· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Cycling a 55g tall

0 Not allowed!
    So I've been cycling my 55g tall tank for about a month and a half. I've been adding stresszyme and quick start every week after I change the water. I've also been adding stuff from my other established tanks to help. I have a large sailfin pleco, a danio, a red fin tetra and 2 little guppies in there right now. My water perimeters are Ammonia .25 nitrite 0 nitrate at 20 ppm before water change. And 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 10 ppm nitrate after water change. Ph is 7.4
    Any thoughts on if I might be able to add my large angel fish to this tank or should I wait longer? Any advice welcome.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sunscream1488 View Post
    So I've been cycling my 55g tall tank for about a month and a half. I've been adding stresszyme and quick start every week after I change the water. I've also been adding stuff from my other established tanks to help. I have a large sailfin pleco, a danio, a red fin tetra and 2 little guppies in there right now. My water perimeters are Ammonia .25 nitrite 0 nitrate at 20 ppm before water change. And 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 10 ppm nitrate after water change. Ph is 7.4
    Any thoughts on if I might be able to add my large angel fish to this tank or should I wait longer? Any advice welcome.
    Update. I put some peetmoss in the filter to lower the pH and got a nice piece of driftwood to put in there. I will check the pH daily and take the peet moss out when I get to 6.0 since I'm going to be putting my angel fish in there and the pH is pretty acidic in the 125 I have them in now and don't want to stress them out to much or at all if possible so I will match the temp and pH the best I can before putting my angel fish in there.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    A steady ph level is always safer than one that fluctuates.

I have no experience with angel fish, but trying to change the params in the tank, regardless of method, is tricky at best.

I do know angel fish are social fish, not to be kept singularly, as are the danio, tetra, and guppies.

Have you considered how this potential ph change has affected the fish you already have?

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

"Stresszyme" and "quick start" are not needed in a cycled tank, and will only complicate matters.

A cycled tank will have 0 ammonia.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    A steady ph level is always safer than one that fluctuates.

I have no experience with angel fish, but trying to change the params in the tank, regardless of method, is tricky at best.

I do know angel fish are social fish, not to be kept singularly, as are the danio, tetra, and guppies.

Have you considered how this potential ph change has affected the fish you already have?

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

"Stresszyme" and "quick start" are not needed in a cycled tank, and will only complicate matters.

A cycled tank will have 0 ammonia.
    Well the danio and tetra I have down there are completely fine and healthy but the pleco seems a bit stressed and I think it's a combination of uprooting him from his home tank and the higher pH. I put some sphagnum moss in the filter and a large piece of driftwood yesterday so I'm gonna go check it again soon. Angelfish like a lower pH and I won't put them in that tank until the water is perfect, which could take awhile but I have a couple months to get it right. I have 2 angelfish and I might add a couple more of those red fin tetras when the time comes. I'm more worried about getting the water parameters where they need to be. I want to get the pH to about 6 to 6.5 and the Ammonia nitrites and nitrates will work itself out in the next couple weeks and I've just been adding the stresszyme and quick start to help with the growth of beneficial bacteria and to lower the stress of my pleco who seems a bit pale.