· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Is my Bamboo Shrimp eating enough?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all - I found a bamboo shrimp at Petco and decided to bring it home. I have a 10g with excellent water parameters. There's an internal Aqueon Quietflow filter. Tank mates are 5 Panda Corys, 2 Bumblebee Gobys and 2 ghost shrimp. The first day he was scrounging through the substrate non-stop and I added a nano wave maker – it makes a lot of flow and the plant leaves are swaying no stop. Now he perches upside on one of the big Anubis leaves for hours. I still catch it foraging here and there but nothing like the first day. He'll sit on a piece of cholla wood for a while and pick, then move to another spot and pick a bit. When I feed my fish I turn off the filter and wave maker for about 10 min because I use a turkey baster to fed the Bumblebees and now with the wave maker all of the food the Corys usually get blows all over so I have to turn it off so they can eat. I use the baster to sot feed the Bamboo. I have been using shrimp powder that I feed my dwarf shrimp (separate) tank and last night I even mashed up the frozen brine shrimp I give the Bumblebees and the Bamboo definitely caught some on his fans and ate them. Is doing this once a night enough for it? I don’t want it to be starving. I also worry my water is too clean for it and it will have nothing to filter. The water is crystal clear and free of algae save for some diatoms on the plant leaves. I have one very large, tall Anubis and two smaller Anubis and two Marimo moss balls. It’s been running for almost 2 years now. The substrate is sand and I do weekly 25% water changes. Am I taking proper care of this shrimp? I’m still new and want to make sure it’s ok.

thanks!!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Bamboo shrimp should not forage, that usually indicates there is not enough nutrients in the water column to sustain them.

They constantly filter feed, and if the water column is too "clean", they may starve to death....they need constant flow, as well
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I have constant water flow - save for 5 minutes each night when I feed the other fish. If the water is too clean what can I do so he's getting enough to eat?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Nightly feeding with the baster will help...they really belong in a heavily planted, well established tank.

Is this the only tank you have?...it's a bit small for a bamboo shrimp

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    It is heavily planted - half of the tank is covered in Anubis and is established almost 2 years (21 months). I didn't realize a 10 gallon was too small. I did some research and everything I read said 10 gallons is fine. I have a smaller 6 gallon dwarf shrimp tank with no flow so I can't move him there. He doesn't forage much that I can see and is on the underside of one of the plant leaves for hours filtering. Is he getting food even though I can't see it on the fans?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Probably getting bits of stuff the corys stir up...if he/she has settled into a certain spot and continues to filter feed, it may do just fine

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Does anyone know how often I should target feed?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    What filter is on the tank?

How about posting a pic of the tank?

I've had many bamboo shrimp, and I have found that once they settle in to a particular spot, they are getting comfortable with the tank, so long as they filter feed most of the time (filter appendages out)....if that is what you see, you may not need to spot feed the bamboo

How often, and how much do you feed the rest of the tank?...are all of your water params good?
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 11-19-2019 at 11:00 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    That makes me feel better. I have an Aqueon Quiet Flow 10 - water parameters are perfect - other fish are fed once a day at night, usually frozen brine shrimp or frozen blood worms which I target feed the bumblebees. Sometimes I give the Corys bottom feeder shrimp or algae wafers. Here is the tank the night before I added the nano wave maker.tank2.jpgtank1.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by scteel24 View Post
    That makes me feel better. I have an Aqueon Quiet Flow 10 - water parameters are perfect - other fish are fed once a day at night, usually frozen brine shrimp or frozen blood worms which I target feed the bumblebees. Sometimes I give the Corys bottom feeder shrimp or algae wafers. Here is the tank the night before I added the nano wave maker.tank2.jpgtank1.jpg
    Nice little tank..is this your first?

What test kit do you use to check your params?

You could upgrade your filter and maybe not even need the wavemaker, if it seems to affect the other fish in a negative way, and still have enough flow in the tank for the bamboo...if it seems to settle into one place most of the time...they move around to find the best "feeding" spot, then usually stay (around) there.

I have a filter rated for 30G on my 10G tank, I always recommend overfiltering in FW tanks...fits the same space, and provides more filtration