· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

Default A new, laughable telephone hoax

0 Not allowed!
    Well, here's one that's ridiculous but may still be utterly frightening to some folks.

A recording left twice on our answering machine went something like this:

"A sum of $###.## has been automatically deducted from your bank account for (some kind of) Microsoft Windows thingy and license. If you would like to cancel this subscription and have your money refunded, call this (900-number) 'helpline'. " Then they repeat the number and again say it's their "helpline". I couldn't make out every word, but that was the gist of it.

And they turned right around and left the same message again.

Now, we knew we never set up anything with our bank for any kind of automatic deduction for any kind of license or subscription, so we just ignored it. If anything like that was going on, we would know about it.

But just think of how scary that sounds to some folks who just might call that number, and if they weren't in trouble before, they are after they call and give out whatever sensitive information is going to be asked for.

I don't think Microsoft would ever give anyone a 900 number to call. 900 numbers are usually scam numbers.

There should be a special place in a very hot environment for people who pull hoaxes like that and scare people. It's beyond harassment. It's predatory.

So, watch out, folks, if you get a call like that. If the information doesn't apply to you, delete the call. And even if you think it might in some way, check with your bank, first. Nobody can automatically deduct anything from anyone's account without the account holder authorizing it and signing an authorization card, and personally setting it up with their financial institution.

I get tired of getting these kinds of calls. Haven't these folks anything better to do?
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    If I get a call and don't recognize the #, I don't answer it. If it's important, they can leave a message.

99% of the time, they don't leave a message, because it's a scammer, most likely. I even got a call that was MY OWN CELL PHONE number...obviously, a read flag flew, lol
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I've had that call about automatic deduction from my account for service agreement or whatever. I also do exactly as Matt does - I don't answer my phone unless I recognize the caller. If it's someone I know or some legitimate business, they'll leave a message. I still have a house land-line in addition to my cell phone so most of these calls come through the house phone. Like Matt, one of the caller ID #'s was my house phone #that they were calling!!! I also like the one that said "this is the last time we're calling" - I got that "last time" call at least a dozen times.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

0 Not allowed!
    These guys did leave a message -- two of them exactly the same -- on our answering machine. We played them back to hear them, then deleted them.

Just because a message is left on an answering machine doesn't mean it's from a legitimate business. This wasn't even a live person leaving the message -- it was a recording. I definitely do NOT talk to recordings!

And we've been getting another interesting one that simply says "UNAVAILABLE" in the display window on our phone. Sometimes it's accompanied by an unfamiliar number, and sometimes no number at all, just the word. It could be an unlisted number, but why would someone call and make it known they're "UNAVAILABLE"?

There's so much nonsense going on these days. Yet, people fall for it.

We deleted the account deduction message as soon as we learned that's what it was.

Our new answering machine doesn't let us hear the caller while they're making the call. Our previous machine did. We only get to hear the call when we play the message back. I don't like that, but that's how this machine works.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    My best friends mother, whom is not dim witted, got nailed on one of the IRS scams. She called my friend (she has an iPhone) because she needed another $2500 or some such amount in iTunes cards and she couldn't find anymore. I worked at for the sheriff's office at the time and overheard a small piece of their conversation over the phone and instantly interrupted and ended up explaining how BS it is to her mother whom had already provided several hundred dollars in iTunes to them that day.

They pray on people, old/young, smart/dim, rich/poor they don't care. It's an awful horrible thing to con someone and its become rampant in email and power calling from other countries and ours.

The IRS scammers for quite a while called me regularly, unfortunately then as well as now I've not been blessed with the allowance of ignoring calls most of the time. I used to mess with them fairly heavily when they called me and I didn't recognize it for the number or was on bluetooth and didn't look.... they threatened to burn down my house and light my dog on fire if I didnt pay them once! I'm not kidding, it even caught me and my mess with them mood off balance and I told the guy alright dude but that's a little personal what'd my dog ever do to you! they're extremely manipulative.

My son called me one day at work a few weeks back because some number kept calling and calling and calling his cell. He doesn't answer if its not his contact list. I told him to ignore it... about 30 minutes later he calls and they are still calling repeatedly. He was trying to text me to say he was going to turn his phone off because they wouldn't stop and accidentally answered... in a matter of a minute or two they got my 10 year old son in tears telling him they were arresting his parents and suspending his SSN and taking their house because of the financial crimes he'd committed. I had to reassure him it's a scam and people are jerks and we're fine no one was getting arrested. They don't care, these people would have let my son send them his Amazon gift card codes! Evil people!

900 numbers, oldest scam tool ever. Make them call you and charge any price you want per minute for your time on the phone and it just goes their phone bill.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    This is a particularly despicable form of evil behavior. These people are predators. They prey on others. I don't even try to mess with them. I just ignore them and delete the messages as soon as I find out what they are. This is why I liked our previous answering machine -- I was able to listen to the caller while they were leaving the message, so I knew what it was as soon as they hung up. This machine won't let me hear the caller while he or she is calling. Probably some new privacy law or something.

We get these V numbers a lot. A long string of numbers with a V in front of them. And I have a list of "dangerous" area codes that I found in a newspaper. But I just make it a rule of thumb to not respond to unfamiliar callers.

We get calls from all over the country, places we've never been to and have no idea who would want to call us from those places. I have some cousins in the deep south whom I speak with fairly regularly, and I know where they are. Since I started conversing with relatives in Louisiana and Arkansas, I've been receiving an increased amount of calls from those states, but not from their numbers. Somehow, these scammers always know the areas you've called and spoken with people, and then they operate from those areas and try to pester you with their scams.

Some of them are downright vicious. They threaten kids and call incessantly. I think they deserve prison terms if they get caught. The problem is, no one in law enforcement seems to be able to catch these people and arrest them.

The best thing parents can do is educate their kids about these scam calls. Anytime someone calls from a number they don't know, or a name appears in the caller ID that they don't recognize, just don't answer. Teach them never to give out senistive financial information or any other information. Nothing these people ask for is any of their business.

Education is empowerment. The scammers lose, not us.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Healing vibes.  Read and rest your fingers! - RiversGirl   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! (USA) - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    We get them a lot in nz.
    Anything from police to a government department is the general caller name tag they give.

Some times its crime I have committed, to not paying enough tax.
    Just simple things.

Benefit to my phone is I can generally get rid of these numbers pretty easy.
    More or less if I do not give you my number you can't get hold of me, even real event to police have had issues getting in touch due to the phone set up.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

1 Not allowed!
    The other day, I was messing around with one of the student loan scammers. I got him so mad, he cussed me out and demanded that I quit calling them. (yes, you read that right)

It was a moment of personal triumph. My work here is done.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhistlingBadger View Post
    The other day, I was messing around with one of the student loan scammers. I got him so mad, he cussed me out and demanded that I quit calling them. (yes, you read that right)

THAT sounds highly entertaining

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhistlingBadger View Post

My wife derives much pleasure from harassing the scammers when they call her office. She will put them on speaker and her coworkers gather 'round to spectate. From what I hear, she has become quite masterful at playing the idiot and dragging out the calls to 20-40mins at times. She even does stuff like putting them on hold to "go find her card." Every minute she distracts them is potentially saving someone else from getting scammed.

My grandmother got hooked by a scammer pretty good. I got a call from her one morning and when I answered she seemed confused that I answered and asked where I was. Told her I was at my house playing games with my son. She became even more confused and asked how I got home so quickly. When I asked her what she was talking about she told me that I had flown up to NY for a wedding and got arrested for drunk driving after the reception and needed bail money." I told her she got scammed and to immediately call her bank and have them freeze her account. The scammers had already been using it for purchases at a clothing store of all places. But yeah, they got her easily. When she answered the scammer's call they were saying "grandma?? Grandma??? Are you there??" So of course she responded "Andre? Yeah I'm here." After giving them my name without realizing it was simple for them to pretend to be me and pass off the story.

Stay vigilant, folks.