· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Oscars with other fish?

0 Not allowed!
    Wondering if large African Cichlids (typically over 5 inches) are gonna fit in with these giant Oscars (don't have any). I have a 55 gallon tank with 5 African Cichlids that are gonna be 5 inches or bigger. I also have a Black Kuhli Loach and Dwarf Plecostomus, which are probably gonna have to be removed.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Kuhli loaches are social. If you aren't planning on getting more then rehome her/him. Oscars need a tank bigger than 55 gallons. At least a 75 for an Oscar. They really are a one fish/tank deal.
    5.5g- Shrimp tanks
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    5g Salty Tank
    Fish room-*pending*

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room
    Salty Tank

DebinWhitmore

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Is there a small variety, or are they all one foot in length? I'm also looking at firemouths and Angelfish For Mbuna Tank mates.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Watch this video - Oscars are South American, grow pretty fast and will certainly not be a good fit for your 55g with 5 Africans. If you also check the comments for the video, the people who mention their tank sizes have 90g tanks and above, with most over 120g.

Here's another one:

Last edited by SueD; 11-27-2019 at 03:30 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Never thought I might have a problem with other fish attacking the Oscars!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I might want to try it; if the other fish that aren't going be eaten are going to attack the Oscar, then I will get one small variety and hope it doesn't outgrow my 55 gallon. If it doesn't do that, It will be about 11 inches or slightly smaller. If it happens to get too big to turn around, (Unfortunately I do not have any other tanks that will be good sizes) I will sell it back to a store and try another one.. I like to go by the rule one inch of fish per gallon and that the fish must be able to turn around. Is that a good plan, or is it too risky? I think I might need to remove my small algae eaters: Black Kuhli Loach and Dwarf Pleco first before I add any Oscars. The person who did the video keeps some rather small fish with Oscars in that tank, but 90 gallons? I think I will try it this once... but only unless it's a total no! I know someone who will keep four Oscars in a 55 gallon tank without question, but that's using the one inch of fish per gallon rule.
    Last edited by The Cichlid Keeper; 12-04-2019 at 02:15 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I hope it doesn't turn into an eating machine.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    There is no inch per gallon rule. Tanks are stocked based on they type of fish, if the fish cannot move in the tank (because a 55 is only 13 wide) then its not right o keep them in that tank. Stocking involves the type of fish too, you can put 120+ ember tetras in a 55 gallon tank, at 0.8" thats 96 inches of fish in a 55 gallon, but you can also put more fish in that tank based on the other fish (i.e other small tetras), the filtration, and if the tank is/how heavily its planted. So many other factors play into stocking a tank, the inch per gallon rule is a fallacy.

Also the Kuhlis are social, you should really think about rehoming it or getting it 5+ friends. Also they aren't algae eaters, they are more carnivores than omnivores. What type of "dwarf" pleco do you have? Many times they are also not algae eaters but eat wood and can even be carnivores or omnivores and need a bigger variety than just algae.
    5.5g- Shrimp tanks
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    5g Salty Tank
    Fish room-*pending*

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room
    Salty Tank

DebinWhitmore

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I am not sure about the plecostomus. It's white, and the first time I looked at pictures of Plecos, The more and more he/she seems like a hybrid. It is common to keep Loracariids without identifying the species. Sad. Something like an albino Longfin Bushymouth Pleco, though it does not have the long fins. Using your rules, how many African Cichlids can I keep in my tank? I would like to have some more instruction on what rules to use for stocking aquariums. I have always used the inch per gallon rule. I can now see that my fish need to be able to turn around. If you like, I can attempt to get a picture of my Pleco. It will be difficult. Still want to stock a ten inch Oscar after I get a few African Cichlids in there including, maybe Calvus Cichlids. Totally aware of the hardness incompatibility of Jewel Cichlids, Mbuna Cichlids, Oscar Cichlids, Calvus Cichlids, Black Kuhli Loaches, Not sure on the species of Pleco I have. Also diet incompatibility as well.
    Last edited by The Cichlid Keeper; 12-06-2019 at 03:53 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I am not familiar with cichlids so would not be able to help you with stocking as I don't know about how they feed, and digest (waste production). Your best site for researching fish is www.seriouslyfish.com. There you can find information such as size, behavior, feeding, compatibility and minimum tank size/grouping. Also cichlids can be varied in diet as well, some will be able to go in planted tanks (plants absorb nitrates).

Stocking aquariums is based on the factors I talked about above:

1: the size of the fish when grown; the tank needs to be able to handle the activity level of the fish and/or its need for tank mates. A rummynose needs a school and room to dither, a denison barb also needs the same but the rummynose (school) can go in a 55, where the denision (school) would need something over 100 gallons.

2: the diet/digestion of the fish (fish bioload); a betta is a dainty eater and can be safely housed in a 5-10 gallon tank with a simple sponge filter. They do need clean water but (if not too ornate) can handle water quality that is good versus pristine. A pea puffer is a voracious eater-one that produces a lot of waste and quickly fouls its water so a tank of 10-preferably 15 gallons with an internal of HOB filter is a better choice. Additionally puffers need great to pristine water quality so the bigger tank and higher filtration help to ensure that.

Plecos are also fish with a large bioload. Their digestion is linear-what goes in quickly comes out. Feed them red peppers (depending on the variety) and they will poo red pepper, this also means they need to eat more often because their digestion isn't as efficient. Also very few plecos eat only algae. Many are omnivores and eat plant and (fish/insect based) protein. I have a bushynose (ancistrus) albino that goes after peppers, sweet potatoes and cooked shrimp with the same enthusiasm as "algae" wafers. I have other ancistrus that prefer protein rich food to plant based, I also have three panaqolus maccus which are primarily cellulose eaters and with rasp a piece of driftwood, and I have two H.
    subdivides3: Planted tank versus not. Plants will help to absorb nitrates so healthy planted tanks can be stocked a bit more than the same tank without plants.

4: Filtration; The better filtration your tank has, the more fish you can stock in it (to a point). A 55 gallon with one HOB will hold less fish than a 55 with two HOB; and that tank will hold less than a 55 with a good canister filter.

You can play with this by going to www.aqadvisor.com, just keep in mind that this site as well as my advice is just that, advice. There is no rule set in stone when keeping fish. Lots of variables come into play which is why the most important thing to do before stocking any tank is research, lots and lots of research.
    5.5g- Shrimp tanks
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    5g Salty Tank
    Fish room-*pending*

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room
    Salty Tank

DebinWhitmore