· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Question Sexing and Breeding Hypancistrus sp. L066 King Tiger Pleco

1 Not allowed!
    I've had a couple Hypancistrus sp. L066 King Tiger Plecos for quite some time now and I'm trying to sex and possibly breed two of them. I bought them in the beginning of the year 2018 and they were probably hatched in December of 2017 so two years almost.

IMG-20191023-202430-7-CS.jpg
    This one I suspect is a male, the darker color, the thinner body all leads me to believe it's a male, it's about 77mm

IMG-20191023-202220-15-CS.jpg
    And this one I suspect is a female, hence it's more thicker body and more vibrant colors, this one's about 78mm

IMG-20191023-202251-19-CS.jpg
    Here's both of them together, with suspected female on the left and suspected male on the right.

Am I right with these assumptions? And when should I start trying to breed them if my thoughts are correct?
    I still think they're a bit young but I'm not an expert.
    Last edited by MrDankYT; 10-24-2019 at 08:59 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Males usually have odontodes, hairy projections around the sides of the head and on the pectoral fins. Not sure what the maturity rate is for them, but at 2 years I would think one or the other would have some development already if a male.

This site has a lot of great info on catfish;
    https://www.planetcatfish.com/common...species_id=174
    5.5g- Shrimp tanks
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    5g Salty Tank
    Fish room-*pending*

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room
    Salty Tank

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    They're slow to mature, may actually be a couple more years before they'll breed.

^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks...^^^

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for your replies, and I do know about odontodes and I couldn't tell anything from them, and about when they mature I also wasn't sure, some sites said they grow to 9cm but others 12, I'm really not sure.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    What would be the best way to make them grow faster? To speed up their motabolism? My thoughts are warmer water and more and better food, to have them together by themselves in a barebottom 30 gallon tank so i can feed them often and still have the tank real clean

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

2 Not allowed!
    Patience, and let them grow out normally. If you want something to breed faster get some Ancistrus. They typically mature about 8 months after hatching.

^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks...^^^

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Agree, you don't want to rush them. It stresses them out in a different way. Slow and steady is best for the fish and their future offspring.
    5.5g- Shrimp tanks
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    5g Salty Tank
    Fish room-*pending*

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room
    Salty Tank

DebinWhitmore

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I don't mean it like that, just like move them to a different but same sized tank which will suit more of their preferences, for example warmer water and better cave systems

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    You should follow what the pleco needs in the wild; so yes warmer waters and more (aquatic) protein rich foods. This will provide them optimal growing conditions. Going bare bottom is your choice. I find sand is easy to clean as well.
    5.5g- Shrimp tanks
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    5g Salty Tank
    Fish room-*pending*

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room
    Salty Tank

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Oooh, I love them!!!! I used to have a pair of l002 tiger plecos, the female has a slightly rounder belly. I never saw any babies, but they used to chill all day together in an artificial log at the back of my 120g. Later they started sucking the angels' slime coat, so I had to rehome them, but they were so nice to have. Here's a pic of my pair when I got them out of the tank. Lol, I just had to pick up the artificial log and plop them into a bucket. That's why it's a bit dirty (Sorry)
    20190211_143214.jpg

So I'm not sure if yours are male/female, but it looks like maybe they are :) Do keep us updated with your breeding project!
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat