· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

virgowithanego is offline Junior Member Great white shark (admin)LoachQueenA darn nice guySiamese Fighting FishThe Berserker SushiKiller WhaleAdminPlecoStarfishCharacidiumTrident SharkCatfishEsox LucieusJack DempseyBarramundiDwarf PufferConvict

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Every fish died but the one with neon tetra disease

0 Not allowed!
    I did SO MUCH research before getting these babies. So heartbroken to have lost 12/13 fish. This is my second time keeping fish-- the first was a goldfish who lived very happy and healthy.

-13 fish in a 15-gallon tank: 6 neon tetras, 5 endler livebearers, and 2 sparkling gouramis.
    -aquarium is heavily planted with floating plants
    -temp set to 78 F, which is acceptable for all 3 species (NT: 70-81, SP: 75-85, EL: 71.5-80.5)
    -slow-moving sponge filter

I cycled the tank on its own for several weeks, added 3 endler livebearers, cycled it a few more weeks, and got the rest of my fish. They began to die off one by one. I tested for ammonia and pH and saw that the pH was a little above 7 at 7.3. My goldfish was able to withstand this level, but I wonder if these little fish are more sensitive.

then I realized one tetra had an extremely bloated belly after eating (tumor like bulge in the belly) and was swimming so fast that it prevented the other fish from eating. I began putting my fish in my traveling tank just for feeding. After some research, I worried the super-fast fish had neon tetra disease. I isolated it in the traveling tank for over a week and it seemed to heal-- its behavior returned back to normal (no more fast swimming, bloated belly, erratic movements) so I put him back in the tank with the others.

Weeks later, all of the fish have died except the fast-swimming one that i now believe might still have neon tetra disease. I am beginning to think the problem may not have been pH levels but this disease. Are other species capable of catching it ? and why would the original sick tetra remain the only one living ? I am afraid to get more fish in case he is still sick but I don't know how to determine if he is. I didn't think the disease was curable yet he seems fine once again.

Very confused. Seeking advice. thanks for reading!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    NTD is a rare and lethal disease that affects allmost al kind of fish.

The fast swimmer (not a sigm of NTD) would have been dead as first one and the complete stock would be next.

So I am.pretty sure it isn't NTD what your fish were facing.
    No Cory, No Glory !!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I have green neon tetras, endlers and sparkling gouramis in PH of 7.5 so I don't believe PH is your problem. Many fish adapt to wide PH ranges and it's better not to mess with what you have. Keeping it stable is more important.

When you said you were putting your fish in another tank for feeding, were you moving them every day back and forth? Not sure I understand what you mean.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    In Mbuna Cichlids, bloating is because of a wrong diet. Did you feed the fish correct diets?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cichlid Keeper View Post
    In Mbuna Cichlids, bloating is because of a wrong diet. Did you feed the fish correct diets?
    Cichlids have nothing to do with the original post, please stay on topic if you have useful advice/experience.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I am battling through what looks like NTD as well. Do your fishes have loss of coloration esp the reds on the neons? Another symptom was bulge on the body and tail. I had seen some white color bulge on the tail leading to the tail fin.