· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: At last!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

Default At last!

3 Not allowed!
    After many years of trying, I finally killed a mule deer with my longbow this morning. This is my first archery big game animal, and my first kill with a primitive bow.

WARNING WARNING WARNING

The following post contains pictures of a dead animal. If you are offended, traumatized, or otherwise all het up over such things, please save yourself the trouble. I'm not trying to start a fight or anything, just sharing a long-coming personal triumph!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

2 Not allowed!
    This is my first archery big game kill, and my first kill of any kind with a primitive bow. 27 yard shot with a black locust longbow and a home-made spruce/turkey feather arrow. Took him right through the heart and he went down fast. Tenderloins for supper at Badger Manor tonight!

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG951260.jpg
    Last edited by WhistlingBadger; 09-29-2019 at 07:54 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Healing vibes.  Read and rest your fingers! - RiversGirl   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! (USA) - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Never done big game with a bow.
    But have done wallaby rabit ducks and goats with bow.

And it's a thrill that's for sure.
    Thought about it for wild pigs.
    But always go for the knife and fight it man to animal first one down, me or it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    But always go for the knife and fight it man to animal first one down, me or it.
    Nah, if you're going to go that far, bare hands is the only way. ha ha

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Congrats, Thomas.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

2 Not allowed!
    No problem, here, since you intend to eat the meat. My only problem with hunting is trophy hunters who take antlers and leave the rest of the corpse to rot. If they aren't going to feed themselves or their families or friends with their kill, they shouldn't kill just for a souvenir. But you're okay. I know you aren't wasteful.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

0 Not allowed!
    Who took the photo with you in it holding the arrow? Was the camera set up on a tripod for a timer shot?
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwannabe View Post
    No problem, here, since you intend to eat the meat. My only problem with hunting is trophy hunters who take antlers and leave the rest of the corpse to rot. If they aren't going to feed themselves or their families or friends with their kill, they shouldn't kill just for a souvenir. But you're okay. I know you aren't wasteful.
    Yeah, I'm with you there. That kind of hunting is actually very unusual, and illegal in most places. Even safari hunters in Africa, who are after hides and horns (it being too expensive to ship meat home without it spoiling), donate the meat to local villagers. I guess some bear and predator hunters leave the meat, though all of my friends who hunt bears eat the meat too, and I can say it's delicious! The only antlered game hunters I know of who hunt the way you describe are poachers, and yeah, they tick me off too.

My wife happened to be nearby (weird story about that, which I might get around to telling later) so she snapped the photo for me.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    (also, I'm not sticking my arrow in the deer's eye, though he wouldn't have minded by this point. Just an unfortunate camera angle)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwannabe View Post
    No problem, here, since you intend to eat the meat. My only problem with hunting is trophy hunters who take antlers and leave the rest of the corpse to rot.
    That's called "waste of game" and as Tom pointed out is illegal and not all that common, despite what spin the news puts on things with the occasional sensational stories that come out of Africa. Waste of game and similar poaching crimes usually carry felony charges and most hunters don't want to risk picking up felonies because then they can't hunt or even possess firearms. Hunting is actually a pretty emotional thing for most hunters, and they don't take the harvest lightly. Tom probably spent a ridiculous amount of time throughout the year practicing with his bow and arrow to ensure a quick ethical kill with as little suffering as possible, which is worlds different than the mindless raising, abusing, and slaughtering of the millions of cows and poultry that feed the masses who give not a single thought on the life lost to fill their bellies.

Great harvest, Tom, and dang good shot! Right in the boiler. Impressive considering the setup you used. Beautiful animal. Does the Badgerling assist with processing the meat? Did you guys weigh it all out?