· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwannabe View Post
    Even though the old members may have few questions or issues, because they've become quite experienced at fish keeping, they still could assist the newbies. They can still come on here and give good advice and also share some of their experiences with the newcomers. And even under the best conditions, new issues for them could still arise, and they could still benefit from troubleshooting here.

I've found the problems with the new server not all that stifling. I don't use some of the features that others have been having problems with, so maybe I haven't been as affected by the new system as some other members have.

For those of you who used to post here -- quit being strangers. William should eventually be able to iron out all the bugs.
    The issue is more complex than a handful of us dusty members can overcome.

The ongoing server problem has been a contributing factor, but it was not the main problem and fixing it will not stop the inevitable.

Forums have been dying for years now because of Facebook and Reddit. Although I am one of those who believes forums have their place alongside the massive social media giants that have taken over much of the world, this doesn't change the fact that platforms like Facebook obliterate us in terms of sheer size and availability/convenience. Hobby-specific groups on Facebook have quadrupled in size over just the past few years. Aquarium groups that were already considered incredibly successful at 25,000 members two years ago are now well above 100,000 members and continue to grow without any signs of slowing down. Those groups offer an absolute smorgasbord of photos, videos, and discussions that are are being posted every second of every day.

There is simply no way for an old busted forum such as ours to compete with that. The majority of "active" members here are here simply because 1) AC has a fond place in their hearts and they refuse to let it go, clutching to their memories of its former glory, and 2) because they refuse to be a part of the social media madness.

Unless we see a huge shift in our current society, sites like Facebook and Reddit are here to stay and will continue to dominate. People who are already part of the billions of Facebook users will continue to focus on their FB groups where they get a constant stream of media and assistance 24/7. As Reddit continues to grow (over 300 million active users last year), our ten year old archives will no longer be top results when the non-Facebook folks turn to their search engines to find out why their fish are dying. Meaning we will see less and less traffic as our old archives are drowned out by all the new and exciting sites out there. Our most active non-journal thread in our entire site right now is a discussion about the WEATHER. You think with activity like that we are going to see a site revival any time soon?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a frontosa, to start your collection - Slaphppy7   4 the help - rookie   

0 Not allowed!
    Right on!!!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Healing vibes.  Read and rest your fingers! - RiversGirl   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! (USA) - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I have tried getting hold of our glorious leader.

But he hasn't responded, even to calls.
    So he must be very busy his end.
    Though mind you if I could swap life as it is I would join him that's for sure.

As for me I am just to busy with working away, and family plus running the fish room.

Though honestly wished I did post more.

One thing I notice is fishlore is active as, as a forum and is most big face book groups.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

1 Not allowed!
    Well, I am one of those who wants no part of the social media madness. I once very briefly had a Facebook account. I found Facebook hard to navigate, couldn't get any help when I needed it, and finally someone hacked into my account there, so I deleted it and I haven't had anything to do with social media since.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I use Facebook mainly for following relatives and friends socially. But I am in the AC Facebook group as well as a New England planted tank group and there's very little going on in either of those. For this hobby, I find the forum format much easier to navigate than Facebook; there's a wealth of information both in current posts and past posts that remain on the forum for several years.

The Planted Tank forum is usually quite active and I visit there often as well. There are many more newbies there looking for information or long timers looking for new suggestions or just opinions. Although it is often heavily tilted toward plants/ferts/tech, I find plenty of info or requests for suggestions re: tank inhabitants/stocking questions/compatibility issues, etc. Lots of posts with pics on layouts that can provide inspiration if needed or just for enjoyment.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a fish. - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I dont even facebook. I cant stand all the pop ups, games and side show attractions which is tailored to make you waste more time. I prefer a forum. It would be great if this one stuck around as my local ones are just not up to par. I got banned from TASA for asking a question about shrimp, which at the time was a banned species, and I was trying to establish that.
    Anyway, I hope this forum stays

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Same here, never had a FB account, and never will....I know it has some usefulness, but I don't need it...wife has one, and she uses it for family and work, but that's it
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Riyadh View Post
    I got banned from TASA for asking a question about shrimp, which at the time was a banned species, and I was trying to establish that.
    That's one of the major problems with social media sites and some of those other forums -- they can censor you just for asking an innocent question or expressing an opinion they don't agree with. It doesn't have to be anything bad -- they just don't like it -- or don't like you -- and they'll take down your posts, ban you, censor you, etc. It's almost like a persecution. Some of the people who run those sites totally lack respect, and some folks on them are downright hateful, and people follow like sheep and perpetuate the bullying, the insults, and the hatred. I think it's dangerous, and that's another reason I stay off social media and choose my forums carefully.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    And as far as staying in touch with family and friends is concerned, that's what a telephone and email are for. Or, good old fashioned written correspondence which, believe it or not, is still greatly appreciated these days by some folks. As far as I know, none of my siblings use social media. They interact personally with the people in their lives. They communicate by more direct means. Anyone close to me who wants to get in touch, or stay in touch, knows there are four ways they can do so: They can call me, they can email me, they can write me, or (with reasonable advanced notice), they can visit me.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family :-) - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you too! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    I use Facebook mainly for following relatives and friends socially. But I am in the AC Facebook group as well as a New England planted tank group and there's very little going on in either of those. For this hobby, I find the forum format much easier to navigate than Facebook; there's a wealth of information both in current posts and past posts that remain on the forum for several years.

The Planted Tank forum is usually quite active and I visit there often as well. There are many more newbies there looking for information or long timers looking for new suggestions or just opinions. Although it is often heavily tilted toward plants/ferts/tech, I find plenty of info or requests for suggestions re: tank inhabitants/stocking questions/compatibility issues, etc. Lots of posts with pics on layouts that can provide inspiration if needed or just for enjoyment.
    The Planted Tank is where I primarily hang out. What I like about TPT is that people can express their differences of opinion about a particular aquarium related topic without moderator intervention ( as long as we are speaking respectfully, of course.) So many forums these days are so hypersensitive to any differences of opinion that they are too heavy-handed in inserting themselves into the conversation to "smooth things over". Healthy debate is how we learn new things- it challenges us to think beyond that which we have already excepted "as true." If your mind still believes all it learned before 18, 25, 40, or even yesterday-- your mind is not being challenged. At all.
    Many of the most experienced in the hobby are passionate about their views, let discussions ( actually encourage!) take place ( again, as long as they are directed towards ideas and not people) that promotes diversity in thinking-- not one way. Ive been on alot of forums- [Ive been banned from a couple as well. ]- and a healthy forum is one where ideas move freely. People can respond in kind freely. Many times a forum starts to develop a "group think" that causes alarm bells to go off when someone comes in and tries to change the narrative. These views and that member become a "nuisance" and, eventually, are shut down/shut out.

For example: I found a new fish-keeping forum a week ago that I joined. The very first day when I was helping someone with an illness question I was told by a moderator that I was "at risk of an infraction." The reason why? It was because I asked this moderator who was also helping the member with the sick fish why they were recommending the medications that they were recommending. This moderator said "because that is the recommended forum protocol." So, I said, "Okay, what illness are you diagnosing this fish with and how will the active ingredients in the meds you are recommending help?" This moderator took it personally ( their ego was wounded) instead of finding this moment as an opportunity for the OP to learn.
    When did asking someone why when they post something become such a problem...