· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Tank Quality Concerns / 125g Ideas

0 Not allowed!
    Hello! I am somewhat of a newbie. Awhile back I had a 36g planted tank with 6 green tiger barbs along with a few nerite snails and that is the extent of my knowledge. I know all of the basics of cycling, water testing, diseases and isolation tanks. ETC.

So! My boyfriend and I have owned our house for 3 years now and are finally deciding to pull the trigger and start another tank now that we have better schedules and space! We are going to be getting a 125gal most likely.

He has a big concern that I never dealt with, and that is potential leaking of tanks. My question is are there any tank manufacturers that are preferred over others? ie. should we not purchase something from PetSmart, because that's where we were looking. My idea is maybe we can add extra acrylic to the tank seams to add extra security for us, is that possible?

This time around I am not doing a planted tank, except for maybe a few very hardy ones. I don't want to do all of the different types of liquid plant food and all that jazz, we would like it to be more simple but I probably will still use the Ecocomplete subtrate below gravel and have good quality lights. We went looking at fish today and he really likes the black angelfish but I know angels can be aggressive and we are interested in maybe having 2-3 different types of fish that would get along with shrimp (he *really* wants shrimp so we are making a list surrounding those guys.) What fish are active yet docile enough to be housed with shrimp? The tank will definitely have lots of hiding places. I enjoy tanks with large swimming area, but with hidden pvc tunnels and heavy plants in some areas.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    With a tank this large, I am also considering trying out saltwater... Our local aquarium we can buy RODI water from at $7 per 5gallons. Do you think with little knowledge it would be successful though? I would hate to fail, and feel freshwater is easier.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Hi there and welcome! A 120g tank.....that's so sweet! It was the first tank I bought as well, albeit I got that size because of my addiction to angelfish. I got the advice, go as big as you can, and I'm glad I did. Although in hindsight, 90g would have been ok. I find it much easier to change out 45g gallons at water change time over 60 (I do 50% WCs every 7-10 days). And a small angelfish school is ok in a 90g. But I guess overall the extra foot of length space is very helpful for territory and a 120g makes a nice impression.

So if you don't want to get too involved with ferts, you can even grow a lush tank without them using easy plants. For example my 90g tank, no ferts besides the odd root tab under the large root heavy plants.
    20190920_143102.jpg

I know you're looking for a basic setup though, and you can certainly keep it simple too, but if anything, I recommend some houseplants growing emersed and/or floating plants. Plants use up nitrates between WCs and help keep algae away. I also find a healthy planted tank has healthier fish. There's most likely a multitude of reasons that is. The plants I use are very easy low tech plants, just lots of them. But you could create a nice scape the way you plan with pipe for the shrimp to hide in and just a few plant bushes. I do recommend vallisneria at the least for a deep tank, it grows easily and as tall as the tank. No joke, my val leaves wrapped around the surface and were 5ft before I had to trim them.

Just a bit of info, so a lush planted high tech tank generally has less algae than a low tech one. This is because plants need co2 to create allopathic chemicals which inhibit the growth of algae. Underwater plants won't have access to very much co2 in a deep low tech tank. But say you have emersed or floating plants where the plant is still in the water but leaves have access to all the co2 in the atmosphere. They can still complete allopathy to impede the algae! Same effect!

Tip: I also like to plant big heavy rooting plants like Amazon sword or crinum in pots. I hide or bury the pots so you can't see them. I also dirt the pot because plants LoVe dirt! I can cap the top to hold down the dirt. It stays in the pot at the roots so the they can use up the nutrients. Then I add a few Osmocote+ granules every few months to recharge the dirt nutrients. Seriously easy peasy! They've been that way in another tank for 5 years now, same pots! My 120g
    20190830_225409.jpg

I have amano shrimp with my angels in my 90g, they leave the larger shrimp alone, but they'll decimate neocaridina shrimp. Some might make it, but I doubt you'd ever see them because they would hide in the pipe from the angels. They are just too predatory. Actually all fish except Otto cats will at least try to eat neo shrimp. Even a young black phantom tetra was swimming around with half a shrmp in its mouth one day in QT. But I was able to keep a healthy colony of RCS in a heavily planted (lots of hiding spots) 46g bow with a pair of rams. Idk if they were too involved breeding to care about all the shrimp, but they survived , reproduced and were even out (especially the larger females who looked like mini cooked lobsters haha!). When I swapped the ram pair for a pair of angels, they wiped out the whole colony in weeks. Alas, the larger females were the only ones left, then nothing. So although no fish except otos are 100% shrimp safe, it's up to the fish personality whether they will work with shrimp. I'd stick to smaller community fish and as much as I love angelfish, if you are set and focused on shrimp, I don't think it will work too well with neo type shrimp. If you want a cichlid, I would recommend Bolivian ram or kribensis to try. Kribs might be too good at hunting neos, I never had them with other fish, but I find rams aren't great at catching food. I recommended Bolivian ram cuz blue and gold rams need higher temps like 80-84f, too warm for the shrimp.

About the tanks leaking, maybe it's a legible concern, but I never worried about it. As long as the glass is thick enough for a large tank and silicone is intact, I don't worry. 5 tanks that I have in operation atm are second hand including my 90g that I got for 20$ including the metal stand. Don't want to jinx myself, but I've had some of them going for 7 or more years. Never an issue. I didn't see an issue with PetSmart tanks, I'm pretty sure a lot of mine are Hagen or Marineland tanks.

Someone else will have to talk to you about Saltwater, as I know nothing!
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Legible should be legitimate Typo!
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat