· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

Default Expert gardeners here -- what should I do?

0 Not allowed!
    My Fall bulbs FINALLY arrived, yesterday. Way, way too late! I ordered them at my usual time back in August but the growers have had extreme difficulties getting them to the nursery, who in turn had excessive delays getting them to me. I'm not blaming the nursery, nor the growers. They can't control the weather.

My problem now is, the ground has frozen and I can't plant these this Fall.

How do I store them, and keep them viable, so I can plant them NEXT Fall? I can't plant them in Spring, as they are Fall bulbs. They were never intended to be planted in Spring.

Tulips, Daffodils, Cyclamen and some lavender mountain lilies.

These are new bulbs.

Any suggestions, or should I just give them to someone who lives in a warmer climate?
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I am not a gardener... But just brainstorming here. Maybe contact the nursery you got them from or another one near you and ask them for advice. Or, plant them in pots and keep in a cool space like a basement or garage. Then transplant in the spring.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Both sound like great ideas.
    5.5g- Shrimp tanks
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    5g Salty Tank
    Fish room-*pending*

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room
    Salty Tank

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

3 Not allowed!
    Update: We have had a couple of really warm days, and the ground has thawed out. I waited one day, because the soil was still too soggy, but now it's workable -- so, I was able to plant all of my bulbs, after all. It should be interesting to see what comes up next Spring.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwannabe View Post
    Update: We have had a couple of really warm days, and the ground has thawed out. I waited one day, because the soil was still too soggy, but now it's workable -- so, I was able to plant all of my bulbs, after all. It should be interesting to see what comes up next Spring.
    Hope you'll share this spring awaking with us.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    You know I like to share the beauty.

Ancient is offline Junior Member Great white shark (admin)LoachQueenA darn nice guySiamese Fighting FishThe Berserker SushiKiller WhaleAdminPlecoStarfishCharacidiumTrident SharkCatfishEsox LucieusJack DempseyBarramundiDwarf PufferConvict

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwannabe View Post
    You know I like to share the beauty.
    So any results? Any pics? I'm asking because it gets cold in my area and I need some tips on how to keep plants alive for winter. I'm currently reading this page and I guess I need a ph soil tester now. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    If you have plants that are hardy for your cold zone, that's the first thing you need to keep them alive over winter.

The main thing that kills new plantings in winter, even the zone hardy ones, is frost heave. That's when the ground freezes, then thaws, then freezes and thaws again. New plants that haven't established deep root systems will heave out of the ground from contraction and expansion.

The way to help prevent that is to apply a thick mulch when the ground first freezes. I use straw -- laying down a layer of it around the new plants, about 1 1/2" to 2" thick. That can be tricky, though, because if the mulch is too thick, it can choke the plants. It should never be applied right up to the base of the plant, but kept away from it a couple inches or so. The idea is to mulch around the plants, not up against them.

I prefer straw, but one can also mulch with layers of old leaves, pine needles or wood chips. These latter can develop fungus beneath them, so there's a downside to using them.

When new growth appears in Spring, and all danger of frost has passed, it's important to remove the mulching materials as soon as possible, so that sunlight can reach down into the newly growing roots.

I soil pH tester is a good idea. Some plants prefer a more acidic soil, others more alkaline, and others more neutral.

The Fall bulbs I've just planted won't bloom until next Spring, so no pictures possible of them, right now.