· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: At last!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sfsamm View Post
    I honestly couldn't tell you I shot three different compounds before I borrowed one that I ended up liking. Not a stance I am used to at all and I struggle with most of them because of weight. To hold them level without shaking, to much rifles over the years my left arm can't hang very well holding a bow up.

But I was threatened with replacement if I broke it on the horses so it must have been decent.
    Compounds can be a bit uncomfortable for smaller folks depending on the brand/models. A lot of regular compounds weigh in around 4.5-4.8lbs.
    After spending a good 2 hours one evening at Cabela's, my wife settled on a Diamond Edge SB-1. It was noticeably lighter than all the others that were available there for us to get our hands on, and when we watched all the online vids a common remark made by the reviewers was that it was so light. If you decide you want to give the bow hunting another shot next year, head over to an archery shop (or Cabela's, if you have one nearby) and check out the SB-1. Fully adjustable draw length/weight, and very lightweight. Plus it's only around $400, which is an incredible price compared to a lot of other compounds out there.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    Compounds can be a bit uncomfortable for smaller folks depending on the brand/models. A lot of regular compounds weigh in around 4.5-4.8lbs.
    After spending a good 2 hours one evening at Cabela's, my wife settled on a Diamond Edge SB-1. It was noticeably lighter than all the others that were available there for us to get our hands on, and when we watched all the online vids a common remark made by the reviewers was that it was so light. If you decide you want to give the bow hunting another shot next year, head over to an archery shop (or Cabela's, if you have one nearby) and check out the SB-1. Fully adjustable draw length/weight, and very lightweight. Plus it's only around $400, which is an incredible price compared to a lot of other compounds out there.
    That's awesome info to have, I'm not small at 5'10" just not used to the stance. But I am looking to go again and looking to buy one to practice with and get used to in the meantime so I totally love hearing what's worked for others that found weight to make a big difference. Thank you!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    Awesome accomplishment, well done.

The next level challenge is to hold a hunting knife between your teeth, drop down on the deer from a tree, and cut his throat on the run through the brambles. Actually knew a backwoods guy who hunted that way, and had the scars to show for it, lol.

^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks...^^^

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by toddnbecka View Post
    Awesome accomplishment, well done.

The next level challenge is to hold a hunting knife between your teeth, drop down on the deer from a tree, and cut his throat on the run through the brambles. Actually knew a backwoods guy who hunted that way, and had the scars to show for it, lol.
    Wow. I used to know a guy who had special permission from Wyoming Game and Fish to hunt deer with an atl atl. I don't know if he ever got one.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sfsamm View Post
    That's awesome info to have, I'm not small at 5'10" just not used to the stance. But I am looking to go again and looking to buy one to practice with and get used to in the meantime so I totally love hearing what's worked for others that found weight to make a big difference. Thank you!
    The weight factor is one of many reasons I prefer trad bows. I hunt elk with a guy who shoots a compound, and by the end of the day his shoulder is aching from carrying it. I am carrying a stick. :) On the other hand, maneuvering a longbow through deadfall is no fun. And compounds require a lot less work to shoot accurately. So it sort of evens out.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    IME the advantages of a compound bow are the reduced stress of holding at full draw for any length of time and arrow speed. The carrying weight is certainly greater, but it depends on where you're shooting from as well. A good cam bow with graphite arrows doesn't allow the game much time to jump the string even if it does hear the twang on release.

^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks...^^^

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by toddnbecka View Post
    IME the advantages of a compound bow are the reduced stress of holding at full draw for any length of time and arrow speed. The carrying weight is certainly greater, but it depends on where you're shooting from as well. A good cam bow with graphite arrows doesn't allow the game much time to jump the string even if it does hear the twang on release.
    Yep. Overall, compound bows are a much more effective weapon. I shoot trad bows mostly because I like them. If I want to go high tech and just get some meat on the table, I get out the trusty .270 and do it right. :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    For those of you who crave hunting stories, here it is, in all its non-epic glory!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhistlingBadger View Post
    For those of you who crave hunting stories, here it is, in all its non-epic glory!
    You should totally write a book, you have a skill with writing. great epicly (fyi I don't think that's a real word) written story about your humble adventures in taking your first bow tag to the table.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ha ha, thanks. Must be my teacher side. I had to look it up, but "epically" is a real word! I really like the word epic when it's used correctly, which it seldom is these days. It has gone the way of awesome and extreme: So stupidly overused they don't mean anything anymore.
    Last edited by WhistlingBadger; 10-11-2019 at 10:52 PM.