· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The 55 gallon.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

3 Not allowed!
    Great advice from Boundava! She knows what she is talking about. I hope you take her advice for the health and safety of your fish. Or else you should set up more tanks to accommodate some of your choices.
    Sil's 2nd Time Around 75G...Journal
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Real courage is moving forward when the outcome is uncertain~~Fortune Cookie

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you, I was thinking recently, I have gotten an Electric Yellow Cichlid recently at about 1 1/2 inches and is doing okay. I only want to have up to twenty fish in the tank at a time. At current I have 3 Mainganos, 2 Auratus at different sizes, a larger jewel Cichlid who is the tank boss at over 2 inches, an Albino Bristle nose Pleco, and a kuhli Loach all in the same 55. I recently got a test kit.
    I have a 36 gallon with another Jewel Cichlid. Nearly same water chemistry.
    pH: 8.2
    nitrate: 40 ppm
    ammonia: 0 ppm
    nitrite: 0 ppm
    Any suggestions on what to do with my tank at current? It has plenty of decorations.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I do want to put dividers in the tank as well before I stock it to completely 20 fish. The only problem with this idea is that I don't know what size all of these fish are mature enough to breed. I am going with the most aggressive Mbunas so I am going to remove the Electric Yellow Cichlid later on.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I just figured out I may have gotten a yellow Kenyi Cichlid as it has no black lining over the dorsal fin. Is that a likely hood? It is chased around by everybody else in the tank though being the smallest fish. The fish is all yellow with no back or "egg spots" leading me to now classify it as a kenyi Cichlid.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for a fellow front lover - sailor   All the saltwater help! - squirt_12   Thanks! - squirt_12   For the million fish man - Lady Hobbs   Excellent puffer advice. - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    Kenyi of both genders start off as blue/black vertically striped fish. The males transition from this pattern to a yellowish when they transition from juveniles to sub-adults. You may have a yellow lab with absent or under-developed black dorsal fin markings. Or could be something else.

Can you post a pic?

I've no experience with jewel cichlids, however when considering the aggressive nature and territorial traits that these fish develop, mbuna's are going to require the full length of a 48" tank when considering long term success, especially with male auratus in the mix.
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Jewel Cichlids are bothe in a 36 gallon, but then they started mouth fighting. They are about 3 inches long from head to tail, and one of them is bright red while the other is inactive. Sad. There are plenty of decorations in it.
    I either have a Yellow lab with no black fins or something else then. Slightly bigger than an inch.
    All Mbunas are in the 55 gallon, while the Jewel Cichlids are in the 36.
    I have now 3 Auratus, one of them being the biggest fish in the tank at about 2.8 inches, 3 Mainganos, and one mystery fish.
    The Auratus are all females right now, with the biggest Auratus terrorizing everybody else. I mean EVERYBODY he comes across. My Kuhli loach and Albino Bristlenose are doing fine in the 55 with my cichlids, but I really would like to move the Pleco to my 36 for clean up. Not doing that for another 4 weeks or so. Have never cleaned my tank out (with the possible exception of algae) since it was started 3 months ago.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    You were advised about the incompatibility of these fish, and tank requirements, and chose to ignore the advice and stock them anyway.

I foresee many problems with these tanks in the very near future, some of which have already started.

IMO, it's unfair and cruel for the fish to be subjected to these conditions.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Here, I'll send a video of it.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Suddenly found out that keeping a few Auratus in a 55 with a a variety of other species is going to be a total failure! Also, computer sent videos is proving difficult. I am beginning to rethink this whole layout. I need at least one male only, leave all the fish in the tank, and stock say... 8 more Auratus females. That adds up to 17 fish in total, the majority being Auratus. I read that Albino Bristlenose Plecos are quite adoptable to water conditions (correct?). I still think my Kuhli loach will do just fine as he has lived with 4 adult Cichlids in a 36 gallon for quite a long time with out sustaining any injuries. I think he is adopted to hard water conditions. Since I only have about 17 fish in the tank if I get eight female Auratus, I think I would stock the whole rest of the tank with Red Zebras, probably removing the Yellow lab which is probably a hybrid between Red Zebra Cichlids and Yellow Labs because he was sold with Red Zebras in the tanks next to him by Petsmart. Total list: 11 Auratus (one male to ten females), 4 Mainganos (one male to 3 females), 5 Red Zebras (one male to four females), One Bristlenose Pleco, One Black Kuhli Loach. Would anyone like it better if I removed the pleco and Black Kuhli and got another female Maingano? Jewel Cichlid I moved to 36 gallon hasn't been seen for 2 days. Might be hiding in big wooden decoration. I feed my fish pellets, and I am also planning to get a Marineland Emperor alongside my Right size C Penguin Marineland filter. Anything wrong with here? I am sorry for the read, but I really want to get this tank set up as soon as possible with a Mbuna Community tank. Is anyone in my tank likely to be killed if I go with the list I chose?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cichlid Keeper View Post
    I do want to put dividers in the tank as well before I stock it to completely 20 fish. The only problem with this idea is that I don't know what size all of these fish are mature enough to breed. I am going with the most aggressive Mbunas so I am going to remove the Electric Yellow Cichlid later on.
    You have a 55 and fish that will be 6-7" and you want to put in dividers? Is this to keep them from harming each other? How does this seem like a good idea? If a fish isn't compatible-they shouldn't be housed together and fish that size will need the entirety 55 gallon, not part of it.
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore