· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Help with shrimp tank

0 Not allowed!
    Hi guys, I'm new to shrimp keeping.

Recently set up my planted tank and cycled it for about a week, tested to see if everything is ok, did a 50% water change before ackimating and putting in the shrimps,. These shrimps were from a worm infested tank with no substrate. Had worms might be because of bacter ae and also my wife and daughter overfeeding.. I cleared the worms by filtering them out over organic no bleach tissue. 1 week into the new tank, they started dying.. on closer inspection the shrimplets innards are pinkish, can't really see on the adult shrimps. I read on google that it's a bacterial infection of micrococci and when I see pink, it's probably far too gone to help with treatment.. Hope someone can shed some light as to what is happening with them and possible cures or its something I didn't do right. Substrate is Gex shrimp and plants.

My water parameters

Ammonia 0

Nitrate 0

Nitrite 5.0ppm

Ph 6.6

Attached photos of my tank and the worms which I cleared. Googled the worms and it seems like detritus worms. Roast me for not keeping the hatchery properly.. I'm sorry..

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC.

How did you cycle the tank?....if you are showing nitrItes, the tank is not cycled, unfortunately. A cycled tank will have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrItes, and some nitrAtes.

What kind of test kit do you have?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I'm using API freshwater master test kit.

Sorry typo I've got nitrate at 5.0ppm.
    Nitrite is at 0ppm.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    How did you cycle the tank? Did you use seeded media from another established tank?

One week is usually not long enough to cycle a tank, unless you used seeded media.

Which water conditioner do you use? Do you know the ph and hardness of your source water?

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Added old water from another tank, put in an old sponge where the shrimps were resting on. PH from tap was 8.4. Used API PH down to make it about 6.8 initially. As for water conditioner, its was as no name brand from my betta seller, and had been using it for about 6 months with my betta and guppies without any problems. My betta had been making bubble nest since I used PH down.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    When you run out of that conditioner, get yourself some Seachem Prime, best stuff out there, IMO

Fluctuating ph will cause problems if you are not careful, personally I never mess with trying to change ph...your shrimp would probably do fine with your tap ph

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ic. I will try seachem prime soon. It'll be probably a year if I were to continue using the unknown conditioner. As for PH, I gradually decreased it by .2 each time. Betta has been making bubble nest 2 months ago, and guppies seems fine. Seems like they are more hardy than shrimps. But the pink innards of the shrimps, are they and issue?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Shrimp usually turn pink after they have died, not real sure what you have going on there...the detritus worms probably have nothing to do with it, they're a nuisance, but harmless....what kind of shrimp are they, and where did you get them from?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    They are cherry shrimps. Neo varieties, from 2 different lfs.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Their coloring is off, they should be red to bright red....they've faded in color since you bought them?