· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Good plan, just keep an eye on params, WC's if ammonia gets too high (<.25 ppm)
    ya so i got a blue dwarf gourami and 3 more danio. 1 danio is quite large and the other 2 are very small. The gouarmai looks just amazing and has shown no aggression. They are all floating in the bag right now. Also i found German blue rams, and i am sold on them. going to wait till i have a good cycle and then im going to swap the danios for another schooling fish and add the rams. anyway i can get away with 3 rams? Also can i get a school of cherry barbs? just saw them at the store and they look great.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    The danios and the barbs are very active fish, and do best in a longer tank, with plenty of room for end-to-end swimming, which a 20H may not be ideal for that type of activity

I've never kept rams, hopefully someone here with experience will advise
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ok so tested the water this morning. 0 - 0.25 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate. haven't done a water change yet as the ammonia hasn't really spiked yet.
    I noticed that my aquaclear 20 filter is missing the media basket, which from my understanding is what forces the water under and through the media.
    So I'm likely going to buy a whole new aqua clear filter as no one sells just the basket. and the other topfin filter uses cardtriges which i dont use. I just stuffed with sponge and bio rings for an aquaclear.
    I'm leaning towards cardinal tetras if the cherry barbs wont work. The danio I'm just using to cycle and will be returned to the lfs as they prefer cooler water anyway. swaping them out later on for probabably a large school of 10-12 and not get any live bearers.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    You can buy just the media basket, but it's kind of pricey, IMO

https://www.amazon.com/AquaClear-Med.../dp/B004PBCTI6

If you were to buy a whole new filter, I'd get an AC30, they're easier to work with IMO, and it would give you better circulation in that tank, and room for more media

No LB's is a pretty good idea for your first tank, they breed like crazy, and could fill a tank that size very quickly

What kind of test kit do you have?

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ya, I saw the media basket but I live in canada so it would cost about the same to buy that and ship it here than it would to just buy the whole filter.
    I would get a aquaclear 30 or even 50 but since im also running the top fin 20 it would be too much water current as i already turned the flow on both filter to min as the gourami was having trouble with the current. I have had multiple small tanks when I was younger so I do have experience, just rusty. I decided against LBs because I think it would look better if I just got a larger school instead. I assumed that the rams and gourami would feast on the fry and control population if I were to get them. Using the api master test kit.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Also forgot to say I made a DIY media basket out of a plastic bottle. I cutt a sheet of plastic to fit into the side of the media case and drilled holes in the bottom so the water would be forced to flow down. Its far from perfect so I'm just gonna get a new ac20 and I'll have lots of spare parts.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Good job on the DIY, and always nice to have spare parts.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ok so got the new filter and got it set-up. tested again and everything was 0. How long should it take to see some readings? is my bio load still not large enough?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    tested again this morning,
    ammonia was 0.25
    no nitrites or nitrates
    added some prime for the ammonia and will do a water change if ammonia reaches 0.5
    Can I add a school of cardinals now to increase the load or would they not make it? if no cardinals should i get more danio?
    I could add a little bit more established filter media from my brothers tank if need be.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Remind how it is stocked presently?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast