· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

Default Stocking Opinions Welcome!

0 Not allowed!
    Hello all, I’m having a little internal debate on the next steps for our 38 gallon aquarium (12”w X 21”tall X 36” long)

Currently the stocking is 8 golden barbs and 5 Harlequin Rasbora. Used to have 6 rasbora but one was very small, never grew up and ended up getting partially eaten by a barb and then died. The rest of the rasbora are medium to large in size for their species and get along great with the golden barbs which have been in the tank for roughly 3 months or so now. Very happy with both the barbs and the rasbora.

The tank is well decorated and has a couple of live plants i am hoping to get the plants to take off more and possibly add to the live plants just to thicken things up a bit and create more hiding spaces and a more natural look.

Eventually I want 1 or 2 snails likely nerites that’s a given for us.

Debating if we should add 3 more rasbora to bump that school up to 8 or to just be happy with the 5 of them.

Next I am debating a single picture catfish specimene(I know our tank is on the small size for them but I have kept a single specimens previously in a similar or slightly smaller size tank with success and I think the pace of the pictus would liven up the aquarium and have no issues dealing with the rasbora or barbs.

The only other thought I had was to try a school of Cory again. I have had albinos previously but with the sepae tetra I had, rasbora, and zebra danio they just never seemed happy they were always pressured during feeding times and hiding most of the rest. Possible another species of Cory is more hardy to this sort of thing? Also possible with additional live plants it will create an environment where they feel safer? Those were some thoughts I had anyway. In the end I’d love one or more bottom feeders tho to call the tank “complete”.

Thanks in advance!
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

0 Not allowed!
    Should also add that I’m debating the order in which to add the above mentioned options.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    I would up both of the schools you already have, to 12 each.

Add a school of corys, try pandas, you could do 6 or 8 in a tank that size.

I'd avoid the pictus cat, as you know, it needs to be in at least a 4 foot tank, but more importantly, it's predatory...your other fish may begin to disappear
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I would read up a little more on the catfish - I'm assuming you mean pictus catfish, rather than "picture". Here are 2 articles recommending a larger - and longer - tank than you have.

http://www.hookacatfish.org/6-exciti...fish-may-know/
    https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/pimelodus-pictus/

My suggestion would be to add the additional rasboras and then a school of maybe 6 cories. Generally the albinos are cory anaeus, which seem to be a hardy cory, although I haven't had this one. I have 2 sterbai left in one tank that are about 9 years old. Another tank (40g) has 6 Schwartzi cories that are just over 3 years and 3 Duplicareus in a 20g, 2 of which are 4.5 yrs old and one was a fry from the 2 adults who is now 2 yrs old. Honestly, except for the 2 sterbai, mine seem to hide most of the time which may be due to the low numbers. But I believe it's important to make sure they get fed some sinking foods and not assume they will just eat leftovers from the rest of the tankmates. My 40g has diamond tetras and candy cane/Bentosi tetras, both of which are very active feeders. When I feed flakes, I make sure to add some sinking pellets (often Bug Bites) for the cories. When I feed frozen foods, these will generally sink and I make sure to add enough so that the cories get their share.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Agree with the comments on the pictus cat. For the Cory's I have had the albino aeneus and they aren't shy in the right #s. Have you had gold barbs previously? They get to be a solid size, when I had a group they were closer to 3" and very wide in body like tiger barbs tend to get. They also prefer cooler water Temps than the corys.

I just got a group of 17 gold barbs to go into a 75 with my dojo loaches. It's a coldwater tank which both species prefer.
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    I would read up a little more on the catfish - I'm assuming you mean pictus catfish, rather than "picture". Here are 2 articles recommending a larger - and longer - tank than you have.

http://www.hookacatfish.org/6-exciti...fish-may-know/
    https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/pimelodus-pictus/

My suggestion would be to add the additional rasboras and then a school of maybe 6 cories. Generally the albinos are cory anaeus, which seem to be a hardy cory, although I haven't had this one. I have 2 sterbai left in one tank that are about 9 years old. Another tank (40g) has 6 Schwartzi cories that are just over 3 years and 3 Duplicareus in a 20g, 2 of which are 4.5 yrs old and one was a fry from the 2 adults who is now 2 yrs old. Honestly, except for the 2 sterbai, mine seem to hide most of the time which may be due to the low numbers. But I believe it's important to make sure they get fed some sinking foods and not assume they will just eat leftovers from the rest of the tankmates. My 40g has diamond tetras and candy cane/Bentosi tetras, both of which are very active feeders. When I feed flakes, I make sure to add some sinking pellets (often Bug Bites) for the cories. When I feed frozen foods, these will generally sink and I make sure to add enough so that the cories get their share.
    Yes I meant pictus auto correct changed it.

In regards to feedings I used to do the same but the other fish would always finish the flakes and then dart to the bottom and put pressure on the Cory or shew them out of the way.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Agree with the comments on the pictus cat. For the Cory's I have had the albino aeneus and they aren't shy in the right #s. Have you had gold barbs previously? They get to be a solid size, when I had a group they were closer to 3" and very wide in body like tiger barbs tend to get. They also prefer cooler water Temps than the corys.

I just got a group of 17 gold barbs to go into a 75 with my dojo loaches. It's a coldwater tank which both species prefer.
    I have not had gold barbs before but have enjoyed these thus far. I am hoping they get as big as you say actually, I am thinking at that size they will show off well in the tank. In regards to temp I know they are on the lower end of things prefer no higher than 75ish which is where my tank sits most of the time.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Most Corry prefer higher than 75.
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Most Corry prefer higher than 75.
    Most places I have read suggested 74 to 80.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I still feel like the cories would just be too peaceful for the rasboras and gold barbs during feeding time.
    ~Pray for Henry~