· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

Default Battery Backup with an air powered sponge filter?

0 Not allowed!
    Good morning everyone. Thought I would ask what everyone is doing with their aquariums to prepare them in case of a loss of power.

I am contemplating getting an AC powered air pump with batter backup and two outlets. Using one outlet to power the air stone/bubbler I have in the tank under the sand all the time and then the other outlet for an added sponge filter that I would leave in all the time. Do I want an additional object in the tank? Not really. But seems like this would atleast help in the case of a loss of power and would give some added filtration also.

Obviously wouldn’t mitigate all effects of a power outage, but would help with keeping 02 up in the water and give some filtration to help with ammonia spikes.

What are your thoughts and methods?
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    I just keep some cheapo battery-powered air pumps for power outtages, got 3 of them for 15-$20 a while back
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    I just keep some cheapo battery-powered air pumps for power outtages, got 3 of them for 15-$20 a while back
    That works if you are there to set them up right, but what if your not around? That’s why I’m considering the other option.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Good point....but I'm a homebody, rarely leave the house...if it wasn't for work, I probably never would, lol

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mspringer View Post
    That works if you are there to set them up right, but what if your not around? That’s why I’m considering the other option.

Looks like for roughly 25-30 dollars I could get an ac powered pump with battery backup and 2 outlets along with a sponge filter.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Good point....but I'm a homebody, rarely leave the house...if it wasn't for work, I probably never would, lol

Nice!

Let’s say you weren’t a homebody, then what?
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Then, I'd just hope the power doesn't go out

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Then, I'd just hope the power doesn't go out
    Ha. We have lived in our house about 6 years now and the power had never been out more than a couple of hours. I’d say the average is maybe 2 hours twice per year with the occasional 5-10 minute outage mixed in here and there. For that probably no worry at all right?

I know here soon they are replacing all of the lines and poles on our road though and I’m expecting to be without power for 8-12 hours that day.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Yeah, those short intervals won't hurt anything...I've been w/out power a few times before I had the backups, for 6 or 7 hours, no harm to the fish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, those short intervals won't hurt anything...I've been w/out power a few times before I had the backups, for 6 or 7 hours, no harm to the fish
    Good to know. What I read shows an average of around a day or two before it really affects them.

Another option I just thought if that could work to power all of the current equipment I have is a UPS like you would use for electronics. Seems like those are 40-100 dollars though.
    ~Pray for Henry~