· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Redoing 20g tall tank, help and advice

0 Not allowed!
    I will be redoing my 20g tank to a high tech planted tank. I want to add CO2, plant substrate and all that fun stuff. I will list everything below and I want to hear any criticism and need a little help.

Tank: 20g tall
    Filter: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JYEFFEO...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    I think it might be a bit overkill for a 20g but I chose it because of the spray bar and I didn't want to see the HOB filter intake.
    Light: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LFF07BU...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    Any suggestions on what light I should use? I found this one because of the high watts it has.
    Substrate: https://www.amazon.com/CaribSea-Eco-...042nst800sr-20
    Substrate I wasn't too sure on what to use. I read that I should have a separate substrate beneath this one with high levels of iron, etc. What should I use for the levels and change the substrate? Also, do I need to top it off with something like sand for the plants I chose? Should I also add root tabs beneath any of the plants with your selected choice of substrate?
    Ferts: For ferts I went with a simple bottle of seachem flourish. Is there a different bottle(s) you recommend? Along with root tabs (if necessary?)
    CO2: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W6DXXXR...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    This took me a long time to find one I can use, and in my price range as well. I was thinking about the DIY kit with plastic bottles but didn't think it would last very long, and I needed a timer. I also didn't feel too comfortable with the plastic bottles holding up, especially it next to my bed. I chose this kit for the solenoid valve and because It will be a bit harder to blow up lol. (I also picked out a CO2 drop checker)
    Plants:
    Dwarf Hairgrass
    Isoetes Japonica
    Ludwigia Natans Super Red
    Myriophyllum Aquaticum (Parrots Feather)
    Bucephalandra Black Pearl
    Lagenandra Meeboldii 'Red'
    Rotala Rotundifolia Red
    Ludwigia Repens
    Echinodorus Ozelot
    I found all these plants on BucePlant

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Try a sandy substrate. It depends on the plants according to light. Some prefer dim, others prefer full sun etc. I can research the plants if you like. I know that only a few plant species should be used in an aquarium, preferably two.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Had a problem with posting.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cichlid Keeper View Post
    Try a sandy substrate. It depends on the plants according to light. Some prefer dim, others prefer full sun etc. I can research the plants if you like. I know that only a few plant species should be used in an aquarium, preferably two.
    I have to disagree with this. Some of the most beautiful aquascapes have several species which vary in size, color and texture. Not sure where you got this information.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    All of my tanks are low-med light with easier, slower growing plants so I can't help with the technical stuff like CO2 and lighting. But I don't think you really need to layer any other substrates. Many people do, using organic soil capped with something else and this can often get messy. I like the Caribsea products like Eco complete and the Super Naturals sand or Instant Aquarium and have used more than one of these products. They're a little pricier than some other options, but I like them a lot. I've also used Buce Plants and found them easy to deal with and their products pretty good. They did a great job picking out some dragon stone for me. I did have issues with my Buce melting but that can be a common issue with buce plants from anywhere. You may find that some plants thrive better than others, but that's to be expected. Sometimes it's trial and error until you find what works in your setup with your water and equipment. Enjoy the journey.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I found it in a book (It is outdated by something like 20 or more years). I'm guessing that some species have different water likes. I can make a few more guesses based on the book: A few species of plants won't like each other. Depending on the species.