· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

Default Rasbora Video and Plant Discussion.

1 Not allowed!
    Hello all. The Rasboras were quite playful today so I thought Iíd capture a short video of them, you can see that here...

In other news Iím wondering if you all have some advise for me with regards to getting good plant growth.

I am going to buy some more plants but first I wanted to try and get the ones I have thriving again. They are some sort of sword variation I think and have been in the tank for what seems like a year or better at this point it was one plant that was thriving I split it into two white a while back and it still did pretty decent but it seems like slowly over time the leafs are growing smaller and smaller as they come in and there are led and less leaves.

I have useed seachem excel for some time then recently got some flourish also to start adding but then ran out of excel so havenít used it in probably about a month. I have more on order so I was going to use them both consistently to see where that got me.

I donít typically gravel Vacuum right around the plants to try and leave the neutorents there for them.

Lighting is on about 11 hours a day roughly 8 of which you could say I have at full power with a 1.5 hour long sun rise and set at each end for a total of 11 hours. The light I have set at 80% red 60% blue and 40% green and white. I have been slowly bumping the white up from 15% to the 40 that itís at now over the last month or so but canít say as tho Iíve seen any difference.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mspringer View Post
    Hello all. The Rasboras were quite playful today so I thought I’d capture a short video of them, you can see that here...

In other news I’m wondering if you all have some advise for me with regards to getting good plant growth.

I am going to buy some more plants but first I wanted to try and get the ones I have thriving again. They are some sort of sword variation I think and have been in the tank for what seems like a year or better at this point it was one plant that was thriving I split it into two white a while back and it still did pretty decent but it seems like slowly over time the leafs are growing smaller and smaller as they come in and there are led and less leaves.

I have useed seachem excel for some time then recently got some flourish also to start adding but then ran out of excel so haven’t used it in probably about a month. I have more on order so I was going to use them both consistently to see where that got me.

I don’t typically gravel Vacuum right around the plants to try and leave the neutorents there for them.

Lighting is on about 11 hours a day roughly 8 of which you could say I have at full power with a 1.5 hour long sun rise and set at each end for a total of 11 hours. The light I have set at 80% red 60% blue and 40% green and white. I have been slowly bumping the white up from 15% to the 40 that it’s at now over the last month or so but can’t say as tho I’ve seen any difference.
    Hoping the excel onna regular basis is the trick. Should be here by Tuesday I think.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Bump bump bump
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Sorry, its hard to see new posts as they don't always come up unter the "new posts" tab-at least for me. I miss email notifications for thread updates.

Swords are heavy, almost 100% root feeders so you want to add root tabs every 6 months or so. Seachem makes some and I know you cam DIY some osmocote ones by either freezing some in an ice cube tray and burying it near the sword, or buying some gel capsules and filling them with the osmocote to place in the substrate. I have used Seachem and frozen osmocote to good success (when my plecos leave them alone).

This is the variey you want to use
    https://www.amazon.com/Osmocote-Outd...18533345&psc=1

And if you were going gel capsules, my understanding is the smaller=0, bigger is more 00

You can encourage some immediate growth by trimming the swords roots by up to 1/3 and re planting them, additionally they tend to do better in larger grade substrate but one that isn't densely packed to limit root movement. so a corser sand or fine gravel. Some fine sand densely packed would limit root growth in my experience.
    5.5g- Shrimp tanks
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    5g Salty Tank
    Fish room-*pending*

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room
    Salty Tank

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Sorry, its hard to see new posts as they don't always come up unter the "new posts" tab-at least for me. I miss email notifications for thread updates.

Swords are heavy, almost 100% root feeders so you want to add root tabs every 6 months or so. Seachem makes some and I know you cam DIY some osmocote ones by either freezing some in an ice cube tray and burying it near the sword, or buying some gel capsules and filling them with the osmocote to place in the substrate. I have used Seachem and frozen osmocote to good success (when my plecos leave them alone).

And if you were going gel capsules, my understanding is the smaller=0, bigger is more 00

You can encourage some immediate growth by trimming the swords roots by up to 1/3 and re planting them, additionally they tend to do better in larger grade substrate but one that isn't densely packed to limit root movement. so a corser sand or fine gravel. Some fine sand densely packed would limit root growth in my experience.
    Both the live plants are next to an air stone that’s in the middle back of the tank. I recently read that airstones drive out the C02 in the tank. Is this true? I turned off the stone a little bit ago. At this point I liked the look of it in the back of the tank but I disliked how the filters were pushing the bubbles back down into the tank all the time anyway.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Both the live plants are next to an air stone that’s in the middle back of the tank. I recently read that airstones drive out the C02 in the tank. Is this true? I turned off the stone a little bit ago. At this point I liked the look of it in the back of the tank but I disliked how the filters were pushing the bubbles back down into the tank all the time anyway.
    I actually seem to be reading a mixture of things on this.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!

Does my lighting seem alright? Even with only two small plants does it make sense that I would have to supplement so much? Are their other plant variations that you think would do better? I don’t want to spend a ton of money till I get a couple of them thriving and healthy then I’ll be willing to get more.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Does my lighting seem alright? Even with only two small plants does it make sense that I would have to supplement so much? Are their other plant variations that you think would do better? I don’t want to spend a ton of money till I get a couple of them thriving and healthy then I’ll be willing to get more.

I should also mention that though it is a sand substrate it is pretty course sand.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Lighting seems fine to me. Regarding air stones pushing CO2 out, they do to a limit but if you have an indicator that shows your tank has the correct amount of CO2 then it's fine. I ran multiple air stones with my system when I had it set up and my tank was in the green all the time (30ppm if I remember correctly).
    5.5g- Shrimp tanks
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    5g Salty Tank
    Fish room-*pending*

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room
    Salty Tank

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!

I turned the air stone back on I know it probably isn’t needed with good filtration(there are 2 AC50s on the 38 gallon tank) but I like the peace of mind.

I have root tabs on order should be here Thursday. The Seachem Excel will be here today.

My current plan is to dose with seachem flourish every 3 days and excel daily per the bottle. See what that does after about a week and if I’m not getting much new growth or a difference I’ll likely move at least one of them per your recommendation and then add the tabs.

If you have further advice let me know and also I would appreciate it if you read all of my posts, sorry I kind of broke it up into several as I thought of different things.

I greatly appreciate your advice!
    ~Pray for Henry~