· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Mbuna with sunken belly

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, about 2 mounth ago we've noticed her belly being sunken. about 3 weeks ago we changed her food {she was eating meaty ciclids food and now shes eating vegy mbuna food based on algea} and try a treatment with praziquantel.so far no improvment. she is active and feeding, her colors are bit faded but other then that she dosnet show any other symptoms, her poop seems fins as well, short and the color of the food.
    She is in a 500 L tank alone, temp is 26,WC are 25% every week with air pump and an external filter
    im very worried and wanted to ask for advice how to treat her.

thank you

[IMG]https://scontent.ftlv1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-9/79751977_1506021299563677_1001868484059070464_n.jp g?_nc_cat=103&_nc_oc=AQlHC_HZNsSyRAXXADqWcjMCJLC5t FNFOa0wNK44zYBYXdOrlzhgGXO1GUPQTv1jVFg&_nc_ht=scon tent.ftlv1-2.fna&oh=8922ce67d59d29030515d957d0aadbce&oe=5EB17 4C7[/IMG
    Last edited by SaveThemAll1; 12-20-2019 at 10:16 AM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I must admit that Mbunas can't eat too much Protein or else they will have digestive problems (Often Leading to Malawi Bloat which is often fatal and untreatable). Continue feeding your Mbuna Plenty of Veggies as they will supplement for the herbivorous wild diet. Do not feed Mbuna Cichlids too much protein ever. There is sadly no way to treat Malawi Bloat. Improve the diet or don't feed her too often to clear out the protein. If feeding her at all, feed Veggies.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for a fellow front lover - sailor   All the saltwater help! - squirt_12   Thanks! - squirt_12   For the million fish man - Lady Hobbs   Excellent puffer advice. - Brookfish   

2 Not allowed!
    You can try medicated fish flakes (containing metronidazole).
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    When feeding Mbuna Cichlids, the rule is simple. If you feed too much protein, they're going to Bloat. Going on their natural diet of algae and plants, the best food is anything that is high quality vegetable foods. I don't know what Malawi Bloat looks like yet, but I don't want to see it. Looks like an Electric Yellow Mbuna to me even without all that deep yellow. I know that some people like to pick out the ones with the least white. I wonder if that is referring to which ones are healthier or which ones are Hybrids.
    Last edited by The Cichlid Keeper; 12-26-2019 at 05:47 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Metro or a dewormer. Personally i'm leaning toward lacing some veggie foods with Fenbendazole or dosing the water with Levamisole (dewormer).
    Disclaimer: I have never kept african cichilds, but it looks just like my EB ram when he had camallanus worms. I did not observe any abnormalities with his poop and really the only thing I observed was his sunken abdomen and general wasting. He was still eating, he was not hiding like cichlids with Hex usually do. I used Levamisole and it worked to stop the spread of the parasite. Sadly, any fish that showed symptoms perished shortly after, it all depends on the severity of the infestation and damage. Definitely his nutrition is very important, right up there with keeping the water fresh and clean. He will need his immune to fight off the parasites if that's what it is, so no1 priority.

If you have a microscope, for sure check out his poop to diagnose so you use the right med the first time.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 12-27-2019 at 03:59 AM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    Great advice!
    5.5g- Shrimp tanks
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    5g Salty Tank
    Fish room-*pending*

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room
    Salty Tank

DebinWhitmore

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I still think it's bloating. If the diet isn't changed, bloating may be a result.

For identification, the fish is a White Labidochromis caeruleus in case you would like to know. They are not that aggressive and can be housed with Peacocks and Haps. Thus, I recommend adding more Cichlids in later.

One more thing, with proper care and feeding a Mbuna will show excellent colors.

There are several other species of White Mbuna but this looks like one of those caeruleus because of the Black Edge on the dorsal fin. The White Socolofi are albinos with red eyes. A third species is actually a White variant of the Cobalt Blue Zebra Cichlid including no black edge on the dorsal fin and no red eyes.
    Last edited by The Cichlid Keeper; 01-02-2020 at 10:46 PM.