· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Actually, a lot of cories do like it on the cooler side. The Sterbai can take it a little warmer and I got those because they were going in with an angel which I kept at 80F. I know my schwartzi has a recommended temp of 72 - 75F and the duplicareus from 68 - 78F. Even my dwarfs has recommended temps from 68 - 78F. I no longer have the angel so that tank has been reduced to about 76F, and my other tanks run about 75-76F.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

0 Not allowed!
    I ended up getting 5 Oto catfish about a week ago. Thinking Iíll have those and then add between 3 and 6 more Harlequin Rasboras to bring the overall stocking to

8 gold barbs
    8-11 Harlequin Rasboras
    5 Otos

We have still been spending a lot of time away and at the hospital so still trying to not stock to heavily. Based on that does this seem good to you guys? If at some point Iím less worried for the potential of missing a water change and willing to stock heavier would you add anything more?
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    That looks like a nice tank with the added otos. I'd suggest living with that stocking for a while (including the added rasboras) and see how it all goes. You may still be able to add some cories later on, depending on how you see the tank and its activity.

And don't sweat it if you have to skip a water change. If your tank is stable, all will be well and you can just get it done when you can. All of my tanks have been running for years now and none of them get weekly water changes - it's usually 2-3 weeks in between. This may not work for everyone, though, as stocking levels and plant density play a part in tank stability. So use caution if changing a routine especially in a newer setup. But one missed water change here and there should have little to no impact.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I found out that almost all of these fish are incompatible due to temperature requirements. They are all compatible in terms of diet. I would do some careful research on which Corydoras Catfish to include in this tank, but I am sure that some of them will fit in the 64 F - 82 F range. If you like, I would love to recommend Cardinal/Neon Tetras or gouramis as alternative additions to your tank. Gouramis like to live in a mature tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Fish can adjust to varying temperatures, it mainly depends on if they are tank raised or wild caught

Your stocking looks good to me MS, you could even add a few more otos is you wish
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

ďIf there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they wentĒ - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

0 Not allowed!
    Well about 12 days in to having the Otos Iím down to 3. The one that just kicked the bucket was very very fat. I always read that a fat oto was a happy oto but apparently that didnít apply in this case. The other that I lost appeared to of had Ich a couple of days in. I began treating with paraguard from day one. On day 4 or 5 no more spots and they havenít come back at all but a couple of days ago that one kicked the bucket. The other 3 are doing well with no signs of illness. Assuming that those 3 make it do you think 3 is enough for a 38 gallon for moderate algae control and to be happy? They seem to like to hang out mid level or above on plants or the walls most of the time my guess is that the bottom of the tank will still be open enough for 5-6 Cory.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mspringer View Post
    Well about 12 days in to having the Otos I’m down to 3. The one that just kicked the bucket was very very fat. I always read that a fat oto was a happy oto but apparently that didn’t apply in this case. The other that I lost appeared to of had Ich a couple of days in. I began treating with paraguard from day one. On day 4 or 5 no more spots and they haven’t come back at all but a couple of days ago that one kicked the bucket. The other 3 are doing well with no signs of illness. Assuming that those 3 make it do you think 3 is enough for a 38 gallon for moderate algae control and to be happy? They seem to like to hang out mid level or above on plants or the walls most of the time my guess is that the bottom of the tank will still be open enough for 5-6 Cory.
    I have also read that Otos are prone to starving to death during shopping and being at the fish store and that even if they make it to your house and get fat that sometimes the BB in their gut has been depleated to the point that they can’t survive...guessing that’s a possibility too? I’m reading only about a 50% survival rate to one month but once you get past that point they are likely to live many happy years?
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Also of the three that are left all seem to have a little damage to their tail fins. Not sure if itís fine or or if the danios(they live there)that are in the QT are nipping then when Iím not there to see. Also one seems to breeth much more rapidly than the others for some reason. Seems like I donít have much luck with catfish. I can keep rasboras barbs serape or any other mid to top dwelling. Fish without issues but any cats I keep seem to have this sort of issue. Was really hoping these Otos would work out because I love how useful they are and how they look when they clean and swim around...
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Give it time, let them adapt and acclimate to the tank...no need for meds, just fresh clean water for the time being, keep diligent on those WC's, if you can only do 1 every week or so, make it a big one, and treat with a little extra Prime

I've never seen a store-bought "fat" oto, it may have had an illness, disease, or parasite....which I'm no expert with any of

Steady as she goes, wait and watch
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

ďIf there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they wentĒ - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Give it time, let them adapt and acclimate to the tank...no need for meds, just fresh clean water for the time being, keep diligent on those WC's, if you can only do 1 every week or so, make it a big one, and treat with a little extra Prime

I've never seen a store-bought "fat" oto, it may have had an illness, disease, or parasite....which I'm no expert with any of

Steady as she goes, wait and watch
    It wasn’t fat when I got it it got fat over the course of 10 days or whatever it was that I had it which initially I was thinking was a good thing but then...not the case.
    ~Pray for Henry~