another and maybe two much at one time. I felt comfortable with it at the time because I had done it before but obviously didn’t pan out in this case.

I am used to some cloudiness in the water after a water change and vacuuming gravel or moving decor due to the debris that’s kicked up but that typically only lasts a few hours. I believe I’m coming up on a week for sure several days now with the cloudiness in this case.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Are you posting through your phone?

My guess is the ferts are throwing the chemical balance in the tank out-of-whack...stable all of this time, then you start adding chemicals...more than a coincidence, I bet

I agree. Thought I was doing a good thing for the tank trying to get some more love plants going but I think I did too much at once. Especially discarding some media at the same time. Too many variables.
    ~Pray for Henry~