· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

0 Not allowed!
    There's a very hot place in the hereafter for people who rip off the elderly, who are generally trusting and only wish to be kind. Those are the ones most targeted. There's big time bad karma for scammers like that.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwannabe View Post
    There's a very hot place in the hereafter for people who rip off the elderly, who are generally trusting and only wish to be kind. Those are the ones most targeted. There's big time bad karma for scammers like that.
    Yeah that place is quite hot !
    No Cory, No Glory !!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    My wife derives much pleasure from harassing the scammers when they call her office. She will put them on speaker and her coworkers gather 'round to spectate. From what I hear, she has become quite masterful at playing the idiot and dragging out the calls to 20-40mins at times. She even does stuff like putting them on hold to "go find her card." Every minute she distracts them is potentially saving someone else from getting scammed.
    Your wife sounds like a fun person. ha ha OK, I have to ask, have you ever watched James Vietch's stuff? It's all sort of the same, but the first two or three of his talks are pretty funny.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhistlingBadger View Post
    Your wife sounds like a fun person. ha ha OK, I have to ask, have you ever watched James Vietch's stuff? It's all sort of the same, but the first two or three of his talks are pretty funny.
    Oh, I've seen a few of this guy's talks and they were pretty funny.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

0 Not allowed!
    Don't know who that fellow is. Can someone provide a link?
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Some of those are pretty funny. However, it can be DANGEROUS to open spam e-mail. Never mind clicking on any links it may contain. It can be dangerous to just open them. I know. It's a long story, but those spam e-mails can contain viruses that will wipe out everything on your computer. I notice in one of his comic routines, he said something like, "You can do this at home". DON'T! i can tell you about the accident that happened to me a couple years back as the result of something very insidious and unexpected.

Warning. Laugh at this guy all you want, but DON'T reply to spam e-mails. Just delete them -- and make sure they really do go into your trash folder. It doesn't always happen.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    I recently had an update to my android and so now when I get calls from unknown #, I have an option where my call is "screened" and a text opens stating that I am using Google screening and if so and so would let them know who is calling...It never gets further than that before the miscreants hang up. I will go and block their number so they can't call me again.

I also get spam texts...TEXTS! Like spam mail, don't ever open them, just delete immediately!
    5.5g- Shrimp tanks
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    5g Salty Tank
    Fish room-*pending*

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room
    Salty Tank

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    And, make sure when you do delete them that they go directly into your trash folder and don't land somewhere else, instead.

A couple years ago, I got a suspicious email in my inbox. I did what I always do. I checked the selection box and hit the delete button. That's how I have to delete all of my emails. I first have to select it, then delete it. And they always have wound up in the trash, and then are permanently deleted.

I thought that's what had happened with this one.

Unbeknown to me, and unexpectedly, it settled into my sent folder instead of going to trash. My sent folder is where all emails that I send to others, including replies, get deposited so I have a record of what I've sent. I never replied to that email, so it shouldn't have ended up there. But, it did.

One day, I decided to go through my sent folder and clean it out. I was opening various items in there to see if I wanted to keep or get rid of them. I hadn't expected that suspicious email to be in there, and I accidentally opened it. It wiped out everything on my computer. It was a virus that literally shut everything down. My tech had to take it back to its original factory settings, and I had to start all over again uploading pictures and reconstructing what I had lost. This happened before I had a chance to back everything up on my external hard drive. I had just gotten this new computer and was still trying to navigate Windows 8.1 and figure things out.

I thought I was safe when I initially deleted that suspicious e-mail. But people who send viruses use some insidious tactics. So now, whenever I clean out my sent folder, I'm particularly watchful to see that nothing is in there that shouldn't be in there.

That's why I say, never open any spam, and watch where it goes when you delete it. It may just be junk mail, or it may be something a lot worse.
    Last edited by mermaidwannabe; 10-21-2019 at 05:32 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwannabe View Post
    Some of those are pretty funny. However, it can be DANGEROUS to open spam e-mail. Never mind clicking on any links it may contain. It can be dangerous to just open them. I know. It's a long story, but those spam e-mails can contain viruses that will wipe out everything on your computer. I notice in one of his comic routines, he said something like, "You can do this at home". DON'T! i can tell you about the accident that happened to me a couple years back as the result of something very insidious and unexpected.

Warning. Laugh at this guy all you want, but DON'T reply to spam e-mails. Just delete them -- and make sure they really do go into your trash folder. It doesn't always happen.
    I'm sorry but this isn't true. Replying to an email, at worst, informs the sender that there is an active user on the other end of the email and may cause them to focus their efforts on that person.

The whole "dangerous just to open them" was only true back in the early days of electronic messaging and is no longer applicable to modern email clients. In order to understand this, one must understand how those old viruses worked. Back in the days of early emailing systems, the email clients like Outlook would allow HTML and JavaScript to be embedded into the messages themselves. When the poor victim opened up the email, the malicious coding was able to work its magic instantly because it was being activated along with the rest of the message. Once this became a big problem, all the main email providers eliminated this threat by prohibiting malicious code/script from being included in email messages. A lot of modern clients won't even display simple images, such as a small company logo in someone's signature, unless the recipient actively clicks on a button that allows the downloading of the images. Even then, the client will display some sort of cautionary notice about allowing the images to be displayed. Nowadays the ONLY vector for infection from malicious script via email is through the links and attachments included with the message, not the message itself, because there is simply no way for dangerous script to be access automatically by simply viewing the message. It just isn't allowed by any up-to-date email client.

You are safe responding to a scammer provided 1) you do not open any attachments or follow any links (malicious script/software) and 2) you do not provide any personal information (social engineering attacks). The biggest issue with responding to a scammer is that you may cause unnecessary attention to yourself which can lead to harassment and more emailed attempts, which can be addressed by either blocking the sender or changing your email address should they start creating multiple domains to get around your blocking attempts.

I read through your account of what happened with your computer and there simply isn't any way that could have happened by the email simply being selected and moved. That's just not how things work. Any malicious activity had to have been initiated by you opening an attachment that was included with the message. You even stated in your post that it was a new computer and operating system and that you were still trying to figure out how to use it. It is much more likely that you accidentally moved the message into the wrong folder (I think every one of us is guilty of moving a message to the wrong folder) - and then opened up the attachment when you were reviewing all your sent messages later down the road. What you believed happened is akin to an old 1988 Toyota car starting itself up and driving to the grocery store simply because you sat in it.
    Last edited by BluewaterBoof; 10-22-2019 at 06:52 PM.