· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

Default Loviní Gold Barbs

1 Not allowed!
    Hello all, got 9 gold barbs a while back and got them into the main tank(38 gallon long) a couple of weeks ago. Thus far I am thoroughly enjoying these. Good color good character and they get along wonderfully with the 6 rasbora that are in the tank. I soood recommend them to anyone. Not the fun nippers most barbs are.

I do have a question tho. Turns out one of the 9 ďgold barbsĒ isnít actually angoldmbarb Iím 99.9^ sure itís a red glass barb. Gold in color, black spot near the tail, reddish colored fins, but a clear abdomen area and a different shape. Much taller not the barrel shape of the gold barbs.

Not sure how I didnít notice this at the pet store but it didnt take long after having it home for me to notice that it was a different size and shape and didnít seem to really shoal up with the others. LFS is gonna refund my money on tni just have to get it there. That brings me to this question. Should I get 1 more gold barb to have 9 of them or would it be hard for one lone soldier to join the clan at this point after 6 weeks or so of them establishing their ranks?

Iíll post some pics of I get the chance.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I’d love to correct my typos in the first post but it won’t let me...try to read through my idiocracy...ha!
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Nice to see these are working out for you. Having mostly tetras, I've long wanted to try one of the more peaceful barbs in my 40B. Gold barbs were one I read about along with the Odessa barb. I may still try one of these someday. Which rasboras are yours housed with?

It is also not uncommon for a LFS to get some "by-catch" in with an order. This happened to me with some dwarf pencilfish. Instead of 7 pencilfish, I got 5 and 2 Copella callolspis. I kept the 2 odd balls as they were too hard to catch and just added more pencils later. If you add another barb, I think he'll be able to join the original group without any problems.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Not sure how hard it would be for the one to group with the others. Its up to you as 8 is a good number. If you were able to get 3 or 4 more that way the newbies would have a small group in case the other 8 were being clique-ish.

I had gold barbs years ago and they are such peaceful and active fish-beautiful coloring as well. Mine were a golden yellow with red at the dorsal and caudal fin and black smudging along the sides. Mine got pretty big too, about over 3, close to 4 inches.

I am looking forward to getting some to go in my 75 with the Dojo Loaches. Just need to get them bigger otherwise I think the loaches may snack on them-the bottomless pits they are.
    5.5g- Shrimp tanks
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    5g Salty Tank
    Fish room-*pending*

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room
    Salty Tank

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    Nice to see these are working out for you. Having mostly tetras, I've long wanted to try one of the more peaceful barbs in my 40B. Gold barbs were one I read about along with the Odessa barb. I may still try one of these someday. Which rasboras are yours housed with?

It is also not uncommon for a LFS to get some "by-catch" in with an order. This happened to me with some dwarf pencilfish. Instead of 7 pencilfish, I got 5 and 2 Copella callolspis. I kept the 2 odd balls as they were too hard to catch and just added more pencils later. If you add another barb, I think he'll be able to join the original group without any problems.
    The rasbora are harlequins and I very much love them. The longer they are in the tank the more colorful they are. At this point the males are a very deep red.

I notice when the lights are dimmer the red glass barb seems to school up with the golds it’s almost like they are close enough in color and species that when the lights are dim they don’t know the difference
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Not sure how hard it would be for the one to group with the others. Its up to you as 8 is a good number. If you were able to get 3 or 4 more that way the newbies would have a small group in case the other 8 were being clique-ish.

I had gold barbs years ago and they are such peaceful and active fish-beautiful coloring as well. Mine were a golden yellow with red at the dorsal and caudal fin and black smudging along the sides. Mine got pretty big too, about over 3, close to 4 inches.

I am looking forward to getting some to go in my 75 with the Dojo Loaches. Just need to get them bigger otherwise I think the loaches may snack on them-the bottomless pits they are.

Very cool! So you think 8 will be fine and just leave as is? Or attempt one more? I’m not really interested in getting more than 9.

I actually look forward to then getting bigger!
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Eight should be fine. I just ordered 10 from live aquaria.
    5.5g- Shrimp tanks
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    5g Salty Tank
    Fish room-*pending*

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room
    Salty Tank

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Think the different one is a female P.conchonius instead of semifasciolatus.

I'd bring it back if possible.
    No Cory, No Glory !!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDutch View Post
    Think the different one is a female P.conchonius instead of semifasciolatus.

I'd bring it back if possible.
    That is my plan, only debate is if I should get one more golden barb or just suck with 8.
    ~Pray for Henry~